I got a lotta balls

dcinffxva

Apr 9, 2008
Went to one of my most productive areas today (in the rain) and went to an area that I've hit several times that has always produced Civil War era bullets. Covered the same ground that I've gone over before, the last being in the fall, and had the best day of digging bullets that I've ever had, along with plucking an ENORMOUS key out of the ground. The buddy I was with pulled out one musket ball, two very old padlocks, and one flat button loaded with gilt, that I'm eagerly awaiting to see what it looks like cleaned up. It had so much gilt on it, we agreed that it wasn't going to be rubbed clean at the spot. If it turns out to be a military button, it is definitely a nice one. Anyway, here are some of my finds. 7 .69 caliber musket balls, along with 17 smaller "buck" balls from "buck and ball" rounds. The area we were hunting is in close proximity to the Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, and Wilderness battlefields in Virginia. I've already pulled cannister shot, a couple of Eagle buttons, .31, .36, .54, .58 and .69 bullets from the area. He has found the same, plus some grape shot, a couple of musket tools, and a nice Eagle breast plate from the same ground. Just goes to show, if you have a hot spot, hit it over and over again as the ground freezes and thaws. New things turn up.

IMG_4030.jpg

IMG_4026.jpg

IMG_4028.jpg

Upvote 0

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice key :thumbsup: would make anyones day!!!!

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds, now you just need a sac for your balls.

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds and a really cool key! Congrats!
Mike :thumbsup:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That must be the key to the city.....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread