Today was the Day....!!! - Diamonds Update

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Today was the day that metal detecting paid me back. I stopped by a permission that I thought was burned out. After 15 minutes or so of no good signals, I decided to dig pull tabs. I dug 2 pulltabs within a small area and heard a third signal. I have to admit, it didn't sound much different than the other two. I dug it anyway. I saw some scissors, and knew I had hit. I dug almost 150 silver coins last year, but nothing even compared to the feeling of seeing this ring. My hunting buddy lostlake said it was the ugliest thing he has ever seen. I love it, and could care less if it is "ugly". I knew it was gold just by the weight, but had no idea how big it really was. 25 grams of 14K on my old mail scale!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am assuming this is very heavy for a ring. There are 22 diamonds(can't confirm yet, but I am extremely confident they are real). 6 baguette style and 16 little ones. I did a little research, and found out the scissors are a masonic symbol. Hopefully, someone can confirm this for me. On top of everything else, this is the first ring I have ever found that fits my big fingers. Best ring I have ever found, and easily the most valuable. I am stoked!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would have confirmed diamonds tonight, but my jeweler bro-in-law cut his head open and had to go get some stitches. I will update post with his opinion.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson
www.prehistoricartifacts.com
-UPDATE- I was able to take the ring in to my bro-in-laws jewelry shop after work. The first thing he did was weigh the ring on a digital scale. It weighs 25.78 grams. He confirmed 14K gold, and said it is over a half ounce of pure gold!! He was amazed at the size of it, and stated that you don't see too many of that weight. Next, he examined the stones and quickly confirmed that they are real diamonds!! He said the 6 baguette style diamonds were of a very high quality for the cut(good color and lacking flaws), and could easily be used as accent pieces on a high dollar engagement ring. He said the 16 other diamonds really didn't have too much value b/c of their size. He said we would have to take apart to get an accurate carat measurement, so I let that topic rest. I asked him about value and here is what he said. Scrap value would be over $1000, he would sell it as a ring in the $1500-2000 range(he did joke about there being a limited market for the motif...), and it would cost about $3000 to have it made today. Apparently, it is all high quality custom work.
Where I found it- A very large 1847 house in a nice neighborhood
Target- I wasn't too excited when I heard it. Figured it for a pull tab. It was about 6" deep.

Attachments

• 422009f.jpg
    422009f.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,076
  • 422009e.jpg
    422009e.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 1,079
  • 422009d.jpg
    422009d.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 1,041
  • 422009c.jpg
    422009c.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 1,059
  • 422009b.jpg
    422009b.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 1,066
  • 422009a.jpg
    422009a.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 1,060
Upvote 0

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Re: Today was the Day....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, that is cool!!! For someone like me who taught sewing and worked as a seamstress that is a pretty neat ring! congrats and hope the diamonds are real!

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X

I was told that diamonds need to 'breathe'.....that would explain the holes on the inside. Besides, how can light come through when you are wearing it? (Of course, one might argue that 'breathing' takes place when it's on your finger as well).... :tongue3:
supersonicf111 said:
Why are there holes on the inside?

The holes allow light to come through the bottome side of the diamonds. Look at any band type ring with diamonds and you'll usually see holes on the inside. Interesting ring!
[/quote]

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Wow that is one big (ugly) ring...I would be proud to have it in my collection. Congrats!!

NJ

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah, she's butt ugly alright, and heavy.

I'd take her home in a heartbeat though! :love4:

Congratulations!!! :thumbsup:

supersonicf111

Tenderfoot
Mar 26, 2009

lairmo said:
I was told that diamonds need to 'breathe'.....that would explain the holes on the inside. Besides, how can light come through when you are wearing it? (Of course, one might argue that 'breathing' takes place when it's on your finger as well).... :tongue3:
supersonicf111 said:
Why are there holes on the inside?

The holes allow light to come through the bottome side of the diamonds. Look at any band type ring with diamonds and you'll usually see holes on the inside. Interesting ring!
[/quote]

Did the research, so I stand corrected. The holes help in alignment of the diamond and protect the point. They also aid in cleaning the stone.

http://www.jewelry-secrets.com/Othe...In-Rings/Why-Do-Rings-Have-Holes-In-Them.html

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000

Are the scissor arms platinum or white gold? Angry tailor?Hope he never measures my inseam. Terrific find and congratulations.Yeah it's ugly,maybe Jeff will put a paper bag over it for the banner.

OP
OP
pointdlr

pointdlr

Sep 30, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Warsaw,
The scissor is made of the same 14 K yellow gold. I think the flash on the camera just distorted the color a little bit.
Everyone- Thanks for the comments on the ring. It may be ugly, but sure is a good conversation piece.
Regards,
Jon Dickinson.

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Limited market for the Motif. That is classic ;D :thumbsup: I have to respectfully agree. That is a great hunk of gold and jewels. Finding that is a great find. Good job.

TN-Joe

Bronze Member
Oct 8, 2007
Tn
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA500
Man what an ugly ring. :o
Congrads on a super find.
Joe

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
that would keep me detecting for a while!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread