Todays spelling

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya I cringe when a mistake, or several, are found in the kids text books that they are using in school...to learn!
With out getting too political what I hate more is when history books are rewritten to eliminate out what is not considered political correct today.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
There are alot of things in this world that can bring one to sadness. For me spelling aint one of them.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have any of you noticed how absolutely horrid people's spelling has become? You would think with auto correct etc that most mistakes would be caught but not the story it seems. I have seen the word "cheep" used as a term for inexpensive recently which caused me to post this but I've had this on my mind for some time. I fully understand autocorrect causing the use of a wrong word but not a misspelling.
Just wanted to know if anyone else noticed how poor people's spelling has become. Sad, so very sad.

All I can say is watch the evening news in any major City in the US and just listen to the way the folks they interview speak.
Then the miss speled words should not bother you so much, at least you know what the person is saying....

OP
OP
bzbadger

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm upset at the pure laziness and ignorance that has become accepted in our society and the carefree attitude that our youth has these days.
I watch Watters world on Fox news where a guy goes out and interviews everyday people with what should be simple questions and the answers that people give boggles the mind. I honestly hoped that it was just a few people I see here and there that are truly stupid but oh no these interviews show stupidity to be an epidemic. Fresh from receiving diplomas business majors were asked what capitalism is and hadn't a clue. Most graduates couldn't name 5 presidents or extremely sad couldn't recite the pledge of allegiance or know even the name of our national anthem.
People this is why it's important to spell correctly because stupidity starts small, if you can't spell correctly, to know even that basic function then how can you either truly know or be perceived to know much more?

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Boxes on sticks, that go beep
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Have any of you noticed how absolutely horrid people's spelling has become? You would think with auto correct etc that most mistakes would be caught but not the story it seems. I have seen the word "cheep" used as a term for inexpensive recently which caused me to post this but I've had this on my mind for some time. I fully understand autocorrect causing the use of a wrong word but not a misspelling.
Just wanted to know if anyone else noticed how poor people's spelling has become. Sad, so very sad.

I find it offensive that people find you offensive for lying about your true feelings. Shame on you for saying you were sad, when you really meant that you were offended.

Sorry, can't find the sarcasm font, so the sarcastic parts are in blue. Here, have a cat :cat:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thing to add...

The internet was born from "shorthand".
Spelling was never an issue in forums and boards...
In fact shorthand as been the standard and norm since BBS days.

I know...
I have been here since.
People who have been online for many years...
NOT just the last ten or so... I mean long term... know what I am talking about.

MOST people in my opinion are new to online...
Online has always been a shorthand environment.

Now the kids today have even made the shorthand abbreviation land into a "acronym" land. > LOL - started it all.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Err wait ... I take that back...20 YEARS or less..

New to internet. :P

If you were not online using Win 95... your new :P

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Err wait ... I take that back...20 YEARS or less..

New to internet. :P

If you were not online using Win 95... your new :P

yes, Internet was invented before windows 3.x You needed a Unix machine in the beginning with a 300 baud modem that would send and receive your board and email data in batch.. hated when it came in at 1am :unhappysmiley:
https://youtu.be/3I2Q5-15Mic

Had to edit as I typed a word spelled wrong.. OMG!

Last edited:

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I teach free English classes to neighbor kids here in the mountains. I am not saying there are no spelling problems in Spanish. For example, they interchange v and b because they sound the same. And, 'll' and y sometimes gets reversed. But, in general in Spanish, every letter is pronounced, and in general even some 8 year old kids spell and read almost perfectly.

I tell my students that English is a language of barbarians.

You should try to teach spelling in English. I don't even try to defend English as a language. I tell them many years ago, there were no standards at all on spelling in the USA. And, a heavy duty cocaine user, :D :D named Webster produced an official speller. As a result, there are no spelling rules, and not many grammar rules either. And, loads of silent letters.Especially silent e's in many words. One simply has to memorize; memorize; memorize.

Not just the trailing e's that end so many words. as in trace or lace or like. But, also in words like walked, pronounced walkd. They tend to pronounce the silent e's, for example walked would be pronounced walk-ed. Yet, in some cases those e's are pronounced. Waited would be an example.

I told them Webster's speller was so universally accepted (not a silent e) that schools had major public competitions in spelling. And, the winner(s) were considered to be outstanding students.

Yet, today college entry students are barely literate. I tell them the Mexicans do the work because most of US are lazy. And, in the future they may be doing the brain work as well if we do not have a cultural renaissance. :D :D

Almost all my English students are girls. My wife asked me why I had mostly girl students. I smirked and answered, "Strictly coincidence." But, the real reason is the girls here are much more ambitious than the boys are. I don't really know why, yet.

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know why people like bzbadger think they are the super intelligent ones in the world.
I don't care to read this about about people misspelling words and people like bzbadger trying to down people and belittle someone else.
I think these type of posts should be deleted or you can delete mine. I don't feel *******s deserve to read about any of finds and at least 20,000 other posters should agree with me.
I will not post until these post are gone nor will I renew any charter membership and hope all you who agree follow.

LAWL :)

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yup..offended

not about anyones outlook or opinion.just seeing what its like to be offended by something meaningless.hmmmm..it kinda seems silly but at least I tried it...:occasion14:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rogerdodger, badger's post named no members and violated no rules...

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I teach free English classes to neighbor kids here in the mountains. I am not saying there are no spelling problems in Spanish. For example, they interchange v and b because they sound the same. And, 'll' and y sometimes gets reversed. But, in general in Spanish, every letter is pronounced, and in general even some 8 year old kids spell and read almost perfectly.

I tell my students that English is a language of barbarians.

You should try to teach spelling in English. I don't even try to defend English as a language. I tell them many years ago, there were no standards at all on spelling in the USA. And, a heavy duty cocaine user, :D :D named Webster produced an official speller. As a result, there are no spelling rules, and not many grammar rules either. And, loads of silent letters.Especially silent e's in many words. One simply has to memorize; memorize; memorize.

Not just the trailing e's that end so many words. as in trace or lace or like. But, also in words like walked, pronounced walkd. They tend to pronounce the silent e's, for example walked would be pronounced walk-ed. Yet, in some cases those e's are pronounced. Waited would be an example.

I told them Webster's speller was so universally accepted (not a silent e) that schools had major public competitions in spelling. And, the winner(s) were considered to be outstanding students.

Yet, today college entry students are barely literate. I tell them the Mexicans do the work because most of US are lazy. And, in the future they may be doing the brain work as well if we do not have a cultural renaissance. :D :D

Almost all my English students are girls. My wife asked me why I had mostly girl students. I smirked and answered, "Strictly coincidence." But, the real reason is the girls here are much more ambitious than the boys are. I don't really know why, yet.

& silent p's :tongue3: always liked P-nu-mone-ya a in school :laughing7:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't know why people like bzbadger think they are the super intelligent ones in the world.
I don't care to read this about about people misspelling words and people like bzbadger trying to down people and belittle someone else.
I think these type of posts should be deleted or you can delete mine. I don't feel *******s deserve to read about any of finds and at least 20,000 other posters should agree with me.
I will not post until these post are gone nor will I renew any charter membership and hope all you who agree follow.

I hope you find my driving utterly offensive and thereby vow to never drive again.

You never know what road I'll be on next.

...and this is just a question-

bzbadger has an opinion, which is different than yours, and that offends you so greatly because what... the world should go along with only your viewpoint?

finderskeepers

Jul 26, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stop messing with us Treasure Hunter...you misspelled a members name...then a few moments later...POOF!
You just illustrated a point that some try to make and end up getting shouted down by those who feel that "THEIR" message is the most important.

Sometimes, it's just about caring a bit more or a bit less.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
I'm upset at the pure laziness and ignorance that has become accepted in our society and the carefree attitude that our youth has these days.
I watch Watters world on Fox news where a guy goes out and interviews everyday people with what should be simple questions and the answers that people give boggles the mind. I honestly hoped that it was just a few people I see here and there that are truly stupid but oh no these interviews show stupidity to be an epidemic. Fresh from receiving diplomas business majors were asked what capitalism is and hadn't a clue. Most graduates couldn't name 5 presidents or extremely sad couldn't recite the pledge of allegiance or know even the name of our national anthem.
People this is why it's important to spell correctly because stupidity starts small, if you can't spell correctly, to know even that basic function then how can you either truly know or be perceived to know much more?

Just wondering how many people he had to interview to find enough people to prove his point!?

So.. are you basing your opinion about everyone being "pure laziness and ignorance", on just a few examples?

Don't you have more important things in your life to complain about?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems we all type so much now days. I never took typing in school. So when I type it is with two fingers. I have been likened to an old Kung Fu movie "Two fingers of fury".

On another note I have noticed that my cursive writing and my printed writing tend to blend or morph on occasion. Had to prepare a document in the field the other day and decided to use cursive with the long sweeping letters all neatly tied together. ( so I thought)The customer laughed and said "it has been a long time since I have seen such writing". He was still chuckling when he drove off. I get it. Use it or loose it. I think I lost it.

I am glad for "speel check"! I often type then post and move on. I go back and see it later and am like what was I thinking. Misspellings words, reversed words you name it...
Oh well thats me.
Now its all BRB TTYL
Ltr
Thxs

I think a good topic would be Treasure Net phrases.
HH = Happy Hunting

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor and Galice Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems we all type so much now days. I never took typing in school. So when I type it is with two fingers. I have been likened to an old Kung Fu movie "Two fingers of fury".

On another note I have noticed that my cursive writing and my printed writing tend to blend or morph on occasion. Had to prepare a document in the field the other day and decided to use cursive with the long sweeping letters all neatly tied together. ( so I thought)The customer laughed and said "it has been a long time since I have seen such writing". He was still chuckling when he drove off. I get it. Use it or loose it. I think I lost it.

I am glad for "speel check"! I often type then post and move on. I go back and see it later and am like what was I thinking. Misspellings words, reversed words you name it...
Oh well thats me.
Now its all BRB TTYL
Ltr
Thxs

I think a good topic would be Treasure Net phrases.
HH = Happy Hunting

BRB TTYL Be right back! Talk to you later! I knew that immediately.....hmmm.
Yes 2 finger typing, that's how I roll! I can bump the space bar with my thumb though. Oh boy....

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BRB TTYL Be right back! Talk to you later! I knew that immediately.....hmmm.
Yes 2 finger typing, that's how I roll! I can bump the space bar with my thumb though. Oh boy....

yea I'm no fan of abbreviations . I never got into texting.
once I started getting Text messages with shortened words & abbreviations,
I started ignoring texts and eventually contacted ATT & had them lock out Texting from my phone.

I'm not big on talking on the phone either. I always find myself
jumping in to conversations at the wrong time etc. & believe phones should
be used only when absolutely necessary.

But Texting really stuck in my craw :tongue3:

I'm a 1 finger on the Shift Key the other jumoping artoiund the keyboard typerr.

this is what it looks like before corrections

for those who can't read the above :tongue3:

[ I'm a 1 pointer finger poised over the left side shift key.
and the right hand pointer finger jumping around the keyboard fast as I can]

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread