Trash N Batts day with the bugs

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Asked Chief Axe Handle if he dropped his lip rouge in the woods way back when, he just spit some chaw in my direction, giggled and then mosied off into the woods for more tree killin'.

Talking about the old timer who's been hacking away at the woods up here. Me and Trash got there about 6:00 this morning and decided that the incoming rain dictated we should try some bottle hunting first, then md'ing if the gulley began flowing.

Popped out a half dozen fairly quickly, pepper sauce, Little Boy Blue dye, old bromo's and other assorted household items, another #4 stoneware crock lays waiting to be completey removed and ressurected. Them suckers are big, even in pieces. Got a nameplate out from the Quick Meal Stove Co., St. Louis. Left most all of it there in the "community pile" of recovered goodies that others have contributed to recently in diggings there.

Quick Meal was what the bugs made of us, and again this week there is a mutant spider there making webs as big as people, but I got the web this week, it didn't get me. Dang 8 legged freaks.

Check out this link on the old stoves!
http://antiques.lovetoknow.com/Antique_Quick_Meal_Stoves

Attachments

• bottle pile.jpg
    bottle pile.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 161
  • kissproof.jpg
    kissproof.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 129
  • Stove plate.jpg
    Stove plate.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 159

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Little Boy Blue - laundry bluing, probably. Blue dye to make your whites look whiter.

Mom used it when I was growing up, but it was in a plastic bottle then.

trash n cash

Oct 14, 2007
Algonquin IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac / Garrett pro pointer
Nice day for us. Started out being an archaeologist digging for bottles and whats it's.
Then finished the day getting easy clad at the sports parks.
Didn't get enough for that new Angus burger at McDonald's though.
A nice rounded education on the E-trac.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those webs are going to be a scary hazard during the coming weeks. . .
I don't know which is worse. . . the 'skeeters or a face-full of web when you don't know
where it's eight-leg maker is.

OP
OP
Lowbatts

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Hey Mark, this web was one of those classic spiral orbs and about 4 feet in diameter across a deerpath. Walked into it last week, and it's the only one around here that big. I think the spider there was trying to catch a deer.

Usually pay no attention to the spiders around here as we don't have any of the real nasty ones that present a problem to humans. But when they start building me-sized webs, gotta look closer.

Anyhow, got some fest cleanup coinage this morning, scant though it was. Did find 4 cans/bottles of bug repellant that were half full to all the way full. Wonder if that's indicative of their worth to the prior owners....

Did not get enough rain to soften the ground so I'm gonna try to find an ogre to pop the shallow clad for me. Probably gonna go ahead with my groundbreaking work in training moles to dig the deepies. Have had that one on the back burner for too long now.

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
I seem to remember hunting the camp last summer, when everytime you'd turn, you'd end up with a faceful of silk and dried insect exoskeletons. I quickly learned to use the detector as a web-destroyer, waving it at will in front of me. Still, they are not as bad as the mosquitoes right now. Were it not for the mosquitoes, I'd be out in the woods right now.

Nice hunt, and nice pile-o-relics.

Joe

dirtyJohn

Nov 30, 2007
Whiskey Junction, IL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD2, Tesoro Tiger Shark, DetectorPro Uniprobe, DetectorPro Pistol Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are the relic King. Personally I think you pass up on the coin signals just to get at this stuff (a bit of reverse discrimination you might say). HH
John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread