✅ SOLVED Trench Art, but what is it?

vhs07

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
Victoria, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Cortez
I have what I first thought was a letter opener marked Verdun with a shell casing date of 1916.
But after looking at it, the blade part is rather flimsy and easily bent. I don't think it would of
survived long as a letter opener.
Any thoughts?
04052012 partial 086.JPG

04052012 partial 089.JPG

04052012 partial 087.JPG

04052012 partial 088.JPG

04052012 partial 090.JPG

04052012 partial 091.JPG
Thanks,
Charles

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
No, I'm not 100% sure they are actual uniform-type buttons. Only that most I've seen are "referred" to and/or "described" as buttons. But what type of buttons, I really don't know.

Bob
Yes it makes sense that they are surplus buttons or buttons found by poor townspeople. It looks as if they used only the front face of 2 piece types. I would imagine there were many diffent buttons used on these souvenirs..

You could search here for a possible ID on the OPs button. Search is "crown" Waterbury Button - Uniform Buttons, Fashion Buttons, Metal Buttons, Brass Buttons. Collectibles - Civil War Buttons, Titanic, Blazer Button Sets. - Waterbury Button=

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Last but not least, below is what is described as a "WWI British General Service" button.

So the bottom line for me is ...

VHS07's item is a WWI souvenir letter opener from Verdun, France and made from a French bullet with a German button on it.

Which kinda make sense to me based on the current evidence and the fact that the primary conflict was between France and Germany ... both of which I believe are depicted on the item and would have made a good souvenir that would appeal to both French and German tourist alike. After the war was over I'm sure the region got hoards of tourist not only from France but from Germany as well.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :icon_study:

Sodabottlebob

Button - British - General Service WWI.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
And here's an example of what German soldiers might have been making in their trenches. Except in this particular example it depicts a big ol' belt buckle instead of a little ol' button.

(There's that German crown again).

Trench Art - German WWI.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Here is what is described as a typical "French" button found in a WWI trench.

Link: Four Bees: WW1 Button Grouping

SBB

View attachment 624825
That would be Artillery Bob.

Of possible interest, I purchased these beautiful near mint silver Armored Artillery (tank) French officer buttons from eBay for 99 cents. It shows how little value is placed on WW1 items, even early tank items. Now a dirigible artifact or item may be different.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Last but not least, below is what is described as a "WWI British General Service" button.

So the bottom line for me is ...

VHS07's item is a WWI souvenir letter opener from Verdun, France and made from a French bullet with a German button on it.

Which kinda make sense to me based on the current evidence and the fact that the primary conflict was between France and Germany ... both of which I believe are depicted on the item and would have made a good souvenir that would appeal to both French and German tourist alike. After the war was over I'm sure the region got hoards of tourist not only from France but from Germany as well.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! :icon_study:

Sodabottlebob

View attachment 624846
This particular souvenir has a German button on it but I would imagine they used whatever button was available. Look at the links I posted. It seems to show various buttons were used.

The OP will be happy its solved. Another GROUP effort by TN.:hello2:

I had to go into "GO Advanced" to post a simple icon that posted in the top left corner. It took me three attempts to drag in down into its proper place because the screen is not large enough.

Why is it necessary to drag an icon? Wouldnt it be simpler just to post at the curser?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Big Cy ~

I'm holding off doing any more research until we can get a close-up and more details from vhs07 regarding the so called crown button. I now believe it's German, but I'm just not sure. vhs07 and a couple of good pics well tell us for certain. That button website you posted looks promising, but we really need to know what we're looking for first.

Later.

Bob

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
True but I think you nailed it as German. It could also be Prussian.

Did you see those early tank officer buttons I posted?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Did you see those early tank officer buttons I posted?

Yes, I did see those tank buttons and thought they were cool. :icon_thumleft:

I've been seeing lots of German Crown items like the closeup pictured here which is mounted on a bullet casing. But I'm still not sure if they were made from buttons or something else. So far this is the best closeup I've found. We need to see a closeup of vhs07's in order to make a true comparison.

Trench Art - Shell Casing with German Crown.jpg

:dontknow:

German Buttons Cropped.jpg

:icon_scratch:

What Is It Trench Art Crown.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
If I wasn't confused before, I am now. Here's a link to a guy who sounds like he really knows his stuff about trench art. In the text portion he points out that most of it was made post war by struggling, war torn citizens, and that some of it was made by soldiers in shops and not trenches. But the confusing part is that he describes what I thought was a German Crown as an applied British Crown on a Verdun shell casing. And it's not round like a button either. Now I don't know what to think. Or is he wrong and I'm right?

Link with text and pictures: 1916 World War One Trench Art Letter Opener from VERDUN | Zachary Miller Antiques

SBB :icon_scratch:

Trench Art Letter Opener - British Crown.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
"most of it was made post war by struggling, war torn citizens, and that some of it was made by soldiers in shops and not trenches."

This is exactly as we suspected. I dont see any confusion. Its not trench art. If you call it trench art or wartime made, you can get a better price.

There are many variations and some are British crowns, some are German crowns and some are not crowns at all. Some may even be buttons. There is not much difference between a WWI Prussian and English crown. I remember researching this in years past. Actually does it really matter? None of these souvenirs are official. Im sure you can find both on these post war letter openers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Big Cy ~

I hear ya, but I'm mainly talking about vhs07's "Button," which is the focus of my current research. And I think I just answered my own question in that the buttons pictured here, as well as others shown on the site, are just what I've been looking for. Notice that some of them have the outer ring and are textured. But best of all, they're German Buttons. So I'm not confused anymore and back to believing that vhs07's item is a combination of a French shell casing with a German button. (But that it is, as Big Cy pointed out, a post war souvenir letter opener and most likely not made in a trench).

Link: 19 Vintage WWI and Earlier German Imperial Buttons

SBB

Buttons Crown.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
The button pictured here is from that last website and I'm selecting it as a possible candidate as being the same or very similar to the German button like the one attached to vhs07's shell casing.

SBB

Button German - Cropped.jpg

What Is It Trench Art Crown.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The button pictured here is from that last website and I'm selecting it as a possible candidate as being the same or very similar to the German button like the one attached to vhs07's shell casing.

SBB

View attachment 625000

View attachment 625001
That looks like a match. Even though a WWI British crown is very similar, I think its safe to say its German. I wonder how it was attached?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
vhs07

vhs07

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
Victoria, Texas
Detector(s) used
Here are the shell dimensions.
Sorry it took so long to post them.
NOTE: The shell is no longer perfectly round. as I turned it, I got different measurements.

027.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
vhs07

vhs07

Bronze Member
Dec 24, 2007
Victoria, Texas
Detector(s) used
I want to thank everybody for their time and research on this.
I've learned a lot.

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Good group effort. Bob will investigate until he finds the name of the person who made it but its getting very, very close to a green check. :icon_thumleft:

You may want to check back in my links. Instead of $39 for the group they may have been selling for $39 each.:hello:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
vhs07 ~

Thanks for sharing your most unique item. And irregardless if it was made in a WWI trench or afterwards, it is a somber reminder of the price of freedom.

Big Cy ~

Although I do not know the name of the person who made vhs07's particular letter opener, below are the names of a couple of individuals who were involved in the commerical, post war aspect of making and selling trench art.

Here are some of the better reads I found which may serve to assist future readers and researchers of this thread.

Thanks to everyone who took an interest and participated in this topic. It has been most educational to say the least.

Sodabottlebob

The picture at the bottom may include citizens who made trench art near the battlefields ~ But I don't know their names.

Link: Trench Art: An Illustrated History, by Jane Kimball

Pieces described as ‘Trench Art’ have the following distinctly different origins:

1. War souvenirs collected by soldiers or non-combatants during the war and during the demobilization period and modified in some way to serve as a remembrance of the war.
  2. Souvenirs crafted by soldiers during the war.
  3. Souvenirs made for sale to soldiers by other soldiers or civilians during the war.
  4. Souvenirs made by prisoners of war in exchange for food, cigarettes or money.
  5. Mementos of the war made by convalescent soldiers.
  6. Post-war souvenirs made for tourists visiting the battlefields.
  7. Post-war souvenirs made by commercial firms in ‘trench-art style’.

Letter openers or paper knives, often made in a scimitar style from pieces of flat brass soldered to cartridge casings, were a popular 'trench art' item, and an amazing number of these have survived. The more interesting ones of this type are engraved with the names of battles or individuals. Other letter openers utilized copper driving bands or shell fragments to create souvenir letter openers.

When the opportunity to purchase military surplus after WWI arose, Francis Bannerman of Brooklyn, New York purchased a huge amount of this material. Some of Bannerman’s ‘recycled’ and mounted pieces occasionally appear today advertised as ‘trench art’.

Among the most desirable of commercial pieces made from shell casings were those fabricated by the Arts and Crafts artist, Dirk van Erp, an immigrant from Holland who worked as a metal worker in the shipyards near San Francisco. As early as 1900 he began making vases from spent shell casings in a hammered geometric style with artificially patinated finishes.

Link: Trench art - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

When the war ended and civilians began to reclaim their shattered communities, a new market appeared in the form of pilgrims and tourists. Over the ensuing twenty years the mountains of discarded debris, shell casings and equipment were slowly recycled, with mass-produced town crest motifs being stuck onto bullets, shell casings, fuse caps—anything—and sold to tourists.

Alongside items that, by their nature, had to be made in situ, it is fair to assume many smaller items—rings, paper knives, etc.--were made by soldiers either in front line or support trenches, especially in quieter parts of the line.

Link: Trench Art « World War 1 Trench Art

Groups of soldiers often formed small manufacturing cooperatives, similar to knitting circles found in their villages back home. Soldiers with sought after skills, such as etching or welding, were in high demand. While less artistically skilled solders collected and prepared the raw materials and assisted in the polishing the finished pieces of trench art. Although most soldiers took great pride in creating their own souvenirs, an economy of barter developed around the cottage industry of creating trench art. The less artistically inclined soldier’s often traded food or other scarce items for souvenirs to send home.

Magazine Articles with Pictures Link: The Battle of Verdun

Trench Art - Possible  Artisians - American Magazine.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread