Trip to Colonial NE yields Mass Button, CT Copper, Silver Spoon, 2 Cent...

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Hey everyone!
I was fortunate to have pleasant weather for my annual trip to Massachusetts. I managed to get in a scattered 5 hours of detecting before the ground froze to where I couldn't dig anymore. I hit the old field where I did so well last year and came up with a few more great finds. The first find was a SWEET Massachusetts button with a lot if its silver plating still on it. I did a little research but I couldn't find any with the same back mark as mine so any info on that from the button experts would be great. Next, I found the 1787or8 CT copper along with an 1868 2 center in awesome condition. After that I found the thin little silver spoon. It looks like it is a baby or a condiment spoon. I'm not an expert but it looks like a fairly early piece. It has the initials A P engraved in the back along with a hallmark. I can make out a faint "D" and a "B". If anyone has any info on that silversmith, I would love to find out more about it. I also came up with 3 musket balls, 4 buttons, some shoe buckle pieces and the letter "I". I wasn't sure if the "I" is a relic of sorts or if it's modern. The back is lead or zinc filled.
Happy New Years!!!
CC

My apologies for the pictures all being sideways...I haven't found a way to fix that yet. Also here is the link from my finds from the same field last year.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/t...land-field-yields-3-coppers-buttons-more.html

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 175
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    474.6 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    539.1 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    510.4 KB · Views: 134
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    497.3 KB · Views: 132
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    492.7 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    636.4 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    623.3 KB · Views: 120
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    601.4 KB · Views: 141
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    632.9 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    684.9 KB · Views: 135
Last edited:
Upvote 17

Vino

Banned
Jul 7, 2013
Pa.
Detector(s) used
Ctx3030. Xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hunt there!! That button is killer..
And dont worry about the pics..I do the same. If you wver figure it out let me know..lol
George. Happy new year

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The copper is nice but the spoon and Mass button are exceptional! Congrats!

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The spoon, I think, is a berry spoon but I can't find any examples with that scalloped design on the back. I'm thinking early to mid 19th century or earlier.

Last edited:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver spoons are always a special find and a bit rare too . Clearly that one was "rode hard and put away wet " Nice !

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver spoons are always a special find and a bit rare too . Clearly that one was "rode hard and put away wet " Nice !

I think the bowl was meant to look like that. Some berry spoons started out life as a normal spoon but the owner would later hammer out a berry design on the bowl. The date range could be vast so identifying the hallmark is key.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would welcome any and all those finds. You had yourself an exceptional end of year hunt. Congrats to you!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Never seen anyone dig one of those early Mass. buttons. That is an awesome find! That spoon is cool too, and I think Joey has you on the right track to dating it. Let us know what you come up with.

OP
OP
Coilcrazy2

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
I think the bowl was meant to look like that. Some berry spoons started out life as a normal spoon but the owner would later hammer out a berry design on the bowl. The date range could be vast so identifying the hallmark is key.

Great info Joey! I'm still doing research on the hallmark so hopefully we will come up with something. Also, it DOES appear that the mangled appearance actually is a berry design hammering. Thanks for the help!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the button is first quarter of the 19th century. Nice early one and beautiful condition. Yay I get to use my new Tice book lol. Very nice silver spoon as well. I find a tiny little engraved handle that was mid 1700s. But it was way smaller than yours. I believe they were commonly given as a wedding gift. The ones with the initials monogrammed or engraved

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Absolutely ridiculous Mass button. Condition and style are just awesome - this Mass boy is officially adding that one to the bucket...

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm just not sure which I love more the button or the spoon. I look at one and like it the most. Then when I look at the other I like it the most. After going back and forth for nearly 20 minutes the last one I looked at was the button, so by golly that's what I liked the most. But geez, that spoon is awfully nice too. Okay I'm going with the spoon.

All great find though and you certainly had a productive road trip to Mass. Congratulations.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great finds, I like that spoon with all the nicks all over it! Nice 2 center too!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The button and spoon are two great finds, congrats on the hunt.

Somebody should be able to come up with a name for the maker's mark B on the spoon.

toddsumm1

Feb 19, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro w/ProPointer/White's DFX 300/White's DFX/White's Eagle Spectrum/Radio Shack (Bounty Hunter)/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and a little help for you.

help.jpg

PeteWmass

Nov 26, 2012
South Hadley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
neat stuff- what part of Mass were you in - (nothing specific - just "Western Mass" or "Berkshires" or something like that) - just curious as I haven't found any buttons like that one around here...

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's the kind of stuff that makes a guys day. Great finds!

OP
OP
Coilcrazy2

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
neat stuff- what part of Mass were you in - (nothing specific - just "Western Mass" or "Berkshires" or something like that) - just curious as I haven't found any buttons like that one around here...
I was towards the southeastern portion of Mass, Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread