Colonial New England field yields 3 coppers, buttons and more!

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, gray ghost headphones,
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
I went up to Ma to visit some relatives for New Years. Last time I went up I scouted a few places to hunt and this specific field was top on my list. It sits right behind a 1700's inn and I was told it was the location that the militia was trained (I would have to agree with that). If I ever saw an old looking field, this is one. The whole field is lined with stone walls and abandoned picket fencing.:headbang: I managed to get in 3 hunts in the 4 days I was there. The first hunt I went out and immediately started finding early flat buttons...I knew I had a good place to hunt. When the first day was over, I had 7 musket balls, 6 flat buttons, a few buckles and a few other things. Excited about the day before I woke up early the next day and found the 1845 LC, the 1805 draped bust LC, 2 and a half IH's, a handful more musket balls, and a few more buttons. The third day was much like the rest until I was surprised by a BEAUTIFUL 1749 KGII farthing Unfortunately, it fell back in the hole and I nicked the front a few times as I was trying to retrieve it. I also found half of a heel plate, a crotal bell, a spoon, a suspender buckle, a rosette, 2 skeleton keys and some other 200 yr old trinkets. Needless to say, I can't wait to revisit this field in the year to come!!:happysmiley: ....because the coins are from NE I suppose it is appropriate to call them COPPUHS!:laughing7::laughing7:
HAPPY NEW YEAR!:occasion16:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    633.5 KB · Views: 184
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 193
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 222
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 230
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 213
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    532.8 KB · Views: 147
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    545.3 KB · Views: 139
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    594.4 KB · Views: 168
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    584.4 KB · Views: 193
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    611.7 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Upvote 11

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some very nice relics and coins. The KG is actually a half penny. It's in wonderful shape. Congrats.............Hogge

OP
OP
Coilcrazy2

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Some very nice relics and coins. The KG is actually a half penny. It's in wonderful shape. Congrats.............Hogge
Thanks hogge! Yea it is noticeably smaller than my other KG II coppers so I assumed it was a farthing but I'm not really sure.
~CC

ATpro5

Jan 4, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster,At Pro,Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those Are Some Amazing Coppers. Nice Finds!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2.jpg WITH FINDS LIKE THAT - FIELD MUST BE VIRGIN - GOT TO BE SOME OLD SILVER IN THERE SOMEWHERE TOO

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You started the year off right! Great relics!
I'm guessing you made it out of here and won't be hanging around for the 12-18" of snow!
Good timing!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks hogge! Yea it is noticeably smaller than my other KG II coppers so I assumed it was a farthing but I'm not really sure.
~CC

It's definitely a Farthing, regardless of size because it's a much different style of reverse die used. It's also George II, not I.

OP
OP
Coilcrazy2

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
It's definitely a Farthing, regardless of size because it's a much different style of reverse die used. It's also George II, not I.
Okay cool, that's good to know. Yea I meant to type in KGII but I must have forgot the other "I". Thanks for the correction!
~CC

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wicked finds, they are in amazing shape too. Congrats.
ZDD

Valley Ranger

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2011
Shenandoah Valley
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro (2), Makro Racer 2, Garrett AT Pinpointer (2)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice relics!

Metdet49

Dec 25, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro, White's M6, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Predator Tools Little Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice to see some nice finds still being dug up here in the frozen NE. We're in the middle of a pretty hefty snow storm right now. I would love to find one of those KG's, they're still on my bucket list. I also like that octagonal flat button, I've never seen one of those before. I expect there's lots more to find in that field when the weather permits. Good luck and HH.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You picked the right field, that's for sure! That is a sweet farthing, 1749 is a popular date for KGII farthings. The LC's are in nice shape too. I also like the octagonal cufflink, and the shank on that decorative button is outrageous!

dirtydig

Oct 7, 2013
virginia
Detector(s) used
A T Pro, ace 250, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome! would love to have a day like that.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have some kind soil - congrats on the good looking coppers!

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
outstanding. Almost makes me willing to trade florida weather for the frigide north to get to hunt stuff like that.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That my friend is a dream site and it looks like you took full advantage. That kg is gorgeous and the rest of the finds are great as well. That musta been a very fun few days. Great job

OP
OP
Coilcrazy2

Coilcrazy2

Nov 9, 2010
Reading, pa
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265x,
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Tesoro cibola,
Tesoro Outlaw
Nice to see some nice finds still being dug up here in the frozen NE. We're in the middle of a pretty hefty snow storm right now. I would love to find one of those KG's, they're still on my bucket list. I also like that octagonal flat button, I've never seen one of those before. I expect there's lots more to find in that field when the weather permits. Good luck and HH.
Thanks metdet49! Yea I think there was a gold pair of cuff links on here a little while ago just like the octagonal one in the pic. I don't think mine would meet the cut for a banner tho :laughing7:

VERMONTPACKRAT

Bronze Member
Aug 6, 2007
Topsham, Vermont
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705, Garrett ace 250
Great bunch of early finds!! I hope you will be able to get back to the field to swing again, there will be more.

VPR

Wldbil

Bronze Member
May 10, 2010
Claremore OK
Detector(s) used
White's XLT/ Garrett AT Pro/ Ace 250
Man you had a really good vacation and hunts with that field,great job on the finds and scouting a nice place!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread