trouble finding silver coins with ace 250

bman4

Aug 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im having some trouble finding silver coins with my ace 250. i have been practicing in my back yard. i dig a hole about 4-6 inches and put a silver dime in it. i dont cover the hole with the plug, i swing my detector over it and nothing goes off in any mode. i also bought an upgrade coil, the excelerator dd coil and still nothing. i have the wire wrapped tight around the shaft. if anyone had this problem or can help me i would greatly appreciate it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet..JPG The reason you might be having trouble is your 250 has no ground balance. Or more than likely you have the disc set to high, though silver being very conductive I doubt you have it set that high. See if you can pick up the silver dime from the top of the ground or wave it in front of the coil.

OP
OP
B

bman4

Aug 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it does pick it up when i put it on the ground. the sensitivity it two bars from full. and it rings when i do an air test.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a 250 and never had any trouble finding anything with it. Play with the disc a bit. You will be surprised how much it will pick up once you learn it. Mine never did well when i'd try and test it but it always did well on hunts and the more I learned it the better I got. Like garrett says it will take at least 100 hours to get comfy with it. Believe me there is a big difference in how much you learn between 50 and 100 hours of use.

PostalTwo

Dec 25, 2012
edmonton
Detector(s) used
whites v3. past detectors bh disc 2200/3300, garrett at gold
try measureing the hole to 4" and try again if u get it then make the hole deeper and try again. i do not have a250 but with my machine its prob 7" max on a dime. with no gb it could be a problem also i would max the sen for anythin 6" +. another thing to try is slow down your swing i remember once when i just got my machine misssing a quarter sitting right on the surface why? cuz i was swinging way to fast. now i swing way slow especially if im looking to go deep targets

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try measureing the hole to 4" and try again if u get it then make the hole deeper and try again. i do not have a250 but with my machine its prob 7" max on a dime. with no gb it could be a problem also i would max the sen for anythin 6" +. another thing to try is slow down your swing i remember once when i just got my machine misssing a quarter sitting right on the surface why? cuz i was swinging way to fast. now i swing way slow especially if im looking to go deep targets
Good post!!! I forgot to reply about the swing speed thinking everyone used the same speed. Different detectors require different speeds for the processor to work.

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Did you ever get your coil to work correctly. I'm asking because I was debating about this same coil or the garrett made dd. Did it make any difference and would you buy it again.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had my ace for almost a 9 months never found silver. Bought a minelab safari and re hit every spot I went to with my ace and found silver. Including one spot where I pulled 6 coins from the 1800s.

dustbuster

Nov 10, 2008
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro
I find that the silver shows up in the dime range. I' ve found a number of rings and a few silver coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread