South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok, this is crazy, but I have now dug 32 straight wheats without a silver coin. My ratio is typically 4:1. Was thinking it is just a law of probability glitch, but now thinking issue with my detector, settings or lack of experience with the 600. Man I can dig a deep wheat with this, but....

Brought a Rosie and Silver Wash today to do some testing at some sites vs the backyard. Aaarghhhh...

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man I am with you. This thing loves wheaties but has only gotten me two silver coins. The silver sounded really good but wasn't at much depth. I am a bit chagrinned by this machine. My AT pro is just " luckier" . Plus this thing really locks onto canslaw unlike any of my other machines that are less often fooled. The VDI on all my other machines tends to bounce around for slaw but this baby locks on and convinces me its a good target. I am less than 100 hrs with the 600. I am hoping I just need to put her on a good site but I have not found any deep coins except at the beach. I know she'll find me a dime at 10-11 inches and a quarter at 15-16 . Huh. Let us know what your observations are.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
It seems silver doesn't get that halo around it like a copper coin. I think that halo makes it easier to find wheats compared to the silver dime at same depth.

Dimes at 11 inches, if they are solid enough signals, sure sounds appealing. BUT! I'm still on the fence for the EQ...

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Man I am with you. This thing loves wheaties but has only gotten me two silver coins. The silver sounded really good but wasn't at much depth. I am a bit chagrinned by this machine. My AT pro is just " luckier" . Plus this thing really locks onto canslaw unlike any of my other machines that are less often fooled. The VDI on all my other machines tends to bounce around for slaw but this baby locks on and convinces me its a good target. I am less than 100 hrs with the 600. I am hoping I just need to put her on a good site but I have not found any deep coins except at the beach. I know she'll find me a dime at 10-11 inches and a quarter at 15-16 . Huh. Let us know what your observations are.

I went to an abandoned ball field, now a multi purpose field at the park near work. Got a deep solid 12, perfect small tone, dug an old clad nickel 6” down . (My 600 hits nickels on 12) Dropped in a Rosie under the plug and got a nice 26-27 consistent tone. (Same as I got for the 2 silver dimes I have dug with the 600) Then dropped in the quarter, flat on bottom under plug and got a bouncy 12-31, 15-30, 25-32, signal. I guess I will be digging these bouncy signals that get into the low 30’s and still pinpoint correctly and small.

I occasionally get fooled with a can top or smashed screw cap with the 600, but not so much with can slaw. If I get a high tone, pretty consistent then pinpoint and it has moved to the edge of the coil or further, then reswing this and it drops to 14-16, I pass and assume canslaw. If it is a good hightone and I can lift my coil 6” and still get the same good hightone, I pass and assume canslaw.

Note that I typically have 45 minutes to hunt so I research a site, select an area and go low and slow, but have to cherry pick because of time. Unfortunately I don’t have the luxury of digging all.

I’m at about 70 hours, I need to put in a lot more and looking forward to my first beach hunt with the 600 soon.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you done the latest update Minelab just released?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would really be helpful if search profile and settings were provided with your posts. You are basically talking about at least 6 different possible detector configurations (8 if you are talking 800) that each behave quite differently on the exact same target. Otherwise, frankly, this issue sounds more site dependent than detector dependent.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Would really be helpful if search profile and settings were provided with your posts. You are basically talking about at least 6 different possible detector configurations (8 if you are talking 800) that each behave quite differently on the exact same target. Otherwise, frankly, this issue sounds more site dependent than detector dependent.

600, Park 1 & Field 2, 50/50. Auto GB, Recovery speed 2 (middle). Hunting at old parks, schools, fields, cellar holes in W PA. Besides wheats I’m finding buffs, Vs, IHP’s,silver and gold rings, flat buttons and other relics. I’m just cursed on silver coins. Not looking for a solution, just needed to share frustrating streak.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it. Well at least you are hitting everything else, lol. So yeah, it sounds like snakebit luck on silver coins versus a detector problem. Frustrasting nevertheless. When you do break through bet it will be something special like my seated Quarter and dime found in the same field that I had hunted 5 times before without a sniff of 19th century silver (while others were pulling out plenty of old silvers). I kind of said, enough with that, I am pulling an old silver this time out and sure enough popped not one but two out.
These things come in bunches once you break the curse. So if they are there, you will find them with enough perseverence.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ONLY digging wheats?::)I am waiting on the release of the equinox 1000, it only finds silver but can identify and display the can slaw by the product brand of the can it came from due to it's enormous 6"x 6" 4K resolution display screen. TID and depth are always 100% accurate. No more " just finding wheats" problems. Updates sent via wifi hot spots. Pre-order today for the 2020-ish release.
I am sorry for the sarcasm but "chagrinned by this machine", already ? Really? It's not a silver messiah, still just a metal detector.:laughing7: Good Luck and Happy Hunting!:icon_thumright:

TomNWMI

Feb 5, 2006
NWMI
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Musketeer, Tek G2, Omega and a Fisher ID Edge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to an abandoned ball field, now a multi purpose field at the park near work. Got a deep solid 12, perfect small tone, dug an old clad nickel 6” down . (My 600 hits nickels on 12) Dropped in a Rosie under the plug and got a nice 26-27 consistent tone. (Same as I got for the 2 silver dimes I have dug with the 600) Then dropped in the quarter, flat on bottom under plug and got a bouncy 12-31, 15-30, 25-32, signal. I guess I will be digging these bouncy signals that get into the low 30’s and still pinpoint correctly and small.

I occasionally get fooled with a can top or smashed screw cap with the 600, but not so much with can slaw. If I get a high tone, pretty consistent then pinpoint and it has moved to the edge of the coil or further, then reswing this and it drops to 14-16, I pass and assume canslaw. If it is a good hightone and I can lift my coil 6” and still get the same good hightone, I pass and assume canslaw.

Note that I typically have 45 minutes to hunt so I research a site, select an area and go low and slow, but have to cherry pick because of time. Unfortunately I don’t have the luxury of digging all.

I’m at about 70 hours, I need to put in a lot more and looking forward to my first beach hunt with the 600 soon.

I got a clad quarter at 10"-12" the other day and it was mostly 29-30 had that nice soft flutey sound, which I describe as a wavering high tone. 5 tone, field 2 using high sensitivity.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ONLY digging wheats?::)I am waiting on the release of the equinox 1000, it only finds silver but can identify and display the can slaw by the product brand of the can it came from due to it's enormous 6"x 6" 4K resolution display screen. TID and depth are always 100% accurate. No more " just finding wheats" problems. Updates sent via wifi hot spots. Pre-order today for the 2020-ish release.
I am sorry for the sarcasm but "chagrinned by this machine", already ? Really? It's not a silver messiah, still just a metal detector.:laughing7: Good Luck and Happy Hunting!:icon_thumright:

Put me on "Pre-order" for that one please.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a clad quarter at 10"-12" the other day and it was mostly 29-30 had that nice soft flutey sound, which I describe as a wavering high tone. 5 tone, field 2 using high sensitivity.

Quarters have tended to be flutey for me on the beach with the Equinox for some reason. They sound very similar to coin spills. Haven't had a chance to take my detector out there since the update though which may have addressed the issue.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Previous Minelab detectors were very good on silver, while avoiding digging wheats if a person wanted to. So maybe the sites have been cherry picked.

ZR2guy

Jan 6, 2011
Southwest Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 700 (stock and 6" coil), Pro-find 35 PP, Makro PP, and a little luck.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree that possibly the site/sites have been cherry-picked. This happens more than most know or want to believe. Clad quarters get pulled in as well.

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I agree with the site selection dependent answer. I noticed that Brad on green mountain metal detecting on youtube digs way more copper coins than silver. But the silver he digs tends to be Spanish reales. In his case he digs items that were dropped 200 years ago or more. I am starting to hunt civil war sites and complain about the can slaw and pop tops which sound like good solid cw bullets and other relics. But I have been advised an experienced relic hunter that is just the way it is and get used to digging all signals if I don't wish to leave some relics in the ground.

Last edited:

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pulltab, As I said, it will be sort of a dig it all proposition for you for the time being, but getting those swing hours in, you will start you click with the audio nuances and should be able to pick out those minie balls from the slaw with more time on the machine. It may take awhile but one day sooner or later it will just start to click and you will transition from visual being your primary means of target ID to audio being your primary backed up by visual TID.

hunt2day

Greenie
Jun 22, 2012
Lake County Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab explorer 2
Tesoro SandShark
Garrett AT
Minelab Equinox
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the update but I have noticed the 600 is a killer on penny's and clad dimes. I have found only one silver dime and probably 50 pennies including many wheaties. I would have expected more Silver where the wheaties were found. I like the 600 and am still learning each time I go out but it does seem to love the penny's.

CharlesUpstateNY

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that possibly the site/sites have been cherry-picked. This happens more than most know or want to believe. Clad quarters get pulled in as well.

Go to the site, look around for the absolute last worthless spot anyone would even bother to detect and detect it.

I once got to a city park at dawn on a holiday e.g. no traffic. In the middle of a 4 lane road where 2 roads came together in a V was an island of grass with a light pole and some electrical boxes. But there was about a 4x8 foot patch of grass that looked undisturbed...dug a MASS Colonial go figure.

OP
OP
pa-dirt_nc-sand

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1537397248.127993.jpg
Ended at 34 wheats, saved by a 1922 Merc on the rim of a cellar hole. Crazy streak...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions