Tumacacori Mission Mines RE: Sister Micaela Molina Document

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Warning - rant - feel free to skip this one. ;)

Oroblanco

But because the league and the varas have various lengths , were used in the map . Were used to lure and confuse . Have to see the map geometrically and the key is the San Ramon waters .
Want to make it more simple ? Go from the mission to San Ramon waters and do a measurement . After go about the same distance to a location which is between San Ramon waters and the mission like in the map . Now you are very close and if you use the other clues , you will find it .

Marius amigo I realize that English is not your native language, and we almost always end up in circular discussions like the Dinosaur mountain deal.

Do you really think that DIFFERENT types of league and vara were used in the Molina documents, to lure and confuse? How would the persons that the maps were made FOR, ever figure out what was intended? So I must respectfully disagree in a sense, that the measurements on the Molina documents (map included) are not intended to confuse and mislead, they are straightforward - yet without the KEY to the document these measurements will only take you on a tour of some gorgeous country in Santa Cruz county Arizona. There are mines there to be sure, and so far NO ONE seems to be able to tie in those KNOWN mines with the Molina document. Comprende amigo?

Do you know where the San Ramon spring is located? I do - and it is not where many people think it to be. There are issues of access involved too, remember not ALL lands in the area are "public" at all, quite a bit is either private land or Indian reservations. So it is a tricky proposition even if you know exactly where all the mines and treasure are hidden. Do you know the regulations involved if you were to find a treasure hidden on an Indian reservation? It is not a simple thing. Not impossible to get through legally but much more complicated than if you found it on private or Federal land.

I think that a part of the problem in finding these mines and treasure referred to in the Molina document(s) is that Tumacacori was hardly the only mission in Pimeria Alta, and certainly not the only mission that had mines. People too often forget that besides the little visita at Tumacacori (for it was only a visita in the Jesuit period) there were missions and visitas at Arivaca, Guevavi (which was the "main" mission for the southern visitas) San Xavier del Bac, Sonoita, even Calabasas which was a gold mining and farming mission. No one looks for the treasure of Calabasas, even though that mission almost certainly would have been amassing gold from its Indians working the mines of that area. Even north of Tucson there were small missions and eastward into Cochise county, where shortly after the Jesuits were expelled, a regular Spanish fort or Presidio was built at a place called Terrenate not to mention the Spanish fort (Presidio) of Presidio San Agustín del Tucson at Tucson, established in 1775. Does anyone search for the treasures of these other missions? They may not have accumulated so much as is listed on the Molina document of course, but it seems likely that several of them would have had impressive treasures in their own right. Remember at San Xavier del Bac, the silver altar and ornaments seen by visitors was estimated to be worth some $40,000 in 1850 dollars at that, not to mention the evidence of smelting activities at the same mission. Where did all that silver and gold go?

I am getting carried away here and an ancient proverb comes to mind - "Recognize what is in your sight, and that which is hidden from you will become plain to you . For there is nothing hidden which will not become manifest." (gospel of Thomas, 5) If you hunt through the old newspaper accounts, you will see quite a few claims of having discovered the lost mines of Tumacacori, in fact more mines than are believed to have existed. Every old mine found, that was rich in silver and/or gold and looked old enough to be the work of the Indians under the Jesuits, was pronounced to be the lost Tumacacori mine, or the Purisma Concepcion or the Opata. Not one of our earlier treasure hunters seems to have investigated the fact that Guevavi had mines, Arivaca had mines, even the little mission at Tucson and Franciscan mission near what is Phoenix today and even Sonoita had mines. These are not famous (with one or two possible exceptions like the lost Pima and La Esmeralda) so our treasure hunters never seek them. In my opinion, only a couple of the several dozen old mines found, are really associated with Tumacacori at all, and no one seems to see how to tie them in to the Molina documents/map. Heck after the time of the Jesuits, the Franciscans and even at least one Augustinian padre were active in seeking mines in Arizona, the first placer gold production from Arizona being credited to an Augustinian padre working out of Arivaca in the Baboquiviri area. I do not know why there is so little interest in the Franciscan period, when there is every reason to believe they were mining silver and gold just as were the Jesuits, and they too were kicked out of Mexico in 1823 (or '21, can't recall offhand right now and not willing to hunt it up) they certainly did not take any treasure out with them.

More opinion, so please feel free to disagree happily (To everyone reading this rant) but the Molina "map" is not a map at all, it is an attempt to create a map from the Molina document directions. Someone laid out on paper locations and distances as stated in the Molina text, and in support of this contention there is not ONE landmark on the Molina "map" that is not in the Molina text. If it were a true map, we should see some kinds of landmarks like mountains, rivers, trails, and this is strikingly absent on the Molina map. You could sit down with a paper, compass and straight edge and create your own "Molina map" and it would be as accurate and of as much use as the one posted in this thread.

Sorry for the long winded rant, this particular topic has been a kind of 'pet project' of mine since I first got into treasure hunting as an outgrowth of prospecting. Heck my nickname came from it, in a way, for I was convinced that the Purisma Concepcion was located very near the old ghost town of Oro Blanco in a side canyon where several ancient trails seem to lead. Those trails I am now convinced are not man-made but are cowpaths and animal trails, and Purisma Concepcion is not there, but at any rate you can find evidence of mining and prospecting which is clearly from the early 1800s and 1700s all over southern Arizona even in the Chiricahua mountains and as far up the Colorado river as Quartzsite. I wish that some treasure hunters would expend some more effort and time in researching the history of the region for I believe this would lead to greater successes, and not to limit the scope of research to the Jesuit period alone as so many appear to.

Good luck and good hunting amigos, my apologies if anything posted is offensive for nothing was intended that way, if you disagree with what I have said I have no problem in agreeing to disagree, and wish you the very best of luck. Thank you for your time and I hope you all have a very pleasant evening.
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
PS to mi amigo Mike <Gollum> - I see that we really do not disagree on most of this. :thumbsup: You have been very generous with your information, thank you on behalf of everyone who reads our stuff here. I was writing that long winded rant when you posted your last message, just wanted to acknowledge it.

Please do continue amigos, I will not get carried away again.
Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee: :coffee2:

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Marius,

I feel I should probably apologize to you. I keep forgetting that you are not in the US, and English not your first language, so when you post something, I may read your post differently. When I post regarding something I am not certain of, I try to always use "my opinion", "I think", "I believe", etc. I can't say for certain, but I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt that you aren't being arrogant, but you may not understand some of the subtleties of the language. Hope I haven't offended.

Roy,

We really don't disagree too much here. I am just saying that if you are using a key (and for the sake of argument) lets say that your key is the right one. If you are using that key with the copy of The Molina Document from the beginning of this thread, you won't find anything (unless by accident).

The map may not have a strict provenance, but circumstantially (as is the case with most of our projects HAHAHA) I give my copy a lot of weight. Hint: The "My Copy" I am referring to is not the one at the beginning of this thread. I received "my copy" a short time ago. I spent a lot of time comparing it to the best copy I could find of the one at the beginning of this thread. This map is mentioned in the aforeposted newspaper article regarding Judge Barnes and the Jesuit Priest that dug up a bunch of bars, then gave him the map he used. I believe I have a copy of that map.

Best - Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also Marius,

I very much doubt that different values for the VARA were ever used in one document. The difference between the various lengths of the vara, were at different times in history. The difference was not much, but over hundreds or thousands of varas, it could put you off a bunch. There was never a difference in a legua. The only difference was from a statute league or a nautical league.

Mike

johnmark29020

Oct 8, 2012
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont discount maps made from oral history or documents.
I had several maps that had been made based off of oral stories.
When I found my site those maps turned out to be very accurate.
Others turned out to be dead wrong.
Thrs make assumption about maps based on the person who was known to own the maps.
For example crazy jake. Much of his information was correct. He wasnt using it right. So he was off.
After finding my location. I got to compare one of jakes maps to my site. The map was perfect. The starting point he had was wrong.
Celeste Jones had very good information. She was convinced of a treasure cave hidden at the top of el sombrero. When I stood looking at that cave. I knew her info was right.
She like jake used it wrong. Ended up at the wrong place.
So even if you think the hunter is a idiot or crook dont rule out there info completely.
I offered to turn over my site to the tnf. They said I needed proof of what I had found. Since I have cancer. I may never get that proof. Still it was fun searching,reading, and spending time in az. The best part was learning from all of you guys. Even catusjumper who said I betrayed him. Still not sure how i did that.
Reading a old story about some lost treasure is ok
But you guys make those stories and people live. Even if you dont find anything worth while. You have keeped people good and bad alive.
Thats pretty impressive to me.
Thanks and have a cup of coffee on me.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.

Its not that she believed a cave was on Weaver's Needle. She said she found an alabaster cross that was set in the entrance to a cave there. She claimed they blasted it out of the way to see what was behind it. Celeste Jones also believed there was a tunnel the Jesuits built that ran all the way under the Supers. Bob Corbin told me all that one night when we had a long talk about his memories of his times in the Supers looking for the LDM.

Celeste Jones was kookooforcocoapuffs! He told me she was still alive in L.A. somewhere. As much as I love history, I won't look her up.

Mike

johnmark29020

Oct 8, 2012
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.

Its not that she believed a cave was on Weaver's Needle. She said she found an alabaster cross that was set in the entrance to a cave there. She claimed they blasted it out of the way to see what was behind it. Celeste Jones also believed there was a tunnel the Jesuits built that ran all the way under the Supers. Bob Corbin told me all that one night when we had a long talk about his memories of his times in the Supers looking for the LDM.

Celeste Jones was kookooforcocoapuffs! He told me she was still alive in L.A. somewhere. As much as I love history, I won't look her up.

Mike

Robert S said in his book. She had him and others climbing to the top looking for a entrance on a ledge.
I agree she was a nut. I think someone else was feeding her information. She had secret investors who lived in az. Atleast thats what Robert S hinted at in his book. A dont know about the tunnel.

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Robert S said in his book. She had him and others climbing to the top looking for a entrance on a ledge.
I agree she was a nut. I think someone else was feeding her information. She had secret investors who lived in az. Atleast thats what Robert S hinted at in his book. A dont know about the tunnel.

Bob Corbin told me all her information came to her in dreams. He was grubstaking her for a while, but one time he and his assistant were visiting her at their camp, and she asked him to find her someone to kill Ed Piper. He said as of that moment he had nothing else to do with her.

Mike

johnmark29020

Oct 8, 2012
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob Corbin told me all her information came to her in dreams. He was grubstaking her for a while, but one time he and his assistant were visiting her at their camp, and she asked him to find her someone to kill Ed Piper. He said as of that moment he had nothing else to do with her.

Mike

I didnt know bob corbin grubstaked her. Thats so cool. Just when you think you know it all. More info comes to light.

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Marius,

I feel I should probably apologize to you. I keep forgetting that you are not in the US, and English not your first language, so when you post something, I may read your post differently. When I post regarding something I am not certain of, I try to always use "my opinion", "I think", "I believe", etc. I can't say for certain, but I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt that you aren't being arrogant, but you may not understand some of the subtleties of the language. Hope I haven't offended.

Roy,

We really don't disagree too much here. I am just saying that if you are using a key (and for the sake of argument) lets say that your key is the right one. If you are using that key with the copy of The Molina Document from the beginning of this thread, you won't find anything (unless by accident).

The map may not have a strict provenance, but circumstantially (as is the case with most of our projects HAHAHA) I give my copy a lot of weight. Hint: The "My Copy" I am referring to is not the one at the beginning of this thread. I received "my copy" a short time ago. I spent a lot of time comparing it to the best copy I could find of the one at the beginning of this thread. This map is mentioned in the aforeposted newspaper article regarding Judge Barnes and the Jesuit Priest that dug up a bunch of bars, then gave him the map he used. I believe I have a copy of that map.

Best - Mike

Oh Mike if you only knew. Thanks for the tidbits on Bob C and Celeste Jones, did not know that.

Please do continue,
Oroblanco

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Roy,

It's an old story. Surprised you didn't know it.

Take care,

Joe

Joe the stuff I don't know would fill whole sets of encyclopedias! Even had a little discussion with Bob C about Celeste that first night on meeting him, and he never mentioned anything about having grubstaked her. But we were covering a lot of ground at the time, perhaps he might have mentioned it if I had asked further. He may even have told me and I have forgot it, he has so many really interesting stories it was fascinating. Now thinking on it, I had asked him how much the blasting Celeste had done, had changed the profile of the Needle, so that was the angle being covered, never thought to ask about grubstaking.

I wonder if we could invite Celeste to join us at the next rendezvous? Perhaps if she knew that Bob C would come? I think she would be an interesting person to listen to.

Sorry for drifting off topic a bit there - now about the Sister Micaela Molina document! :thumbsup: The Park Service says it is a fake! A funny thing but it appears that the US Park Service has either moved their online article or removed it entirely, my link no longer works. So anyway why should we put any trust in it, when the Park Service made a case that it is a big fake? Thanks in advance;
Oroblanco

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Roy,

Bob will keep you up 'til 4 in the morning if you don't call a halt to his stories. He spent a weekend with us a few years ago, and I'm still recovering from lack of sleep. Problem is, his stories are so interesting that you don't want him to stop.

I may have that Park Service article.......buried somewhere. I will look for it.

Take care,

Joe

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Roy,

Forgot to mention that I firmly believe that the Molina Document is a complete fraud. I see that Mike is coming up with a new twist that there is a real document that, so far, very few people have seen. That would take care of the OBVIOUS errors in the one that has been made public. In that respect, the Park Service can hardly be found at fault for declaring it a false/fake (made up) story.:dontknow:

Good luck,

Joe

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roy,

Forgot to mention that I firmly believe that the Molina Document is a complete fraud. I see that Mike is coming up with a new twist that there is a real document that, so far, very few people have seen. That would take care of the OBVIOUS errors in the one that has been made public. In that respect, the Park Service can hardly be found at fault for declaring it a false/fake (made up) story.:dontknow:

Good luck,

Joe

Joe,

I shot down the Park Service's reasoning for calling it a hoax a long time ago. Way before I found this article about Mr Ortiz in Nogalez.

The Park Service's big reasoning for calling it a hoax was the orientation of the document and the writing. They say it doesn't jibe with anything known Colonial Spanish. Of course it doesn't. All you have to do is read the story behind it. Sister Micaela Molina found a document when she was working at an archive in either Rome or Spain (depending on what you read). She hand wrote a copy of the document and brought it to her family in Az.

NOBODY ever claimed the document was authentic Colonial Spanish. It was supposed to be a hand written copy from the 1800s. THAT story could still be true in that Sister Micaela Molina may indeed be an ancestor of Mr Ortiz. I can't say with any certainty about its origins. Mitchell might have gotten a copy just like a lot of other people did.

Mike

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Roy,

Bob will keep you up 'til 4 in the morning if you don't call a halt to his stories. He spent a weekend with us a few years ago, and I'm still recovering from lack of sleep. Problem is, his stories are so interesting that you don't want him to stop.

I may have that Park Service article.......buried somewhere. I will look for it.

Take care,

Joe

I would think that article would make a very useful and helpful post here. I can't recall the exact details of their argument, some of which Mike posted early in the thread . However I am in agreement with Mike that the Molina document we can see, is not the original, in fact it was a hand made copy. We don't have the original - if there was one, I would LOVE to see the original. This might account for the mis-spellings and possibly the numbers/dates as well. I have made notes from records that I could not make copies of, and my notes do not look much better than the Molina document, and anyone examining my notes would instantly conclude that it is a FAKE because of the obvious errors and that it clearly does not date to the time period the information relates. Perhaps sister Michaela was not so good with Roman numerals, or perhaps she was hurried, copying something that was 'verboten' to be copying? I am convinced this is what the Molina document is - a hand made copy not intended to be an exact duplicate, just trying to get the salient information. In so doing, it is highly possible that errors crept in. Considering that John D. Mitchell a treasure hunter himself is responsible for bringing the document to the public eye, it is also possible that errors were deliberately added or information changed. I would like to see the reasoning others have, to put faith in the documents rather than hold them in strong doubt.

That said - for most folks, the word of the National Park Service experts is probably as strong as the encyclopedia Britannica. Few will look any farther or question the basis of the arguments.

Have to agree on Bob C too - he is so fascinating that one does not want to end the conversation, and you end up watching the sun set and then rise again. I only wish I had the stamina that man has, and would happily listen to him as long as he would wish to talk. What do you think about inviting Celeste Jones to the 2015 rendezvous? Thank you in advance,

Roy ~ Oroblanco

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
for most folks ......................

Most folks don't understand that the National Park Service is trying to turn the entire Santa Cruz River Valley into a national Monument or Park. Rep Grijalva and the NPS have for many years been lying about the history of the area. They claim that very little mining has ever happened there. The "Planchas de Plata" was only a surface anomaly! Just like when California wanted to turn Death Valley into a National Park. They couldn't kick the miners out unless their claims were invalidated. So, the BLM had geologists go in and sample their mines. ONLY .......... they didn't take samples from the pay streak. They sampled other places and came to the conclusion that the mines weren't worth working. There are many articles that detail all that. Government takeover of public lands.

But don't get me started on that! HAHAHA

Mike

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread