Silver Member
Jan 28, 2005
In a tax haven some where
Detector(s) used
ONES THAT GO BEEP! :-)
Primary Interest:
Other
Don Amigo

Since Gollium was the thread starter of this wonderful topic it only fair he has first bite of the cherry.

Anyway My tropical tramp affectionado Don amigo you have more than your fair share of cherries....now about that book. You know a well written book can my friend inspire people dream even company directors of mining companies. So git writing Amigo.

Crow

johnmark29020

Oct 8, 2012
oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a question. If one of us found the ldm using any of the available info,and we could prove it. Would julia thomas descendent have a inheritance claim,and would that claim over ride current law.
Since its so well documented that waltz gave it to her on his death bed.
Could that be considered a virbel will.

Last edited:

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My number one treasure hunting motto: "Go where the evidence leads, do not try to lead the evidence where you want it to go"

added later: I'm losing it. I had several windows for T-net open and posted this in the wrong thread. Its still good advice, but I didn't mean to post it hear. Sorry.

Last edited:

John_Arizona

Jan 30, 2013
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Spanish Death Rods
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Fake or Not?

I would go look any way.

I live due north of Tumacacori 2 hours drive.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
John, on my next trip north, we have to meet for coffee. Hmmmm 2 hours? Let's see to Tucson it is less than 1 hr ', to Phoenix, another 11/2 hrs, sigh since I only go to Tucson ----

Last edited:

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Don Jose,

Not saying that the Molina Document is a modern-day artifact, but just the fact that the original map has disappeared, creates a red flag for me.

Not saying it should be dismissed out of hand, just saying the "Santa Cruz" River should have been labeled the Santa Maria River..........for one thing.

Good Luck,

Joe Ribaudo

OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don Jose,

Not saying that the Molina Document is a modern-day artifact, but just the fact that the original map has disappeared, creates a red flag for me.

Not saying it should be dismissed out of hand, just saying the "Santa Cruz" River should have been labeled the Santa Maria River..........for one thing.

Good Luck,

Joe Ribaudo

I know you have said this before, but when do you say that the river was first called Santa Cruz?

Mike

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
I know you have said this before, but when do you say that the river was first called Santa Cruz?

Mike

Hi Mike,

I believe around 1787. Without digging up the history of Suamca it's and educated guess.

My minds not working too well these days, so.......Going to get a valve and tube into my brain on the fourth. Hope to be a little brighter then.

Good Luck,

Joe

Last edited:
OP
OP
gollum

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering, because Santa Cruz County, AZ (on their official website), says that:

Santa Cruz County, created in 1899 by Arizona's 20th Territorial Assembly, is named after the Santa Cruz River which was named in the late 1600s by Father Kino. Santa Cruz means "holy cross" in Spanish.

Our History | Santa Cruz County, AZ - Official Website

Also, father Adamo Gilg SJ shows the Rio Santa Cruz on his map of 1692. I am at work right now, and can't find the 1692 map online. I have the 1693, but that does not include this area.

Mike

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Just wondering, because Santa Cruz County, AZ (on their official website), says that:

Our History | Santa Cruz County, AZ - Official Website

Also, father Adamo Gilg SJ shows the Rio Santa Cruz on his map of 1692. I am at work right now, and can't find the 1692 map online. I have the 1693, but that does not include this area.

Mike

Mike,

I believe the information you have quoted is incorrect. Father Kino did not name the Santa Cruz River. I would suggest just two books, although there are many others, to learn the true history of the Santa Cruz River:

"PATHS OF THE PADRES THROUGH SONORA" by Paul M. Roca.....page 75: "The river, which Father Kino called Santa Maria "(it was never Santa Cruz in his lifetime)".....

"FATHER KINO IN ARIZONA" by Fay Jackson Smith, John L. Kessell and Francis J. Fox, S.J.
On page 141 this notation: "Santa Maria del Pilar River (Santa Cruz) :Kino's name for the Santa Cruz River".

That is all I will offer, at this time, but know I could find many more. Not sure is I will be up for that, so you will have to do your own digging.

Good luck,

Joe

Last edited:

lgadbois

Mar 20, 2003
There were many geographic name changes that occurred when the Franciscans took over the area. I think Joe's date is correct.

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
igadbois,

I think the major confusion is caused by people,cities and counties wanting to be attached, however thin the bond may be, to famous/pioneers. The history is pretty clear here. Kino was dead when this particular Santa Cruiz came to be. His own maps and writings all back this up.

Take care,

Joe

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Posts guys!

If you decide to go I'm down there almost every weekend and sometimes during the week. But bring side arms there's a lot of other Treasure Hunters and drug runners down there looking to get rich quick by treasure or illegal drugs or follow you just like in the Superstitions!

I can show you where the original site of Tumacacori is at near the town of Calabasas with the old grave yard from the symbols on the Map.

Anyway Pm me if your interested I can give you copies of the Map, Document and both pages of the Molina Doc's which a lot of people don't have or know about the second page. If you both come at the same time I only have a quad for two but I can bring my Excursion. I have four metal detectors for us to use. And I always bring Steaks, Beer plus a great stories to tell!

Bill

Last edited:

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Posts guys!

If you decide to go I'm down there almost every weekend and sometimes during the week. But bring side arms there's a lot of other Treasure Hunters and drug runners down there looking to get rich quick by treasure or illegal drugs or follow you just like in the Superstitions!

I can show you where the original site of Tumacacori is at near the town of Calabasas with the old grave yard from the symbols on the Map.

Anyway Pm me if your interested I can give you copies of the Map, Document and both pages of the Molina Doc's which a lot of people don't have or know about the second page. If you both come at the same time I only have a quad for two but I can bring my Excursion. I have four metal detectors for us to use. And I always bring Steaks, Beer plus a great stories to tell!

Bill
=====================================================================
Beer,,steaks,,,provided detectors,,,quads AND a MAP !!!

Damn,,, count me in for sure.
I have a bunch of vacation time coming up that I need to burn.
LOL

Hit

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmm....free beer AND steaks....and still no takers.

Have you tried the pork chop around the neck thingy?

No takers but you Judy!

As for Pork Chops, I love a good tenderloin sandwich once in a great while!

Never wore it around my neck but if you feel like eating it from there what the heck, no one ever accused me of not being kinky enough!

Might be a tad bit sweaty though from hiking with beer!

Besides, they already PM'd me and wanted Lobster and I'm allergic to shell fish.

It make's me hunt snipe!

In that Covey Thingy...

adtofca

Banned
Jan 22, 2016
California Sun
Detector(s) used
minelab thingy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just an interesting idea of where the maps come from since the chato letter was proven to have been made by Diego Fuentes ( spell check ) in the village
of La Luz new mexico . he made several maps and redotereo letters way long time ago when he was a transient miner going from mining operation to another.
he had a grampa that he would give those maps to and they would sell the maps and letters in a bar they went to down in juarez all the time to
pay for the drinks and chicas . Old Mexican with a Map is almost always the story behind these fake maps . or a Nun at a covent left it to her relatives or
a Mexican Bandit gave it to his family while waiting to be hanged . in 1961 in T or C nm there was a guy that bought one for the mountains nearby . he was an Oil
field worker in his early 20 and he went out in the mountains all the time seeking that treasure and the mine it came from and also he had some news about a bandit treasure in there . when we left T or C in the 1970 he was still looking . my granpa went one day with him and they found a big rock with a scratched figure
on it that was on the map and the man got excited and my granpa tried to tell him that the scratch was not on that rock years ago but somebody who made his map put it there to fool the people who bought the maps from the guy at the bar . but the guy got mad at granpa and they never spoke again. i wonder did that guy ever give up on the false treasure on that map .

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hola ADtofca, What proof do they have that Fuentes made the map? Incidentally there are several ponts that have been misinterpreted in making it virtually imposible to find the goodies - I found that out when I interpreted the Map for My buoum friend gollum.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions