Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
N

natchitoches

what kind of point is it neanderthal?
i think its kind of a rare point type and thats why he was asking.!!

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think he may have answered both in a way.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt you going to give it a go on the type for us?

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be boggy branch I just looked it up. It has fine secondary flaking even on the tail all the way around it. And the base is ground down.

Last edited:

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Could be boggy branch I just looked it up. It has fine secondary flaking even on the tail all the way around it. And the base is ground down.

I don't believe it's a turkeytail or is Turkeytail related. If by beavertail people are referring to Adena, I don't believe it's an Adena either. Did the question of where the point was found ever get answered? Hard to answer what it is without knowing where it's from. Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe it's a turkeytail or is Turkeytail related. If by beavertail people are referring to Adena, I don't believe it's an Adena either. Did the question of where the point was found ever get answered? Hard to answer what it is without knowing where it's from. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks but I didnt find it. The dealer was from Fl but that doesnt mean it is from Fl cause I saw him buying from other vendors just as I did. It was in a big grab box with a lot of other arrowheads. All different types.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is absolutely no way of telling that is authentic or not. Typing it might be senseless. Just call it a blue light special... nothing against you Rock I just don't like commercialization Of anything meaningful.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is absolutely no way of telling that is authentic or not. Typing it might be senseless.

It isnt fake if that is what you mean. As I have told you many times there was no fake items at that show. There was a person in charge and he was there. He was making sure everything was correct.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay because he said so. Gotcha. All I'm saying Is you will never know for sure.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Last edited:

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
natchitoches said:
what kind of point is it neanderthal?
i think its kind of a rare point type and thats why he was asking.!!

I think he may not have wanted to help put another price tag on that poor stone.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't get broken shell in a grab box..
Haha..

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rock said:
Thanks but I didnt find it. The dealer was from Fl but that doesnt mean it is from Fl cause I saw him buying from other vendors just as I did. It was in a big grab box with a lot of other arrowheads. All different types.

Hahaha.. poor poor little stones

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock here is one from just down the road from you. The material is typical hornstone. Personal find. Hope this helps. You have to know provenance and the best way to do that is find it yourself :) Sorry for the dirty hands but doing electrolysis on some iron relics,lol

photo copy.JPG

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Rock, I'm not here to insult your intelligence at all. I feel like you have plenty of experience with artifacts, bought or found. For the guys that keep hounding your dealing, they don't have to buy, I don't, but for the people that do buy, you are only trying to be fair to them. I really respect your sincerity to your customers. Since buying and selling is apparently a part of this hobby now, if Matt does know what you have, and refuses to enlighten you, that is his choice. However, if that is the case, I hope he realizes by not helping you, he is harming all collectors, and yes, that includes him. As for the "expert" at the sale, he/she can't possibly go through grab boxes of stuff. Notice expert is in " ". The quotations normally mean, in my post, that what ever word is in their is fiction. Well, fiction in my belief. Good luck Rock! If this is a piece that you are selling, good luck with that, and thanks for not just slapping a name on it and let be. You are, at least, trying to do what's right.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No I bought it cause I like and have never seen a Turkey Tail Point in person. I found the tail large and then I saw they were called Beaver Tails if the tail was large like this one. My guide says they are rare where I live so I figured it wasnt from my area. Although Tn Mountains has found one which by the way looks really nice. HI TN where you been? So I had to ask if anyone had found any like this one before. Just cause it was bought doesnt mean it is fake. If you dont want to buy them so be it. But if you dont know then keep your thoughts civil and dont try to knock it out because no one will look at your thread you have posted. This was a true question and I wanted to know. And Matt a lot of times wont comment on a artifact unless he knows you. I just love this point and am keeping it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please keep it civil...

Rock, someone asking if it is a personal find is not an insult or attack, it is a legitimate question. Since you sell on here your going to be asked those kind of questions, even if you don't plan on selling the piece now or ever.

When a piece is not a personal find it will always bring into question if it is authentic or repro.

I only buy from one person, and all of his are personal finds and come with lifetime guarantee of authenticity which is easy for him to give since they are personal finds. His full time job is digging artifacts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread