TV show about Florida Treasurehunters/divers

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
I talked to this girl on the phone and had her send me the info. If anyone is interested contact her and mention my name. I told her that I wasn't likely to be good material but I do know a lot of interesting characters.

Dear John

It was a pleasure speaking with you!

Below is a blurb about the show and video info to forward to your friends. -----

Bray Entertainment, the Co-Creators of Pawn Stars, is currently developing a documentary TV show about modern day prospectors, divers, dredgers and treasure hunters. The show will follow an intriguing and interesting team as they explore unknown terrain looking to unearth the next big historical discovery.

If you would like to apply right away, here are the instructions on how to submit a casting video.

Website to submit a casting video - www.wetransfer.com/
Step 1: Add file - add your video
Step 2: Enter friends email address - [email protected]
Step 3: Enter your email Address
Step 4: Type your message - Tell us your location, your name, and your companies name
Step 5: Click Transfer

Please answer these questions in the video -
What is your full name?
How old are you?
What is your job title?
How long have you been working in the industry?
What part of your job inspires passion?
What are some challenges that come with the territory?
Tell us something, that the person behind the camera wouldn't know about you.
What is the craziest thing that ever happened to you at work? (you can make this up or not, you are allowed to gossip, talk about your love life, ANYTHING! have fun with this one. Make sure to think about it before you answer on video)

Tell us a little bit about yourself and show us the people you work with! I can not express this enough - be creative, show us a lot of energy and most importantly HAVE FUN! This video does not have to be formal or fancy. Just show us you guys being you.

Some Do's and Don'ts of making a video:
- Please have someone else hold the camera for you. Do not hold the camera yourself.
- If you are filming with an iphone, film with the phone horizontally.
- Make sure to film in a well lit area.
- Please do not film with any music or edit with any music.
- Also, stand-up in the video. When you sit, the shot can look static and uneventful.

Deadline for submission is Feb 22nd 4pm EST

Please only send us files in .mov or .mp4
The video file can be no larger than 2 GB to fit on wetransfer. We can not view your video otherwise.

If you have any questions and/or issues with uploading the video, please feel free to call me. All of my contact information is below.

Thank You!

--
--
Bray Entertainment's New Series LORDS OF WAR Premieres Wednesdays from 9p-10p and 11p-12a EST on National Geographic Channel!

Alie Stewart
Bray Entertainment
80 River St. Suite 5D
Hoboken, NJ 07030
p: 212.993.8518.
c: 646.300.0629
f: 347.803.1811
e: [email protected]
brayentertainment.com
t: @bray_ent

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are pushing hard for these types of shows. I was also contacted by Bray Entertainment. There is no "big bucks" in this. If the show was successful and goes into multiple seasons, then you might see some nice $$$, but first season.... don't expect to be running out and buying new cars and houses.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I was contacted recently by Bray and another production company as well. These reality type shows don't usually reflect our industry in a positive light. I told them I wasn't interested, but like John, forwarded them to some individuals who might be.

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
In all honesty, I don't think this type of show would be a good idea. Just look at similarly themed shows like "Gold Rush", "Diamond Divers" or "Bering Sea Gold". It is enough to make an honest treasure seeker sick to see people acting the way they do on these shows.

I'm willing to bet that this would be just another "guided" show with too much input from the producers attempting to add plenty of drama. Pawn Stars, for example, is mostly staged. What do you think they will do with to a bunch of treasure hunters?

Personally, I wouldn't want to be associated with such a show. I'm not saying you shouldn't. But you might want to think about it first.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was contacted recently by Bray and another production company as well. These reality type shows don't usually reflect our industry in a positive light. I told them I wasn't interested, but like John, forwarded them to some individuals who might be.

I agree with Mad4wreaks...... Now if they want to pay me 1 million for one season, I will take the money and then retire to some where in South America at the end of the season.......:laughing7:

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
In all probability, it cannot attract positive approval with Florida's stringent archeology laws. In fact, it could backfire on everyone. Careful with this one...

diver9

Greenie
Feb 7, 2013
Exeter NH
Detector(s) used
Edgetech 4125 side scan sonar and Humminbird 1197 side scan sonar
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As I read her post as to the specs for a submission to their company I see she states "You can make this up"-Huh? So lying is fine as long as it promotes their programming? This says it all about their integrity.

The comments from others here are right on; A few observations myself:

1) I was asked by a statewide newspaper here in NH to do a piece on me about my history hunting/wreck hunting/side scan sonar work in Lake Winnipesaukee; I was already reluctant to do the piece because bottom line it's the media asking you for something-they will twist anything they want to suit their purpose-accuracy is secondary for obvious reasons; The point is they did indeed twist the story to make it read like a novel, left out things I wanted in, put in things that were simply not true or accurate-ticked me off and I told the reporter ahead of time don't even think of twisting/massaging/re-working the information I gave him-but he did it anyway; And nobody ever said thank you;

2) If you think for a second they are not making money on you forget that thought right now; Considering you are the meat of their programming you should get paid-end of story-and I'm don't mean chump change to buy you off with a quick $2,000-real money AND on a continuing basis for re-runs; If not, you're getting used; If you go along with that-it's your fault for agreeing to it;

3) Get a contract; Have a lawyer who specializes in entertainment law read it not your brother-in-law;

4) Re-read what folks have said above-all good stuff; Not saying you shouldn't do it but understand clearly their motivation and where they're coming from-what they want is what's going to happen not what you want, subject to the contract;

Hope it helps.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As I read her post as to the specs for a submission to their company I see she states "You can make this up"-Huh? So lying is fine as long as it promotes their programming? This says it all about their integrity.

They aren't asking for autobiography, they want to see how comfortable you are on camera. Do you look like a talking corpse or are you animated and vibrant? You could be reciting the ABCs if it made the impression they want.

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be very careful with this, you don't want to end up looking like that ex-wrasler dude. These production companies want drama and suspence and most times they have to manufacture it. It can be done well, have a look at the British History channel's Mud Men show. A quality production.
ZDD

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, they contacted a lot of us and not only here in the USA, I have talked with many that received this letter now and the list continues to grow. They are looking for people who can act regular in front of the camera with their video orientation like Jason stated but another Alaska Gold Rush series with a bunch of Toads... I mean a bunch of Todd's screaming at everyone, pouring oil into the rivers and tons of drama designed to ruin mining of all kinds isn't going to happen. This is why they hired the greenies like Todd & his crew the first time cause there's nothing better than a bunch of idiots running around crying all day about how they're getting screwed to make a soap opera that people will watch.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, and with the thousands of hours of footage they shoot, they could probably edit things together to make you look like a saint, a fool, and idiot, or whatever roll they want you to portray.

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I ain't skeered. I just made a video to send them. I'll take my chances. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I know I can do better than all the gold whiners I have seen on TV. I keep reading all the posts on T-Net complaining about how bad all the shows are. If you want something done right sometimes you have to get involved and try doing it yourself. Comments welcome.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
I ain't skeered. I just made a video to send them. I'll take my chances. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. I know I can do better than all the gold whiners I have seen on TV. I keep reading all the posts on T-Net complaining about how bad all the shows are. If you want something done right sometimes you have to get involved and try doing it yourself. Comments welcome.

Bigdog, I think with all your stories, you are just the person that this producer is looking for. I can't wait to see you on TV. Maybe it will be like watching Todd or the guys on the new show. Shipwreck men.

Personally, I wouldn't touch this one with a 10 foot pole, but that's me. I would do a documentary on real underwater treasure hunting, but not the type of show that these people want for, and before you start on me. I already have contract sitting on my desk for a Documentary. I wish you and everyone that applied to this show well. I'm looking forward to seeing the new show. I'm sure it will be entertaining. :happysmiley:

Last edited:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well, good luck with your submission but keep in mind that you will be paid to do what the director tells you. If you don't play by his game, you won't play at all.

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I may not be who they are looking for. I do not like to follow orders. If they want to do a fake "reality" show, it is not for me. I certainly do not claim to be a successful treasure hunter, but I will provide entertainment. I could definitely show how not to find treasure. It would not be an easy task to show real treasure hunting while keeping the locations secret and not showing property owners. I have thought about this for years. I do not want to fake anything like the "moonshiner's" with their jugs of water. My treasure sites are 95% land-based so it is not like there could be underwater shots that could be just anywhere. I am not interested in doing anything illegal, so that leaves out the "pirates". I am into a lot of different things so I would keep it interesting. My demo shows a little bit of most of what I am into.

As far as a comparison to Todd on Gold Rush, I think he is kind of a dumb goober. He is boring and un-inspiring. He is not the least bit entertaining and I am so tired of hearing him say "frickin". What they are doing on that show is so dull they have to invent drama. All the cussing and fighting on these "reality" shows gets old and sets a terrible example for young kids. I will be no part of any such show. Things will be done my way or it won't happen. I know my attitude will not win me any points with some people but if they want the real deal, I am their man. I have produced my own movie and have dealt with a lot of the type of people that produce and direct "entertainment" so I know I will rub a lot of them the wrong way. We will see what happens, if anything.

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Aquanut-Thanks for the lead. I spoke with a person today at Bray. I told them a little about myself and my sitiuation. He told me that I seemed to be exactly what they are looking for. I sent off a package for them today. We will see what they think. I have mixed emotions about all this. Starring on a TV show sounds cool but it does create issues. I love attention but I do not need the wrong kind of attention. I don't want to cause problems for my family and friends. I am not worried about myself.

I don't know the details of how a show would be put together. Usually everything is shot well in advance of being released. Because I will be going after possible real treasures I have to be very careful of what I commit to and who all gets involved. I have absolutely no idea what they would offer me. It will have to be a really good deal for me to be interested. I know that I could do my part. I have always dreamed of digging up the treasures for all the world to see. It is part of my master plan.

I know that since joining T-Net in March a lot of people are of the opinion that I am full of crap. I would like nothing better than to prove them wrong and do it in front of a world-wide audience. I have permission to go after most of the land-based sites but have not attempted to try to get permits for the shipwrecks. Gaining credibility by finding some treasures would help with the permitting process. I know none of this will be easy but that has never stopped me.

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Well Bigdogdad, you are one of the CHARACTERS I had in mind!
John, this could be Bigdogs dream of a life time. I sure hope he becomes a star on TV. I'd even pay money to see a movie about treasure hunting with treasure hunters like Bigdog, wreck Tom or Pawel Novack.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread