Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

old man

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2003
East Coast
Two Spanish warships that sank in 1615 were recently found off the coast of Peru. Spain is not claiming them. Why? No gold, no silver. :BangHead: Read the article.

400-Year-Old Spanish Warships Discovered Under Pacific Ocean Off Peru
Pete, I get the impression that even if the ships contained gold and silver. Peru would tell Spain to take a hike after what Spain did to them in the Odyssey Case.

No gold, no silver," he said in reference to speculation that the ships carried treasures. "But there will be invaluable clues about our history and culture."

After a series of acrimonious legal battles, Spain successfully claimed the right to a trove of gold coins found in 2007 by a U.S.-based exploration firm off the coast of Portugal. Peru lost its claim to part of the treasure even though the coins were mined and minted in its territory while it was part of the Spanish Empire.

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two Spanish warships that sank in 1615 were recently found off the coast of Peru. Spain is not claiming them. Why? No gold, no silver. :BangHead: Read the article.

400-Year-Old Spanish Warships Discovered Under Pacific Ocean Off Peru

It doesn't mention that Spain won't be claiming the wrecks:BangHead: It said Peru tried to claim the treasure from the Mercedes. Because some of the coins were minted in Peru.
And if you read it correctly, Peru want to salvage the wrecks for historical information and not for self gain !! Or to be sold on eBay , They would have Spain's blessing
Your constant Spain Bashing is getting boring .

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
My friend and host in Lima, Admiral Francisco Yabar, was flown into Tampa to verify that the coins of the Mercedes were from Peru. He is also one of two historians in Peru. Miss he and his family tremendously.

DL

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't mention that Spain won't be claiming the wrecks:BangHead: It said Peru tried to claim the treasure from the Mercedes. Because some of the coins were minted in Peru.
QUOTE]

What was warship doing carrying 17 tons of stolen gold and silver anyways?
Stolen :BangHead: Peru was then a colony of Spain !!!!!! Get your facts right :BangHead:
And the Mercedes was carrying silver and gold under orders from the Spanish naval command , because of fear of attack from the English ! Guess what happen.

want2skydive

Jan 12, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

want2skydive

Jan 12, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was there no one in the USA before your family's turn up ?????

Sure there were. I'm from Texas and a ton of blood was spilled on this land. But I don't go around trying to represent it as some sort of peace delegation that took this land. And if you want to play using the "we claimed it last so we can take and keep" rules. As we did in Texas the land. As Spain did in Peru with the gold. And as Odyssey did when Spain lost that gold. That would make it Odyssey's gold then wouldn't it.

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stolen :BangHead: Peru was then a colony of Spain !!!!!! Get your facts right :BangHead:
And the Mercedes was carrying silver and gold under orders from the Spanish naval command , because of fear of attack from the English ! Guess what happen.

And we all know what happened whenever the Spanish met the English, LOL:

drake bowls.png "There's time to finish the game and beat the Spaniards too."

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its ok Spain doesnt like anyone, its behavior to be expected.

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure there were. I'm from Texas and a ton of blood was spilled on this land. But I don't go around trying to represent it as some sort of peace delegation that took this land. And if you want to play using the "we claimed it last so we can take and keep" rules. As we did in Texas the land. As Spain did in Peru with the gold. And as Odyssey did when Spain lost that gold. That would make it Odyssey's gold then wouldn't it.
So if you found Aztec gold in Texas now , Would you give it back to Mexico ? Didn't you take Texas by force off Mexico !

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I have a question. Who goes to a sovereign nation and makes them give up their goodies?

Jolly Mon

Sep 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MORE AND BEYOND OSSY

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2008
BRISBANE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
I can't believe you all are arguing about this AGAIN! Get over it and move on. A simple article about salvaging a historical wreck has once again turned into a match to see who has to biggest set.

DL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread