U.S. Treasure Atluss...Facts or Major Fiction????

M

monkeyman

U.S. Treasure Atlus's...Facts or Major Fiction????

I purchased a couple of the U.S. Treasure Atlus's by Thomas P. Terry many years ago. I didn't really read them very closely at the time and eventually put time away. A couple of months ago I dug them out and started to really read them. I started to wonder...how was this guy able to compile so many different treasure stories about so many different places. Well after studying them indepth I came to a discovery. It would seem that some of the stories do have some basis to them.. HOWEVER...if you read the other stories mixed in...it seems like he just made most of the "Filler Storys" up. I can't prove this, but alot of the "Filler Storys" seem to follow the same lines. If this is true...How completely lame!!! I also noticed that some of his storys appear to be copied almost verbatum from other treasure storys in other books by other authors.
HAS ANYONE GOT ANY INPUT ON THIS SUBJECT...HAS ANYONE ELSE NOTICED THIS WITH THESE "TREASURE ATLUS'S"????

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
Re: U.S. Treasure Atlus's...Facts or Major Fiction????

Hello MonkeyMan ,

As with all treasure tales and stories you have to take them with a grain of salt like my Grandmother used to say. No treasure can be considered genuine until the loot is found. Very few persons will write about exact locations to treasure. They will go find it for themselves!!

The Treasure Atlas will give you a starting point for further research. Then you can decide from the evidence you find if it seems to be only a legend or has some basis in fact.
It does seem that some treasure tales that the amount of loot gets bigger in the telling.
It seems that people like Captain Kidd , Blackbeard Teach , Jean Lafitte , heck even The Jesse James Gang buried treasure in almost every state in the Union according to some books. LOL
I think they buried more loot than they ever stole !!

I don?t think that Terry is trying to pull your leg (or any other body part !) His research covers a staggering amount of information.(The US Treasure Atlas 1974 has over 5,000 leads ! Over 900 in Califoria but only 12 in my state of South Carolina .) There is almost no way he could have checked every lead, but the info is there for us to check on.

The question you asked about fill in stories is a good one.Each state seems to have a
"Doc Jones buried $50,000,000.00 in a Mason Jar somewhere in so and so county"
It could be that the one line written about some caches is all that is known about it.

I think other authors may have copied Terry's info from his books.
I also have no idea where he got his info.Said Library of Congress on his book.

Michael Paul Henson?s book America?s Lost Treasure?s contains info on every state and only has ?over 650 authenicated sites in the US? according to the cover of the book.

For Civil War battles they can be verified in ?The Official Records of the War of the Rebellion.?
There is an online site where it can be searched or you can get the CD off of E-bay for about $10.00.

As for any Confederate payrolls being lost i am not sure. Most Rebs after about 1863 had been fighting without pay for a long time and knew there was probably nothing coming. The Confederacy was broke almost from the start but borrowed money from England and France to support the Cause.

Remember that i am not an expert on any subject, and according to my wife i am wrong almost all the time ! LOL

If you asked if i believed every treasure story, my answer would be no.
If you asked if i wanted to believe, my answer would YES !!

Have fun searching.
Have fun researching.

Two quotes from Louis Lamour
"Gold is forever heavy" &
"Gold is easier found than kept"

Mike in SC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread