Underwater find in Central Florida

cassbiz

Feb 17, 2007
Schmölln, Germany
Detector(s) used
OKM, Whites, JW Fisher, Mala
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The group I go out with have been camped on this site for a while. We used the OKM Rover C and Grail Finder to locate the object and then verified it's presence with the Bionic 01.

Nevertheless, we started drilling to get a camera on the object. After about a month of drilling, weekends only, we hit a void. We assembled some underwater cameras and this is what we are looking at.

Of course the color camera didn't want to work so at this moment we only have a B&W.

We still have to get it out of the water. It is nestled between two boulders and without anyone getting hurt we are, needless to say, very excited.

The video was taken 10/31/2009 so it is 6 days old.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cassbiz

cassbiz

Feb 17, 2007
Schmölln, Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
Curious The George said:
I don't know the scale of what we are looking at, could be the size of a deck of cards or the size of a house.
I was curious about this same thing. What say you cassbiz? Can you give us a reference as to size? I believe the film mentioned a 2in core hole?Also what do you make of the images shown from 3min 38 seconds to around 3 min 42 seconds into the film. Almost looks like a wooden pallet. :icon_scratch: :dontknow:
I am roughly guessing at the size. I am guessing that it is from 18" to 24" long and 12" to 16" wide. As I mentioned before we are going to be taking color videos this weekend and hopefully the water will be clearer. So pray for good weather so we can get it all resolved. Believe me I am hoping that it is something worth a lot. I need it about now. ;D

In regards to it being a pallet, my question would be, how in the world did it get down there?

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cassbizz, I don't quite understand, you mentioned tall ships; are you on land drilling down, or are you at sea drilling down through the bottom?

Either way, it's hard to imagine an object getting down through meters of soil to an underground aguaifer unless it floated in through from the open source of the underground river? If that's the case, isn't it likely that what you found is something fairly light, a cork filled icebox door, an aluminum cooler, or something similar which got trapped between the rocks?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
cassbiz said:
In regards to it being a pallet, my question would be, how in the world did it get down there?
with the current?

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
johnnyi said:
cassbizz, I don't quite understand, you mentioned tall ships; are you on land drilling down, or are you at sea drilling down through the bottom?
I think he is inland Central Florida in a fresh water spring that leads to a river.

OP
OP
cassbiz

cassbiz

Feb 17, 2007
Schmölln, Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
johnnyi said:

Either way, it's hard to imagine an object getting down through meters of soil to an underground aguaifer unless it floated in through from the open source of the underground river? If that's the case, isn't it likely that what you found is something fairly light, a cork filled icebox door, an aluminum cooler, or something similar which got trapped between the rocks?
We are on land drilling down. The proximity to the open water is roughly 200 feet. A group consensus is that it was buried then sank down over the years. We hit a patch of sand before the boulders in which it could have quickly worked its way through.

johnnyi

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2009
new jersey
Detector(s) used
minelab, white's xlt, deus xp, fisher aquanaut, white's twin box
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
cassbiz said:
johnnyi said:

Either way, it's hard to imagine an object getting down through meters of soil to an underground aquifer unless it floated in through from the open source of the underground river? If that's the case, isn't it likely that what you found is something fairly light, a cork filled icebox door, an aluminum cooler, or something similar which got trapped between the rocks?
We are on land drilling down. The proximity to the open water is roughly 200 feet. A group consensus is that it was buried then sank down over the years. We hit a patch of sand before the boulders in which it could have quickly worked its way through.

Cassbizz, I do a lot of digging here at the Jersey shore in an area rich in aquifers. One thing about sand, if there's not some real obvious percolation, things don't sink very far. After going down a foot or two sand is usually hard packed, so hard that down here many of our colonial home's foundations are built upon it. You need percolation, almost like quick sand, to make things sink that far down.

For a few seconds of your video it showed something with a crisscrossed pattern. Was that the camera doing it or was that the object? if it was the object, then again, it leads to a high probability to found an ice chest that floated down the river.

OP
OP
cassbiz

cassbiz

Feb 17, 2007
Schmölln, Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cassbizz, I do a lot of digging here at the Jersey shore in an area rich in aquifers. One thing about sand, if there's not some real obvious percolation, things don't sink very far. After going down a foot or two sand is usually hard packed, so hard that down here many of our colonial home's foundations are built upon it. You need percolation, almost like quick sand, to make things sink that far down.

For a few seconds of your video it showed something with a crisscrossed pattern. Was that the camera doing it or was that the object? if it was the object, then again, it leads to a high probability to found an ice chest that floated down the river.

That may be the case in many places. I have dug many holes where the conditions are as you explain. I also have dug holes where the bottom falls out and it becomes quick sand. Sometimes it is just a matter of inches before the change happens.

radiopilot

Oct 11, 2006
Cassbiz... from frames 4:48 thru 5:00 it looks like the keel of an aluminum boat, could a sunken jon boat or similar found it's way and lodged itself between those boulders? Also central Florida is known for sinkholes, one could have happen sometime back and had debris lodged and the Corps of Engineers could have filled that hole in... just a thought... would be very expensive to dig just to find old trash... many people used to bury their trash back in the day...

OP
OP
cassbiz

cassbiz

Feb 17, 2007
Schmölln, Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
radiopilot said:
Cassbiz... from frames 4:48 thru 5:00 it looks like the keel of an aluminum boat, could a sunken jon boat or similar found it's way and lodged itself between those boulders? Also central Florida is known for sinkholes, one could have happen sometime back and had debris lodged and the Corps of Engineers could have filled that hole in... just a thought... would be very expensive to dig just to find old trash... many people used to bury their trash back in the day...
You make a very good point. This is why we are going to be putting in a color camera with better control. The B&W camera had, as you can see, minimum control.

OP
OP
cassbiz

cassbiz

Feb 17, 2007
Schmölln, Germany
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh what frustration. I was hoping to be able to see the target and get a positive id. We got an underwater color camera dropped it in the water and the LED's didn't work. All weekend we tried everything possible to get it to work without luck. We couldn't see a thing in the water. >:(

Now there is that Hurricane Ida going through the Gulf. As long as she keeps going North our site won't be destroyed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread