Unwanted Encounters?

treasure_lady

Jan 17, 2005
Texas Gulf Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Just curious if anyone has ever had any unwanted encounters with wildlife while detecting? Like snakes, skunks, etc? I live in mountain lion and bear country...there were a couple of young lion cubs sunning near the elementary school last year! I have coyotes on my own land all the time and have seen snakes and scorpions. I live in the high desert of the Sierra/Nevada mountains...so know if I go off the beaten trail..I will have to be especially careful...but wondering if anyone else has had any encounters and if so.. how did you deal with them?
How about any unwanted human encounters? Won't always have hubby with me (especially around town), ... should I take my dog..or be better off without him? Suggestions and comments welcome! :)

Upvote 0
D

Donna 2

Now don't laugh at this -- but if you eat pork, I'd suggest that you don't eat any pork product for several days before going out into bear country. A man who worked as a camp cook in B.C. told us that when getting in any pork product for the lumbermen, that it had to be used quickly as it was a bear magnet. Just an item that we found interesting. We don't eat pork and have often camped in close proximity with bears and so far have had not problem with them.
Happy hunting to all of you in the sunny south.
Donna

Chris in BC

Mar 19, 2003
Langley
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Keene 5" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is an interesting take Donna, considering bears are in the pork family, really just a furry pig with claws. Boars and sows!. Maybe it's not hunger but vengence they want. Chris

D

Donna 2

Hi Chris in BC.
I doubt that it would be revenge that a bear wanted. I know that what we eat comes through our pores, and suppose that someone had bacon for breakfast in bear country. That bear would be able to smell that bacon and attack, not what he thought was a man but a slab of bacon.
Several years ago we had a lot of coyotes in our area and pelts were valuable. One of our neighbors had a pig barn and threw his dead pigs out for the coyotes. Coyotes that we killed in that area smelled exactly like a pig, even after the pelt had been skinned and washed. I just threw this in in case it could help someone. Chris, you'll probably remember the account of the bear attack in the Cariboo area, (I think out near the Bowran area) several years ago. It seems unusual for a bear to just attack so viciously when unprovoked unless there was some other reason. Every time that I hear of a bear attack I wonder what that hiker or camper had been eating.
I have camped on my own in bear country, in fact had to put the run on one, and they haven't bothered me.

Donna

Paul T.

Tenderfoot
Jan 17, 2005
One time I was water hunting with shorts on and something skimmed across my leg. I'm not saying it was Nessie from Lochness or anything, but it weren't no minnow!

Paul T.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread