UPDATE~1936 Dot Penny..Verdict Is In!

Wezzie

Nov 7, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
BH3300
According to my book, I have just found a penny worth $50.000.00!!!

I am SHOCKED, SHAKING and in DISBELIEF!!!

I did the best I can to take a pic to show you guys, and if you look, you will see the DOT!
Posting a few pics of it and what the book shows.

Copy from "The 2007 Charlton Coin guide"

1936dottd7.jpg

dsc04418oq1.jpg

dsc04414jh4.jpg

Pics are not looking good...Here it is Scanned....

1936dotpennyfoundnov222ip5.jpg
1936dotpennyfoundnov222in1.jpg

I know this will have to be "authenticated" as there have only been 4 confirmed but, I'm crossing my fingers and praying that it is indeed an original!

Here's a closer view enlarged by PBK ~ thanks PBK! ;)

index.php

Upvote 0

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Still a GREAT find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!did I make my point?

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would personally deliver it to a United States based coin expert such as ANACS that also grades and authenticates world coins. Sounds like this guy you took it to was dismissing it even before he looked at it. If this so called expert wanted to look at it, why didn't he look at it closely. The new "decorum" of this site forbids me to say what I am really thinking of this "so called expert"! The sad part about this thing is, there are ALOT of coin dealers that do EXACTLY this type of thing to just "take it off your hands" for you.

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
crzy, i thought it was 07............ wow 08.......hmmmmm so, obvious, cant spell at the moment but the person made i find............... did what needs to be done with it n............ ya thats all........ i agree on the banner, but no posters poting back.................. i dunno........... where u at dot dot?????????????

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I see a dot type and cause unknown --hopefully a motherload --some folks say oh its so rare that you POOR PEON can't possibly have one and thus dismiss you out of hand -- those fools --thats how rare things are often found * by plain old everyday folks finding great masterworks at a yard sell or in some long forgotten back corner of an old homes attic --

Clad 2 meet u

May 7, 2007
Algonac Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro (land) CZ20 (water)
I noticed that this thread was started on 11/22/06. Almost 2 years ago... Wonder what the final verdict was regarding "Dot" "No Dot"...

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was no dot...I know the Wezzie and the topic has been closed for quite some time...

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
newbie here with some dumb questions. how come a 2 year old post is posted in " todays finds" as if it was new? and why does it say "verdict is in" and there is no verdict? am i not seeing the rest of it because i'm not a charter member yet ? thanks to anyone who can clear this up.

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
because someone was very bored and had alot of time on thier hands, was looking way way back, and commented. thus bringing back to the top of the list...

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
its a no go folks -- old dead 2006 thread brought back to life by a bored person posting on it --let it rest in peace

soopacee

Apr 27, 2008
Pottsville, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400, Nel Tornando,
Garrett Carrot PinPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sorry i was the one who bumped it.....i was following this post awhile ago and forgot about it, for the exact reason mentioned....i was bored

i didnt see any responces on if it was real or not.....got my answer now though, thanx

may it rest in peace

Steve in Michigan

Apr 9, 2005
Mid Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTP 1350, Garrett Freedon Ace
Theres a dot and the guys a donkeys behind. Its there and I would go get another opinion.

Your Friend,

Steve in Michigan

Ramapirate

Jul 5, 2006
Charlotte
Detector(s) used
Primary detector is a Garrett AT Pro
Also have a Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those "so called" coin pros make me tired. There are those that really know what they are talking about and those that unless it belongs to them, they always give coins the old thumbs down. We've got some of those around here.
Back when I was a teenager (I'm 48 now) I purchased a French Trade peace pipe at a pawn shop out in the boondocks near Charlotte. I didn't know what I had, I didn't pay much for it, and didn't really care if it was real or fake. I had a "so called" expert at a nearby museum tell me it was an awful fake, that you could get better stuff at the souvenir shops in Cherokee, N.C.! So, I accepted that pretty much until I showed it to a friend that was WAY into Native American artifacts. He told me it looked like the real deal to him but he had a fellow at a college in Ohio that could tell us beyond a shadow of a doubt. We called him, described it, and mailed it to him. A few days later I got a phone call from the dude at the college. He was dancing around his desk and generally flipping out! It was the real deal and had some big deal historical significance. Long story short, there's a trade pipe in a college's collection in Ohio (it's been forever ago and I forgot the school's name) that I gladly donated (he offered to pay for it, it wasn't much money out of my pocket, so what the heck). He sent me a letter (that I lost when I moved out of my parents house) to authenticate the pipe that I had to go share with Mr. Expert Man. His reply was, "Well, I see so much junk people bring in, sometimes I miss one." Moral to the story, if you really care about something you found, get it checked out by someone who really cares about what you bring in.

Happy hunting,
Ramapirate

NGE

Silver Member
May 27, 2008
S.E. Michigan
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Explorer XS II, Fisher 1266-X
Primary Interest:
Other
I see a dot, go for it! Because you were not in his book as a regular big money spending customer is why he was not interested, now if you would have bought some high grade coins from him in the past, he would have put it under a stereoscope for ya. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread