UPDATE~1936 Dot Penny..Verdict Is In!

Wezzie

Nov 7, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Detector(s) used
BH3300
According to my book, I have just found a penny worth $50.000.00!!!

I am SHOCKED, SHAKING and in DISBELIEF!!!

I did the best I can to take a pic to show you guys, and if you look, you will see the DOT!
Posting a few pics of it and what the book shows.

Copy from "The 2007 Charlton Coin guide"

1936dottd7.jpg

dsc04418oq1.jpg

dsc04414jh4.jpg

Pics are not looking good...Here it is Scanned....

1936dotpennyfoundnov222ip5.jpg
1936dotpennyfoundnov222in1.jpg

I know this will have to be "authenticated" as there have only been 4 confirmed but, I'm crossing my fingers and praying that it is indeed an original!

Here's a closer view enlarged by PBK ~ thanks PBK! ;)

index.php

Upvote 0

Blackjack77

Jun 16, 2006
Minnesota

lostdutchman

Sep 22, 2006
Maybe I'm all wet, but I would visit another expert too, for a re-examination.....Just because..."I" want it to be worth $50,000...Keeping my fingers crossed!!!

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My story of "experts". I purchased a 1916 D merc dime on ebay for $80.00. It was in bad shape but I got PCI coins to grade it as a '16 D AG2.. Well I had it at a dealer that is known to be a snob (no names but he was the numismatic pres for America bla bla bla.). Its a "S" he says. Heck I don't give a crap. I sold it on ebay for over $200. My other great experience with this fool is a 1700's button he told me he would give me $5 for it but I later found out it was worth over $50.00. That the last time I trust a coin dealer I can't trust. ;).

M

marvswk

My name is M Lee S/ Marv in Idaho. I just love this story. some of you fellows are missing the point. Its about the Journey not the Destination! You guys get to tell theese stories to your Grandkids. Wow! It is not so important about the coin being real or not. Its everything that brings us to that point. Bonus if it is real! What a deal. You guys are driving me crazy! I dont have a Metal detector, and Im going nuts! I cant afford one. I need advice?? There is a Radioshack"detector in a pawn shop 99$ it is a top of the line one. New, it sold for 549.00$ SHOULD I BUY IT! JUST TO GET STARTED! I need a fix. I love this hobby of Discovering History. I will get a whites XLT when I can, for now. What should I do? What a great wholsome Hobby. Kind Reguards M Lee S in Idaho.

Attachments

• The boiler room.jpg
    The boiler room.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 1,633

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
marvswk said:
I dont have a Metal detector, and Im going nuts! I cant afford one. I need advice?? There is a Radioshack"detector in a pawn shop 99$ it is a top of the line one. New, it sold for 549.00$ SHOULD I BUY IT! JUST TO GET STARTED! I

Sorry I don't think a radio shack detector ever sold for $549.00 mabey I am wrong. Look for a dealer that sells real detectors and offers real customer service. I am not sure where in ID you are but if you are within driving distance to Salt Lake City you should make the trip down to J&J metal detectors in Sandy or at least find a detector not at Walmart. Sorry but to me telling folks you dont have enough for a detector is like saying you don't have enough for a car but want to purchase a chinese scooter. It may get you there in the summer months but what will you miss year round.

Yes sometimes it is about the Quality of the find. If it werent for the quality I would have quite long ago. No one goes in to vet school for the great times picking up after dogs its the quality money that really attracts them. Even in Hobbies we need a bit of reward. Not counting the great times I have cleaning up the local park. ;D

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trade your computer in on a detector...........
detectors are healthier for you............and one year of internet service can go towards the purchase of it.

trez

W

willrich

as in moris code, dot & dash to nearest authenticator.
way to go eh.
I love my northern across the border cdn's
but them pennys sure arn't worth as much in the United states of America, as they are there.
I see the dot !
get more opinions and don't give up, but handle the coin gently. or actually, try not to handle it and put it somewhere safe.

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
I hope it is for your sake! I found a 1936 Canadian penny while coin roll searching once. Of course there was no dot on it though.....poo

;D

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doyboy said:
How can you go against the word of an expert? It must be a fake then. Not to spoil your fortune, Weezie, but I don't really see the dot.

Because "experts" are human and can be mistaken...a second opinion is warranted!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
marvswk said:
My name is M Lee S/ Marv in Idaho. I just love this story. some of you fellows are missing the point. Its about the Journey not the Destination! You guys get to tell theese stories to your Grandkids. Wow! It is not so important about the coin being real or not. Its everything that brings us to that point. Bonus if it is real! What a deal. You guys are driving me crazy! I dont have a Metal detector, and Im going nuts! I cant afford one. I need advice?? There is a Radioshack"detector in a pawn shop 99$ it is a top of the line one. New, it sold for 549.00$ SHOULD I BUY IT! JUST TO GET STARTED! I need a fix. I love this hobby of Discovering History. I will get a whites XLT when I can, for now. What should I do? What a great wholsome Hobby. Kind Reguards M Lee S in Idaho.
HUH.......

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
marvswk said:

Buy it.

Buy it Now !

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300
could be that this guy owns one of the "4 known to exist" and he is afraid that if a 5th one shows up it will diminish the value of his...... keep researching and find 2 or 3 more people to check it out.... if the second guy says "dot" then you will need a tie breaker for peace of mind.......and BTW I SEE A DOT lol regardless of the outcome it is an excellent find.

Good Luck
Marty

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Wezzie said:
Hi Everyone,

Off I went this morning to have the penny looked at and...

THE VERDICT!

He say's "NO DOT" at ALL! He doesn't see a dot!
I was like, what?? I see the dot, plain as day!
I took his magnifying glass and looked and seen the dot!
Wasn't gonna agrue with the "Professional"

So, I'll leave at at this and you all can decide! :'(

Any chance this guy wanted to offer you a dollar or 2 for your coin?

I would agree that I would seek a second opinion. I do not have any idea exactly where I would send it. But I definately see a very clear dot. Is it perhaps from something else. Yes it could be. But could easily be the real deal. I just hope you can find a professinal who is willing to have an open mind and give it a serious look.

Postalrevnant

M

marvswk

Its M Lee S in Idaho! I see a dot! Its the dot between the 50.000 Grand you should get if you can get someone honest enough to appraise it! Gees. Sometimes I get the feeling they think were on our last dime. I wonder if the Jeweler would have seen a Dot if you rolled up in a Benz! or had a Rolex on! God Bless you! Marv.

Attachments

• DSCN6120BENZ copy.JPG
    DSCN6120BENZ copy.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 1,467

The Bulgarian

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
South Florida east coast.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
In the water Aquasound ,back up Aquasound,Fisher cz20,Minelab Excalibur 15 inch wot coil .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
doyboy said:
How can you go against the word of an expert? It must be a fake then. Not to spoil your fortune, Weezie, but I don't really see the dot.
Are you blind man?There is a dot.
togo.gif
shot.gif
tease.gif

Excavator

Oct 18, 2006
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
I see a dot too. Hope you can find someone that authenticates it! Keep trying.

"Don't agitate the dot!" - from the tv commercial :P

P

pokerbear

2003 - In New York City, the New York International Numismatic Convention is held. Heritage World Coin Auctions conducts the sale

1936 dot SP-66 $353,000. The 1936 dot cent set a new record for any North American small cent.

$353,000.00

Have the Heritage World Coin Auctions verify this coin...they've actually seen one.

I see the dot and I hope it's real.

P

PHANTOM35

WELL FRIST OF ALL(WOW), I REALY HOPE IT'S THE ONE. THAT WOULD BE THE FIND OF THE YEAR.
I HOPE ONE DAY I CAN BE AS LUCKY AS YOU, IT'S SO COOL TO SEE AND HEAR OF FINDS LIKE THAT...
WAY TO GO MAN. GOOD HUNTING.................PHANTOM35

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread