Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have searched a long time to find a site like this. As everyone knows this site has yielded some pretty spectacular French Rev War Regimental buttons. We had some pretty substantial rains on Wednesday. My Nautilus loves moist ground and seems to reach incredible depths when the ground is like this. I have pulled musketballs 15 inches deep when the soil is damp like this. This morning I set out for my homesite once more with the hopes of pulling another button from the ground. Little did I know what I was in store for. Once at the site I again started to concentrate at the main site where most of these buttons have come from. Today I told myself I would dig all the good signals as well as those that were "iffy". The iron is so thick in certain areas that good targets are "masked out" and only read good when coming from certain directions but not others. Well like I said I had hoped for one more French button, never dreamed of SIX!!! :hello2: :blob7: :hello2: The buttons are 1 coat and 5 small French turrent shank regimental buttons. Also got what I think is a Rev War neck stock, another 1773 halfpenny, and 5 more musket balls. Best of all the coat is a regiment that I have never pulled from this site, that being a 41. It came out of the ground with the 41 boldly showing! That just made my day!!! Once I clean the others I will update this post. All together now this homesite has yielded 26 French buttons from the Revolutionary War. A site like this doesn't happen very often. I hope everyone gets their coil over their dream find this weekend. HH Devonrex

Attachments

• 021.JPG
    021.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 1,342
  • 020.JPG
    020.JPG
    96.6 KB · Views: 1,361
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
UPDATE Re: After today I think I need to play the lottery!!!

I wanted to post a picture of the buttons after partial cleaning. I couldn't be more happy. The buttons turned out to be 1 coat 41, 4 small 41's, and a very rare small 23. That makes 8 different regiments found at this site. For so many different regiments to be found at this one location this housesite must have been a very important place (or had some very beautiful women!!!) ::) HH Devonrex

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 682
OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: After today I think I need to play the lottery!!!

On another note can anybody tell me for sure what this is. I think it is a neck stock but I'm not exactly sure. And if it is a neckstock what purpose did this serve? Devonrex

Attachments

• 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 659

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CC Hunter said:
Incredible finds Devonrex! :o

Doubtful that you even need the advice, but that site deserves to be dug until there is not a signal left of any kind! ;D

I'm casting my vote for BANNER, for the entire lot of French buttons including the most recent.

Kuger, are you talking about that Crimean War French regimental button that I researched? It's French alright, but a half century past the American Revolution. :wink:

CC Hunter

..yes, CC,I should have been more specific....a later version!!Thanks again for researching that too!!! :thumbsup:

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

How do you clean these buttons?

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You have amassed a great collection of French Rev War buttons out of that one site. I would love to dig a spot like that!

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ynpto804 said:
How do you clean these buttons?

[Most of the time, like these, I use a soft brush and toothpick to remove the crust thats built up over the button over the years. I don't even usually rinse them with water because it seems to change the patina to more of a reddish-brown hue. Devonrex ]

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: UPDATE : After today I think I need to play the lottery!!! New photo

Thanks everyone for all the nice responses! Devonrex

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Devonrex said:
On another note can anybody tell me for sure what this is. I think it is a neck stock but I'm not exactly sure. And if it is a neckstock what purpose did this serve? Devonrex
Very Nice Digs,I don't think it's a neck stock clasp as all the ones I've seen have rivots/studs on the back.Yours looks kinda big too. :icon_scratch: Here's one I dug & some sites on them.
Take Care,
Pete, :hello:
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showcat.php?cat=266
http://pegsandtails.wordpress.com/2009/12/30/a-shirt-tale/

Neck Stocks

The stock was altogether a more structured form of neckwear, not unlike a belt, and no doubt a speedier device to don, requiring only the fastening of a clasp or buckle at the back of the neck.

Leather and woven horsehair stocks were often issued for military wear and were fastened with stamped brass clasps or cast brass buckles.

Attachments

• IMG_0004[1].JPG
    IMG_0004[1].JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0003[1].JPG
    IMG_0003[1].JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_0003[1].JPG
    IMG_0003[1].JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0004[1].JPG
    IMG_0004[1].JPG