Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites MXT, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
***UPDATED INFO***
Well, I got the call from my jeweler this morning. He managed to get the back off. It took two days of soaking. The inner workings are, most regrettably, "toast." The buildup of rust had leeched into the threads, thus the difficulty in removing the back.

The good news is that it is, indeed, an authentic Illinois Watch Works "Santa Fe Special." Here's a pic with the back off.
watch-back-off.jpg

This is what it should look like ...
santafe3.jpg

I was able to get the serial number ... 2885910,
watch-serial-number.jpg

and based upon pocketwatchsite.com (http://www.pocketwatchsite.com/illinoisserials.html), this number dates the manufacture in the year 1916! I remain amazed that I found a watch in the ground, that old, in such amazing condition.

It sure looks like pure gold. But ... the bad news is that is is 10k gold filled. :crybaby2:
watch-10k-gold-filled.jpg

So, there are probably 5 or 6 grams of actual gold in the watch, but that's about it. And I don't know if it could be extracted, or if anyone would fool with it.

All that to say ... basically, what I have is a really shiny conversation piece.

But I'm still counting it as a "Gold find" for 2012. :laughing7:

Oh, well. Solid AU was a little too much to hope for, I suppose. Guess I'll go cry by meself for a while.

Thanks for keeping up with my little saga. :notworthy:

===============================================================

***ORIGINAL POST***
I braved the cold this afternoon to hunt an old school grounds that I recently received permission to hunt. The school existed from around the late 1940's until just a few years ago. I was hoping that it would be a prime spot for some junk silver coinage.

I even dreamed about it last night ... I think I dug over 100 silver coins in one day in that dream.

Anyhow ... five minutes after I chose my starting spot and began to walk my very first line, I got a very strong "half-dollar/dollar" VDI on my MXT. I automatically assumed that it was a can or lid, but when I checked the depth it was reading in the 4-5 inch range. Intrigued, I kicked my relic shovel into the sod and turned over a plug. And shining forth from that plug was this piece of sweetness ... it looked exactly like this. Not a blemish on it. All I did was rinse off the dirt!

pocket-watch-face.jpg
pocket-watch-back.jpg

Here's a close-up of the decorative edge ...
pocket-watch-decorative-edge.jpg

You can't read it on the face, but I can see with a magnifying glass (and the watch held at an angle in bright light) the words "Santa Fe Special" and "Illinois."

Turns out this is a size 14, open-face Santa Fe Special railroad watch made by the Illinois Watch Company in Springfield, IL. As best I can tell, this company was in operation under this name from 1869 until 1927.

I'm having trouble identifying the specific type and year of manufacture. And I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to get the back off and check the serial number for a positive ID.

Any suggestions would be helpful ...

From the look of the finish it appears to be 18k gold (most likely filled). Most likely not solid, but still a measurable amount of gold.

I'm stoked. This one find saved the day ... all the rest was clad.

Thanks for looking! HH

Attachments

• Pocket Watch Capture 1.jpg
    Pocket Watch Capture 1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,190
  • Pocketwatch Capture 2.jpg
    Pocketwatch Capture 2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,181
Upvote 0

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Dreamed About Silver, But All I Could Find Was BIG Gold!

beautiful watch! congrtats!

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beautiful find Amigo ! I beg to differ with your notion that it is gold filled - a watch from that
period 1850's - 1890's , was very often made of solid 14 or 18 K gold ! have it tested by more
than one reputable jeweler (goldsmith) better yet take it to a watch expert - he/she will be able
to get the back open safely , whereupon you will see a makers mark , manufacturing no. and
very likely the gold quality mark as well - Great find !!! Argentium (please update us !)

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

WOW!! That is one sweet lookin watch! Great Find!

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree with Argentium. If it was gold filled I don't think it would look that purdy! :D

Really nice find!

Sonnydigs

Jan 5, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Lay the face in your left hand place your right hand on top of the back of the watch, twist your right hand to the left, it unscrews.. may have to press hard to keep it from slipping in your hand, should come right apart..

OP
OP
KYshooter

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Sonnydigs said:
Lay the face in your left hand place your right hand on top of the back of the watch, twist your right hand to the left, it unscrews.. may have to press hard to keep it from slipping in your hand, should come right apart..

Already tried it. A no-go. I reckon I'm going to have to take it to a pro ... :-[

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

what kind of cereal do u eat again mine don't give out prizes like that,,,,, nice finds

i wonder if it can be restored ?

PikesPeakCharlie

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2008
Pikes Peak
Detector(s) used
Garrett Gti 2500, Garrett Gta 350, Garrett Pro-Pointer -- Whites IDX Pro, AutoMax V2 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Beautiful Gold watch !!!!! & Railroad too !!!!!! :headbang: :notworthy: I agree with the above post,should screw off , probably is locked up due to being buried ???

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Man that is one sweet watch. Congrats on one sweet find. :thumbsup:

Deno

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2008
Fern Creek Ky
Detector(s) used
XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Where abouts is this here old School Grounds? :laughing7:

OP
OP
KYshooter

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Argentium said:
Beautiful find Amigo ! I beg to differ with your notion that it is gold filled - a watch from that
period 1850's - 1890's , was very often made of solid 14 or 18 K gold ! have it tested by more
than one reputable jeweler (goldsmith) better yet take it to a watch expert - he/she will be able
to get the back open safely , whereupon you will see a makers mark , manufacturing no. and
very likely the gold quality mark as well - Great find !!! Argentium (please update us !)

Called a jeweler in a nearby town. He's intrigued. Wants me to bring it in so he can get the back off. So ... I should have an update later this afternoon! :thumbsup:

Nutriasub

Nov 16, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 - Garret Pro Pointer

Beautiful find, tuse is stunning!

Congrats

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Railroad watches were the Cadillac of their time. Short of being a seagoing chronometer it was the most accurate timepiece made.

Congratulations!

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Doesn't look like gold-filled to me....looks like the real thing. If it were me I think I'd probably still be doing a happy dance ...lol.
HH

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:hello:

I agree with the outhers, looks good Gold to me, very nice find that would look good on the Banner :icon_thumleft:

SS

chukers

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2010
Eastland Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i - Ace 250 (backup) - Garrett Pro Pointer - Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

yes we want to know! Great looking watch! I have yet to fine me a gold pocket watch... I have found dozens of others... mostly innards... but one day I will find one!

Chukers

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

BEAUTIFULL!! I've yet to find one of those, I think the Golds good also, Can't wait to hear ...."the rest of the story"

tidetraveler

Nov 30, 2011
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice find! Thats big gold! :hello2:

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro

Sweet chunk of what looks to be the real thing, at least 14K. Regarding the inner cover, it may be something the blade of a sharp knife will lift on the back. Worked for my grandfather's gold watch, anyway. This looks very familiar, too. Wonder if I haven't seen one of them before. My old neighbor, who passed away 20 years ago, had an extensive railroad memorabilia collection. His had both hands and still worked, but it sure looks similar.

Good luck on your quest!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread