Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites MXT, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
***UPDATED INFO***
Well, I got the call from my jeweler this morning. He managed to get the back off. It took two days of soaking. The inner workings are, most regrettably, "toast." The buildup of rust had leeched into the threads, thus the difficulty in removing the back.

The good news is that it is, indeed, an authentic Illinois Watch Works "Santa Fe Special." Here's a pic with the back off.
watch-back-off.jpg

This is what it should look like ...
santafe3.jpg

I was able to get the serial number ... 2885910,
watch-serial-number.jpg

and based upon pocketwatchsite.com (http://www.pocketwatchsite.com/illinoisserials.html), this number dates the manufacture in the year 1916! I remain amazed that I found a watch in the ground, that old, in such amazing condition.

It sure looks like pure gold. But ... the bad news is that is is 10k gold filled. :crybaby2:
watch-10k-gold-filled.jpg

So, there are probably 5 or 6 grams of actual gold in the watch, but that's about it. And I don't know if it could be extracted, or if anyone would fool with it.

All that to say ... basically, what I have is a really shiny conversation piece.

But I'm still counting it as a "Gold find" for 2012. :laughing7:

Oh, well. Solid AU was a little too much to hope for, I suppose. Guess I'll go cry by meself for a while.

Thanks for keeping up with my little saga. :notworthy:

===============================================================

***ORIGINAL POST***
I braved the cold this afternoon to hunt an old school grounds that I recently received permission to hunt. The school existed from around the late 1940's until just a few years ago. I was hoping that it would be a prime spot for some junk silver coinage.

I even dreamed about it last night ... I think I dug over 100 silver coins in one day in that dream.

Anyhow ... five minutes after I chose my starting spot and began to walk my very first line, I got a very strong "half-dollar/dollar" VDI on my MXT. I automatically assumed that it was a can or lid, but when I checked the depth it was reading in the 4-5 inch range. Intrigued, I kicked my relic shovel into the sod and turned over a plug. And shining forth from that plug was this piece of sweetness ... it looked exactly like this. Not a blemish on it. All I did was rinse off the dirt!

pocket-watch-face.jpg
pocket-watch-back.jpg

Here's a close-up of the decorative edge ...
pocket-watch-decorative-edge.jpg

You can't read it on the face, but I can see with a magnifying glass (and the watch held at an angle in bright light) the words "Santa Fe Special" and "Illinois."

Turns out this is a size 14, open-face Santa Fe Special railroad watch made by the Illinois Watch Company in Springfield, IL. As best I can tell, this company was in operation under this name from 1869 until 1927.

I'm having trouble identifying the specific type and year of manufacture. And I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to get the back off and check the serial number for a positive ID.

Any suggestions would be helpful ...

From the look of the finish it appears to be 18k gold (most likely filled). Most likely not solid, but still a measurable amount of gold.

I'm stoked. This one find saved the day ... all the rest was clad.

Thanks for looking! HH

Attachments

• Pocket Watch Capture 1.jpg
    Pocket Watch Capture 1.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 1,190
  • Pocketwatch Capture 2.jpg
    Pocketwatch Capture 2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,181
Upvote 0
OP
OP
KYshooter

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Dreamed About Silver, But All I Could Find Was BIG Gold!

diggin tennessee said:
SWEET FIND!! to get the back off just go out to your garage and pick up a large hammer and hit it a few times, it should just bust open then. or you could try a watch repair shop but that would take the destructive fun out of it. ;D

If he doesn't have the face off by tomorrow, I'm going to get it and knock the face out. I have no illusions about rebuilding a workable watch. I'm sure the guts are toast ... it's probably been in the ground 50-75 years.

We'll see tomorrow.

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

KYshooter said:
diggin tennessee said:
SWEET FIND!! to get the back off just go out to your garage and pick up a large hammer and hit it a few times, it should just bust open then. or you could try a watch repair shop but that would take the destructive fun out of it. ;D

If he doesn't have the face off by tomorrow, I'm going to get it and knock the face out. I have no illusions about rebuilding a workable watch. I'm sure the guts are toast ... it's probably been in the ground 50-75 years.

We'll see tomorrow.

Awwww, please be patient! It'd make a much better display, resale if intact. It's so beautiful, it deserves a little time to soak! JMHO, of course.
Tigger

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Please don't damage that beautiful watch - just to get the back off , any watchmaker can do this
(not many jewelers are experts in antique watches ) . Even if you never get the back off,
it can be tested for the gold quality - This is a wonderful find , do no harm ! Argentium.

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I agree 100%,
do be a fool because you are impatient. I've ruined many good finds over the years by not waiting for oils, etc to soak in and do their job.
Give the guy a bit of time, especially if he is doing it for free.
Dont hammer anything! If you do, you may be doing that to your head after you put some big dents or scratches in it. :BangHead: :BangHead: :BangHead:

AKiwi

Aug 4, 2005
Hastings, NZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 500

Agree with CoinShooter....But...What a Find!
Patience is a virtue....
Cheers

relicminer

Dec 31, 2010
Pike County Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro-pointer, Lecshe Digging Tool, Predator Mauler T-Handle
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

either way it goes, congratulation's my KY brother! :icon_thumleft:

KY Relic Hunter

Jan 8, 2011
Central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

KY Shooter,

I've always said that any day you can find silver is a good day. Finding a nice gold watch is an incredible day.

A very good find, way to go!

KY Relic Hunter

OP
OP
KYshooter

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Breezie said:
WOW . . .really sweeeet gold watch!!! Congratulations :thumbsup: How did you get it so clean; share your cleaning tips. Breezie

Breezie ... no cleaning required. All I did was rinse off the dirt. Here is a picture captured from video right after I got it out of the ground!
pocket-watch-capture-1.jpg

Still waiting to hear back from the jeweler this morning.

OP
OP
KYshooter

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Report back from jeweler. Good and bad news. See the original post. It has been updated.

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
even if it's gold filled, it's an excellent find in my books :headbang: :headbang:

Tigger

Mar 6, 2011
N Central Fla
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The upside of it not being solid gold? You can keep it and have a GREAT display piece. :icon_sunny: That decorative edge, including the knob is just SO COOL!!!!!!!! :hello2: You're richer in history, if not in money. Kudos, it was a good save. :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

And we're all glad you didn't have to bash it with a hammer!
Tigger

ncsilverspider

Jul 24, 2011
Rowan County, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizim III
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Great Railroad relic! Very nice condition! Deinently frame it! Very hard to find in antique stores (let alone in the ground!) Big Congrats! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread