🥇 BANNER *UPDATE* Cleaned up nicely! Just dug one of the rarest New Jersey Contemporary counterfeits 1787 Maris 83-ii variety R7

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I located a small cellar hole not far from where I live. How I did not notice this years ago is beyond me? As with most cellars these days most are pounded out. As I walked up to it after a 15 min hike. I had doubts it was even a cellar hole. no well just a shallow depression with a small pile of more rounded rocks son the edge. turned my machine on and 1st target was a musket ball, nice I thought! 2nd target was a rat tail pewter spoon bowl. so this confirmed home site to me. I dug a couple fugio's and a shot CT copper a a few buttons and last target was a sweet silver luckenbooth brooch. I called it a day as it was getting late. I returned today started out with another musket ball. nabbed another copper which is a hibernia. then i dug a a button signal and out popped a clipped thin copper. didn't think much of it and put in in my case. When I got home and started cleaning my finds I saw a shield but it looked thinner and more narrow than your typical NJ copper. I sent a few messages to some colonial copper experts on facebook and got the good news. super rare only 10-12 known Maris 83-ii Rarity 7 which is amazing. boat loads rarer than my AMERI. reversed Chain cent. My coin is struck over a 1782 KG III Hibernia. You can clearly see the under type in the pics below.
luckenbooth brooch new.jpg
luckenbooth brooch new 2.jpg
luckenbooth brooch fugios.jpg
Rare NJ copper counterfeit 1787 83-ii.jpg
Rare NJ copper counterfeit 1787 83-ii a.jpg
rare nj counterfeit.jpg
rare nj group.jpg
What a day!!!!!!!!!
rare NJ  cleaned 1.jpg
rare NJ  cleaned 2 .jpg

PIC BELOW SHOWS A KGIII HIBERNIA ON THE LEFT AND THE UNDERTYPE ON MY COIN ON THE RIGHT. YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE THE IA OF HIBERNIA AND THE NUMBER 2 IN THE DATE OF 1782.
rare nj over 1782 KG III Hibernia.jpg
rare nj both sides.jpg
rare NJ counterfeit close up 1.jpg
rare NJ counterfeit close up 2.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 81
OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that is a cool coin there HMN! I love finding counterfeits. Although we all got soaked to the bone, it was nice to detect with you a few weeks ago.
Thanks Jeff! Yeah I had a feeling the Heavens were gonna open up on us. Was really nice hunting with you as well!

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! As a small time New Jersey copper collector, all I can say is, wow!
Thanks! I may send it to Stacks for auction unless a private collector has interest.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You did a nice job of cleaning them up Congrats

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Further proof that we never know what the heck is going to come out of the ground next! Those are some of the most sensational finds I've seen posted and my banner vote is in- Sincerest Congrats!!

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Further proof that we never know what the heck is going to come out of the ground next! Those are some of the most sensational finds I've seen posted and my banner vote is in- Sincerest Congrats!!
thanks! I always say "expect the unexpected" in this hobby!

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I located a small cellar hole not far from where I live. How I did not notice this years ago is beyond me? As with most cellars these days most are pounded out. As I walked up to it after a 15 min hike. I had doubts it was even a cellar hole. no well just a shallow depression with a small pile of more rounded rocks son the edge. turned my machine on and 1st target was a musket ball, nice I thought! 2nd target was a rat tail pewter spoon bowl. so this confirmed home site to me. I dug a couple fugio's and a shot CT copper a a few buttons and last target was a sweet silver luckenbooth brooch. I called it a day as it was getting late. I returned today started out with another musket ball. nabbed another copper which is a hibernia. then i dug a a button signal and out popped a clipped thin copper. didn't think much of it and put in in my case. When I got home and started cleaning my finds I saw a shield but it looked thinner and more narrow than your typical NJ copper. I sent a few messages to some colonial copper experts on facebook and got the good news. super rare only 10-12 known Maris 83-ii Rarity 7 which is amazing. boat loads rarer than my AMERI. reversed Chain cent. My coin is struck over a 1782 KG III Hibernia. You can clearly see the under type in the pics below.
View attachment 2113510 View attachment 2113511 View attachment 2113512 View attachment 2113513 View attachment 2113514 View attachment 2113515 View attachment 2113516 What a day!!!!!!!!! View attachment 2113850 View attachment 2113851
PIC BELOW SHOWS A KGIII HIBERNIA ON THE LEFT AND THE UNDERTYPE ON MY COIN ON THE RIGHT. YOU CAN CLEARLY SEE THE IA OF HIBERNIA AND THE NUMBER 2 IN THE DATE OF 1782.
View attachment 2114722 View attachment 2114723 View attachment 2114724 View attachment 2114725
That New Jersey is a BANNER FIND!

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First of all, congrats on a truly incredible find. I recently dug a hard times token, circa 1833, in similar condition to your Jersey Copper. I always have such a hardtime getting toasty coppers to clean up without destroying them. May I enquire about your cleaning process on this?

With a rare piece like that, I would reccomend you submit to NGC and have it professionaly conserved and encapsulated. Again, congrats on such a rare and interesting find.
I forgot to mention my cleaning process sorry about that. I soak the copper in room temp peroxide for about a hour then dip q-tips in the peroxide and work on the surfaces. If the coin is pitted under the dirt then it was from the ground conditions not from the peroxide. I have had good results with this method.

White Wolf

Sep 8, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
X-TERRA 705, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I located a small cellar hole not far from where I live. How I did not notice this years ago is beyond me? As with most cellars these days most are pounded out. As I walked up to it after a 15 min hike. I had doubts it was even a cellar hole. no well just a shallow depression with a small pile of more rounded rocks son the edge. turned my machine eight coin is somethingn and 1st target was a musket ball, nice I thought! 2nd target was a rat tail pewter spoon bowl. so this confirmed home site to me. I dug a couple fugio's and a shot CT copper a a few buttons and last target was a sweet silver luckenbooth brooch. I called it a day as it was getting late. I returned today started out with another musket ball. nabbed another copper which is a hibernia. then i dug a a button signal and out popped a clipped thin copper. didn't think much of it and put in in my case. When I got home and started cleaning my finds I saw a shield but it looked thinner and more narrow than your typical NJ copper. I sent a few messages to some colonial copper experts on facebook and got the good news. super rare only 10-12 known Maris 83-ii Rarity 7 which is amazing. boat loads rarer than my AMERI. reversed Chain cent. My coin is struck over a 1782 KG III Hibernia. You can clearly see the under type in the pics below.
View attachment 2113510 View attachment 2113511 View attachment 2113512 View attachment 2113513 View attachment 2113514 View attachment 2113515 View attachment 2113516 What a day!!!!!!!!! View attachment 2113850 View attachment 2113851
View attachment 2114722 View attachment 2114723 View attachment 2114724 View attachment 2114725
Some really amazing finds, Buddy! The brooch is kinda unique and looks like those fur trade ones. The counterfeight coin is something. I have never heard about this type of coins before. Congrats on the great finds!!!!!

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
thank you Jeff!

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I sent out the luckenbooth brooch to a jeweler friend in Massacusetts and she put a pin onto it. the shoe buckle frame had a crack in the frame with no tongue and chape so I included a tongue & chape that I dug with it so she could make it complete. here are the finished products.
luckenbooth-brooch-new-jpg.2116937

Attachments

• luckenbooth brooch new.jpg
    luckenbooth brooch new.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 94
  • luckenbooth brooch new 2.jpg
    luckenbooth brooch new 2.jpg
    167.3 KB · Views: 15
  • luckenbooth shoe buckle  3.jpg
    luckenbooth shoe buckle 3.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 14
  • luckenbooth shoe buckle 1.jpg
    luckenbooth shoe buckle 1.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 15
  • luckenbooth shoe buckle  2.jpg
    luckenbooth shoe buckle 2.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Luckenbooth fixed 1.jpg
    Luckenbooth fixed 1.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 18
  • luckenbooth fixed 2.jpg
    luckenbooth fixed 2.jpg
    321.1 KB · Views: 17

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I may send it to Stacks for auction unless a private collector has interest.
So what is your plan ?
If you would like an opinion... here is mine...

Send to NGC... Set for conservation / Grading.
IMO... they are going to be your better choice for this.
They are also the "go to" grader for most of our heritage.

This WILL solidify ALL things needed for this coin to continue its journey... AND maximize its value.
Let the experts assert the attributes.
The guessing will be over and solid.

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
So what is your plan ?
If you would like an opinion... here is mine...

Send to NGC... Set for conservation / Grading.
IMO... they are going to be your better choice for this.
They are also the "go to" grader for most of our heritage.

This WILL solidify ALL things needed for this coin to continue its journey... AND maximize its value.
Let the experts assert the attributes.
The guessing will be over and solid.
I had a private collector make a 5 figure offer that I took. I conserved the coin and this buyer was happy with the way I conserved it. No auction fees, no conserving fees, no grading fees. There was no guessing as He knows NJ coppers probably better than anyone in the country. My discovery is the 13th known now and the only one with a clipped planchet struck over a 1782 KG III Hibernia , it is unique. Thanks for your input much appreciated.

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
New Jerseys are pretty easy to ID. There was a new Connecticut variety discovered just in the last year, but they are tougher to ID with much more minor differences in the varieties. There was a major New Jersey variety discovery in the mid 1990's, with Walter Moulds initials, he was the minter of that variety.
My friend Donnie B dug that one of a kind CT it's a new variety and only one known

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This site just keeps on giving. went back and dug a VT copper and a KG III
nj site vt copper.jpg
nj site vt copper 2.jpg
nj site shoe buckle.jpg
nj site kg.jpg

OP
OP
HEAVYMETALNUT

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Donnie B from VA

Apr 2, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II / XP Deus I
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Why doesn't a rare New Jersey get a banner? Do the mods not know that New Jersey prices are going crazy?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread