Update: Single father getting cheated by government Dead-Beat Dad laws....

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Update: Single father getting cheated by government 'Dead-Beat Dad' laws....

Update: A spreadsheet was sent that listed all the payments that were made, as well as scanned images of the cleared checks. Alaska has reopened the case. Now, it's just a matter of "will he ever see the overpayment back".

Without the long involving story, let me get right into it. A friend of mine was diagnosed with MS a long time ago. He was paying child support to the state of Texas, to be transferred to Alaska for his son up there. He completed his obligations with Texas a long time ago, but recently, Alaska now claims they have not received most of the payments and are now garnishing his disability payments. During his investigation, Texas has said, “We have closed this case. Your obligation is fulfilled with Texas”. But, Alaska is (and has been) garnishing his disability checks because they claim to have never received those payments. Texas claimed they were sent, and will not re-open the closed case. Alaska claims that the payments were never received. Texas won’t talk to him, and Alaska stands firm. He has received a list of all his payments sent from Texas showing that he has upheld his part, but upon sending this information to Alaska, they do not care to look into it. Alaska wants their money. They are in a state of “We don’t care… our records show this, therefore, you owe”.

What should he do? He’s disabled (currently walks on a walker because of MS (in his 50’s mind you)) and does not have a job to pay for a high priced attorney. All his income comes from disability that has been garnished despite it being wrong. No one in Alaska wants to talk to him as it’s in there system as an ‘open-and-shut case of ‘dead-beat father’.

Any hope for him? He has a big vanilla folder with all the information in it. He just doesn’t know where to turn. Attorneys are costly and he simply cannot afford them. Is there anything he can do?

O

Ohioan

Re: Single father getting cheated by government 'Dead-Beat Dad' laws....

I would say he should write a letter to a state representative or state senator, if they do not respond promptly , be persistant with follow up correspondence. Ask if they can look over the copies of where Tx has sent out the payments and perhaps someone with some clout could make a call to alaska. Just goes to show you have messed up we have become. I see so many unexplainably stupid things in the world today that I wake up each day thinking why do even wanna try again today. And then I remember ICE CREAM ! It's all about ICE CREAM ! If it were not for ice cream and well donuts and candy bars and mike and ikes and creme horns thats why I wake up everyday oh and bread pudding. Good luck .

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida

MMMmmmmm bread puddin

kk_bread_pudding.jpg

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Try contacting -

Alaska Legal Services Corporation
Robert Hickerson Partners in Justice Campaign
1016 West 6th Avenue, Suite 200
Anchorage AK 99501

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

He can also contact the Texas office again and ask for all the payment records and give that to Alaska, so they can collect from Texas. He should also get the letter saying that his commitment has been fulfilled.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Been in a similar situation many years ago, though my ex was actually willing to work with me to help prove my case, I take it his is not?

If that's the case, unfortunately he might be better off going the lawyer route because he's losing that money anyway, and in all likelihood he will continue to do so until the situation is corrected. If everything is as you present it a lawyer should be able to make short work of the situation as a reasonable cost. If nothing else, most lawyers offer free consultation and he should at least go and talk to one or more of them. Might end up being a lot less complicated and less costly then he realizes. Many times these offices simply refuse to talk to you without an attorney because they are not allowed to as this is actually protecting both them and you.

In other words, the case may actually be closed and the state is indeed satisfied, but there is a legal prossess that must be followed to get closure.

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

He should also sue Alaska for the amount they Garnished from him, if in fact his amount due was paid in full.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

Thanks all. Right now, his MS has taken him so far into the rabbits hole that I talk to his ex-wife (not the childs mom) that has right-of-attorney for him. He's very unapproachable about this (or anything else for that matter). His ex-wife is wonderful. She cleans his house, etc., for him. wonderful women.

Yes they have all the records obtained from the state of TX. And, I think your right, it's "closed" but only because an attorney needs to take it up.

I'm still trying to find this organization that I heard about that is sort of a "fathers-against-dead-beat-mothers". I don't know the name of it, but it's a legal service that helps out Dads that are being raked over the fire by the Mom, as this such case is.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Please don't ever use the phrase 'Dead-Beat Dad' again. We fought that in Oklahoma, finally they quit using that phrase in the Daily Gaylord. Course, it might be all Dad's are dead-beat, because the courts are skewed in the direction that 'a child belongs with it's mother'. Could be true, but don' pre-judge, review the particulars of each case. I went through a divorce, and paid my court determined child support regularly, with no regard to my personal needs. If you have a vindictive ex, like I did, all she has to do is call DHS (Department of Her Services) and say 'he hasn't paid his child support'. I had that happen, got called to a hearing, and I showed up with documentation, but they said you'll be happy to know you have paid your child support, your ex has found the deposit receipt where you paid. Yeah right buddy, and I proceeded to raise h*ll. It wound up with their lawyer, a female, right up in my face telling me 'We don't care about you, we're here for the mother.' Exact quote folks. To fit in with their idea of men, yeah she was kinda hot. Pay your child support, put it in front of everything else. They will still screw with you, but do right by the kids.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

RGINN said:
Please don't ever use the phrase 'Dead-Beat Dad' again. We fought that in Oklahoma, finally they quit using that phrase in the Daily Gaylord. Course, it might be all Dad's are dead-beat, because the courts are skewed in the direction that 'a child belongs with it's mother'. Could be true, but don' pre-judge, review the particulars of each case. I went through a divorce, and paid my court determined child support regularly, with no regard to my personal needs. If you have a vindictive ex, like I did, all she has to do is call DHS (Department of Her Services) and say 'he hasn't paid his child support'. I had that happen, got called to a hearing, and I showed up with documentation, but they said you'll be happy to know you have paid your child support, your ex has found the deposit receipt where you paid. Yeah right buddy, and I proceeded to raise h*ll. It wound up with their lawyer, a female, right up in my face telling me 'We don't care about you, we're here for the mother.' Exact quote folks. To fit in with their idea of men, yeah she was kinda hot. Pay your child support, put it in front of everything else. They will still screw with you, but do right by the kids.

I hear what you're saying. That's why I'm still trying to find that organization that is "Dads against dead beat moms" I heard about it long ago. It was started by an attorney that went through the same garbage, and realized that other fathers are going through the same thing. It always get's my goat when people say that the courts are no-longer biased toward the mother. Well, they are. I know of a few people that lived it first hand. Dad gets 80 percent custody? He still pays support to mother.

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300

Biased ?????? Naaaaaw........

You don't even wanna hear my tale of woe.........

As long as I paid my $1600.00 / month all was good........kinda...........

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

Diggemall said:
Biased ?????? Naaaaaw........

You don't even wanna hear my tale of woe.........

As long as I paid my $1600.00 / month all was good........kinda...........

Actually now, I kinda do want to hear it if you wouldn't mind reliving your horror. I really hate how dads seem to always get to raw end of the stick. This would be another story that I would put in my journal of injustice.

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

When my ex and her friendly judge bumped me to $2600 a month I declared war . 11 year , $250,000+ ordeal .
I ended up with total custody of my 4 kids and $260 a month from her until they reached maturity .
Victory in a moral sense . Lot of grief to get it done .

diggemall

Apr 19, 2006
northeast Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, BH Discovery 3300

Problem is, there is really no short way to tell the story

Alienating mother - I divorced her in 1997

Judge in County "A" sympathetic to her (man = bad, woman = good)

She moved to county "B" in '98, judge there unsympathetic to her - she calmed down a LOT for about 6 or 7 years.

I lost my job and went self-employed in '01 (adios to the $1600.00 / mo. checks)

She re-married in '05, moved back to county "A", decided she didn't need me in my kids lives, same judge as before, I got "forked", BAD.

Social Services, Guardian Ad Leitem & Court apoointed Mediator ALL stated they knew it was HER game, not problems between the kids and I.

LOTS of head games with the kids. Had a great every-other-weekend with them in Nov 2008. Haven't seen either one since (one will be 20 this Jan, the other 16 on my birthday in October)

Isn't an hour of any day goes by that I don't think about them

Attachments

• niagara falls 2007.jpg
    niagara falls 2007.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 171

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar

I empathise with you , Dig . I turned down a $300,000 per year tax free job helping set up an American longwall mining operation in Krakow , Poland in 1990 in order to be here for my kids as an IC truck driver .

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other

When I got divorced went through some bad stuff.
(Got divorced because she was foolin around with her boss and thought I would find out).
(Didn't until much later).
Of course she had a woman lawyer who went for jugular.
Lawyer told her she could have everything by threatening me.
"Did he ever slap your hand for taking the last of his share of the popcorn? That's spousal abuse!"
Can't own guns with that on your record, and I like mine.
Well, it's all done now even though I am broke and she has "Her" house paid off.
Kids still come to see me a lot more often than her.

About the poor fellow with MS -
Just a wild thought but maybe send a letter to Sarah Pallin?
You know the ex-gov of Alaska?
Am sure she knows some high people in gov. there and maybe could help.

Grey

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Have him contact these people it is Men and Fathers organization here in Texas. They have attorney's who work for strickly men and will get to the legality of the situation and force the state to reopen the case.

Have him check them out. They do fight for mens rights!

http://www.fathers.org/

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx

@Diggemall
I feel for you man. I have some close friends that were screwed too. I appreciate the story. I will add this to my stories of how Dads get farked by the system. Perhaps one day, the women will be on the defensive.... mind you, we're still trying to give OUR child the best, but these evil people that use the system to fark the dad, hopefully that will eventually end. Hopefully, it will one day be recognized that DADS, can give just the same upbringing that Women can. My own friend, a Dad, his 'shared' daughter told him the other day, "I don't want to go back to mommy's". He really loves his daughter... and you know what? She's the smartest little girl that I've ever met. She's a princess. She is the next biggest thing in awesome as awesome can come.

Edit: And your daughter/son is the most awesome that awesome can dictate too. God bless the fathers. God bless them.

OP
OP
mikeofaustin

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Re: Update: Single father getting cheated by government 'Dead-Beat Dad' laws....

Update: A spreadsheet was sent that listed all the payments that were made, as well as scanned images of the cleared checks. Alaska has reopened the case. Now, it's just a matter of "will he ever see the overpayment back".

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

truckinbutch said:
When my ex and her friendly judge bumped me to $2600 a month I declared war . 11 year , $250,000+ ordeal .
I ended up with total custody of my 4 kids and $260 a month from her until they reached maturity .
Victory in a moral sense . Lot of grief to get it done .

WTG Truckin :icon_thumleft:

As a Dad paying child support this stuff can get scary , I know Wa State nailed me saying I was $1,200.00 behind on payments an was getting ready to just go nuts , it took me 4 months an a nice $1,500.00 extra for a attorny to get them to see their math was wrong an all my reciepts where correct an I owed nothing .Scary Scary stuff, We get nailed with the dead beat dad stuff in a heart beat but the women can screw around left an right an nobody seems to mind as long as WE send that check each month .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread