UPDATE ***Spoon or no spoon***

J Hawk

Jun 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I got my ATP in about a week ago, an upgrade from an old bounty hunter. I was in my back yard trying her out when I get a 99 hit, so thinking silver i decided to dig. Not too far down out pops what looks like a spoon.

So yesterday i did some research on Tnet and decided to try to clean this thing with vinegar. After a 4 hour soak, I took a toothbrush to it. I thought it may be a spoon, but the metal is solid and I don't think it could be used as a spoon.

I went to pawn shop b/c this thing reads like silver on my machine. I though it may be lead, but the guy at the pawn shop told me he is almost positive it is silver. I posted in the "What is it" forum, and someone said maybe an antique cabinet handle, but still not sure.

It's almost 5 ounces.

Does anyone have any idea what this is? Also, I don't want to get my hopes up, but I would like to determine if it is silver or not.

Also, there are shards of glass attached to the metal.

spoon.JPG spoon1.JPG photo 2.JPG spoon6.JPG spoon 4.JPG

Upvote 2

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It kinda looks like Lead, but its hard to thru pictures, does it "thud" when you drop it on concrete?

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like its been in a fire to me. Still could be good item possibly, just ordered one of those portable acid test kits a few days ago myself to solve such problems on my own.

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an AT pro as well and when you get a hit as high as 99 it's usually not silver. I find similar pieces like that that hits very high. It's usually melted aluminum. If it's silver it'd be heavy for it's weight and if it's aluminum it'd be relatively light weight. The AT pro is a good machine, but you need to put at least 80 hours on it to learn it. It's amazing what you find out about it. Every month or so I'll learn a new technique and I will go back to a spot I think I dug everything but find more great things. It's hard to explain, but it's a great machine once you truly learn it. I went out 5 days a week since June and I feel like I really have a good grasp on how to use it. Anyways I bet that is melted aluminum. Keep us updated. HH

OP
OP
J

J Hawk

Jun 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aluminum is one thing I can ID. I've dug up so many aluminum cans and tabs and other aluminum scraps to know it's not that.

It is heavy, and everyone who has picked it up says it has to weigh more than 5 oz. Even before he put it on his scale he said he scale wasn't big enough, but then he went in the back and came out and told me it was 5 oz. Maybe the pawn shop scale was a little light in case i wanted to sell, or he could have had it on the wrong settings.

It has the same properties as my Buffalo silver dollars when i do the "ting" test. I have a rare earth magnet and testing kit at home. I didn't want to use the testing kit b/c i didn't want to damage it anymore than it already is, but I may have to give it a try.

It's so heavy, i'm suspicious it may be lead. I'll have to weigh it myself to get an accurate reading. Would lead give me a 99?

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Probably could, given the convoluted surface of the item and amount of metal..

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
might it be a form of a pistel? used to mix up medical items in a bowl by crushing them together ?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
If you use electrolysis... it will clean it up a good bit... if it is silver.

GL&HH.

Fourman110

Jun 22, 2013
Cedar Rapids IA area
Detector(s) used
Manticore
AT Pro
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of looks like one of those extra large fishing lures. Any attachment points for hooks or line?

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wet your "spoon" and wrap it in a piece of aluminum foil for about 5 minutes. As you open it get your nose down there close and smell. If it smells like rotten eggs it's silver. If not I wouldn't venture a guess.

CoilyGirl

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2012
Nashville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab x-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know I have used baking soda and vinegar on silver trays in a sink lined with tin foil for quick cleaning tarnish.I wonder if it would work on this object?

plugcutter84

Oct 6, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro
Fisher 1265x
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug some very similar looking pieces at an old house site. There was actually soooooo much of it scattered around that it was impossible to hunt, just great hits with every swing of the coil. My conclusion was that it was in fact melted aluminum. If it has some broken glass in it then I would almost guarantee it was in a trash burn pile. Still fun to research though. Good luck, HH!

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geez Louise!! I guess he didn't like my either melted aluminum or lead blob on his last post about this. Maybe now that others are chiming in with similar replies he'll get the picture. We find this stuff all the time. Silver tarnishes black, it is not gonna turn out to be silver, no real reason to test it, but he should do so just to become a believer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread