UPDATED: HES HOME: Noodles A$$ Dan in hospital

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
UPDATED: HE'S HOME: Noodle's A$$ Dan in hospital

I'm gonna put this in this forum because it's where our friends are. :)

Thinking he was having heart problems, we checked him into the local hospital this afternoon. Ran all sorts of tests and discovered, instead of immediate heart problems, he has blood clots in his lungs. Some nuclear test discovered it.

Anyone ever heard of this? I always heard when a blood clot hits the lungs you were a goner. Anyone with experience with this??

He's already on meds to take care of it. Still in ER, about to be moved to a private room.

I need input. Please. I don't care how scary your answer may be. PM me if you'd rather. -Noodle

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Re: Noodle's A$$ Dan in hospital

Sorry to hear about this ,but sounds like you got him treated in time and now knowing that he has the tendency to have these embolisms should help you in the future.
My families prayers are with you both this evening.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Noodle,

After receiving your PM, I was going to post that Dan was hospitalized in this thread, cause this is where everyone knew him. Well, with the dog chewed up cable...not getting any good connections I lost my post somewhere in cyber space. Seems the rain made connections worse.

I have no clue to this illness, but my prayers are with you & Dan. Hang in there, gal.

<hugs & prayers> RR

OP
OP
Noodle

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Stoney, he's been on aspirin therapy for 8 years. Maybe time for a real blood thinner??? Thanks to all! -Noodle

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV

Noodle you asked and I hope it is okay to answer here.

I worked ICU for 10 years.

What he has is called Pulmonary Embolisms. Small blood clots usually form in the legs from a long car ride, airplane trip or just sitting around doing nothing. Then the person becomes more active than usual and a clot breaks loose and moves somewhere else. He is lucky because sometimes they go to the heart and cause a Heart Attack, sometimes to the Brain and a stroke happens.

The standard treatement for this is usually agressive heparin therapy intravenously, followed by a potent oral blood thinner, Coumadin or Plavix. They usually give both and allow the patient to become therapeutic before taking the heparin away. Sometimes the doctor may opt to place a Greenfield filter. The filter prevents clots from the lower extremities from migrating to the brain or heart.

I have taken care of many patients with PEs. Some end up on a ventilator but if he hasn't yet he probably won't. They can be life threatening but the majority of them resolve with proper treatment. Plavix is the drug of choice now because with Coumadin/Warfarin you have to have blood draws to regulate the therapy. Aspirin is a good basic preventative measure but not agressive enough for something like this.

I don't think you will find any incorrect information in my post, but I am a nurse and not a doctor. I hope he recovers quickly. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me any time. I will gladly provide you with my numbers if you PM me.

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Noodle hon, you and Dan are both in my prayers. Good to know it wasn't the heart, at least.

Please give Dan my best - all our best, for that matter. Or a whack upside the head, if that seems more appropriate at the time (just kidding! Well, mostly) ;)

You two take care of each other, willya?

Nan

OP
OP
Noodle

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

ME, thanks so much! What you said is going right along with what he's going through. They have him on a blood thinner right now, but told him he will probably be on Plavix when he is released. They're also checking for an underlying cause, maybe disease-related. Otherwise, it's lifestyle. He sounds good, responsive, not on a vent, etc., and is resolved to being in the hospital for a few days. Quit smoking yesterday. Wish us luck!

When he gets home, and when he feels better, is it better for him to "take it easy" or to get his butt up and walking the 90 acres so he stays in better shape, or will he even feel like it? I walk and encourage him to, but he'd rather take a nap or do something else. Will walking (gently and regularly) help this from happening again, or is it strictly a med thing from now on? (Don't ever excuse yourself for being an RN and not a Ph.D. We all know who takes care of the patients and knows more about them than the others. My mom was a nurse.)

Gypsy, Rat, Stoney, everyone: Thanks for your responses and I'll let you know what comes up next. (Gypsy, we missed you and understand. Our thoughts are with you during this time. Third time's charm, so they say, so the next hunt you're bound to make.)

Again, thanks, MEagle. Nice to have an RN as a friend. -Brenda

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

Noodle

The best therapy is exercise. He can start out small and work up. Cigarettes cause the blood to thicken and thus increases the risk for blood clots. As soon as he feels like it he can start walking short distances and work his way up. He may be tired at first but it will soon become second nature to him. A sedimentary lifestyle is a big risk factor, add to that the smoking and you have a ticking time bomb. He may have a disorder that caused the clot but I doubt it as that is very rare. Also from now on, never drive more than two hours or sit that long without getting out/up and stretching your legs for 5 minutes. This will help ensure that no clots form in your legs.

I am praying for both of you and if you need anything I am here for you.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Noodle, I'm so sorry to hear about Dan, I hope that he will be up-and-about soon. It's fortunate that you took him in to be checked out when you did. You both are in my thoughts and prayers.

OP
OP
Noodle

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

Update: The tests show multiple clots in both lungs. They're not sure why; just stated it was unusual and could be caused by a disease which won't be confirmed for several weeks. Meanwhile, he's on nitro and hyperin and daily cat scans. He was trying to remember all this to tell me (I missed the doc, of course), but all he could remember was that his blood is "1.3" something and normal is 3-4. ME, maybe you can tell me what that is. Anyway, he's there for several more boring days while they straighten out his blood, at least through the weekend, they said. Cardboard food (heart diet).

Thank ya'll for your notes and prayers. He's still not out of danger. They won't let him move much, but did give permission for him to have his fiddle and guitar. ??? They'll be sorry they did that. ;)

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used

Boy Nan that is a tough question to answer. It may be that his INR is low. Normally they draw Protimes for coumadin and plavix and PTTS for heparin. Prothrombin time (PT) is usually around 12-15 seconds; the normal range for the INR is 0.8-1.2. PT measures factors II, V, VII, X and fibrinogen. What the docs around here do is adjust the INR to a level of between 2.2 and 3.0. What this basically is is a test to see how long it takes for the blood to clot under certain circumstances.

With Heparin the normal range for PTT here is between 25 and 35 seconds. Most of the time the docs try to adjust it to 1.5-2 times that range. He really needs to be on heparin for a while. They may put him on Lovenox, a low molecular weight heparin that is administered into the belly like and inuslin shot. Agressive antigoagulation is the best and most effective treatment (blood thinning).

If the PTT is abnormal and the PT is normal, he may have deficiencies of factors VIII, IX, XI, or XII.
If the PTT is normal and the PT is prolonged, he may have a deficiency of factors I, II, V, VII, or X.
If both PT and PTT are abnormal, you may have deficiencies in the common pathway or to multiple factor deficiencies. He will need to be assessed by a hematologist.

Many things can affect how thick or thin your blood is. Diuretics and antihistamines and the onset of illness or allergies, certain foods, such as beef and pork liver, green tea, broccoli, chickpeas, kale, turnip greens, and soybean products contain large amounts of vitamin K which causes the blood to thicken and clot.

Yes they will keep him on bedrest but once they release him he will need to start an exercise program. Doesn't have to be much, just some walking to begin with.
Just tell him to take it easy and not get too agressive with his fiddle playing or else the nurse may decide he needs an Ice water ENEMA! Tell him if he doesn't straighten out Mastereagle will be coming to take care of him. ;) :D

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Brenda,

Good talking with you on the phone...like I told you it would be soothing and stress relieving for Dan to play his fiddler. The staff will enjoy it, & it gives Dan a pleasure to see others enjoying his music.

Thoughts & prayers continuing on to the both of you. :-*

;) Judie

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

My wife had a blot clot in the lung once and she was totally out of it for about 6 hours. Had us awfully worried. They injected something into her stomache and put her on an IV and hositalized her for abut 3 days. It is serious and can be very serious depending on a lot of factors. The size of the clots, where they are located and where they originated are some of the factors. I am not a medico by any means but I have had that one exprience with my wife. So, I am telling you what the doctors told me. That long car trip could very well be what brought it on. Get your A$$ well soon now, ya hear? Monty

OP
OP
Noodle

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

MasterEagle ... huh? In case there was any doubt before, I now firmly believe I could have never been a nurse! :D I'll try to discipher what you wrote tonight, but it might take a while. Thanks for the info!! They've already said cumadin for at least 6 months. I did learn one thing, though. I never knew all those foods/drinks could thicken your blood. (They put him back on coffee this morning. It's working. He's already called me 3 times and sounds better.) ;D

Monty, thanks for the info. The folks here, too, were talking about the long trip having something to do with it, but he was already feeling strange (out of breath) before we left the house. It might have something to do with a knee surgery he had three weeks ago to remove some torn cartilege and had to stay still for a couple of days. We may never know.

Thanks for the call, Rat. And thanks again, everyone, for the support! -Noodle

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You tell Dan if he doesn't shape up I won't let him buy any raffle tickets PERIOD! Get well Dan. Noodle stay strong it will all turn out fine in the end.
Burdie

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions