*"Updated Video "* CACHE or A Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill!!!???

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*"Updated Video "* CACHE or A Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill!!!???

The day started like any other day, beautiful with birds chirping in the woods and just the smell of nature everywhere, did I mention it was starting to get hot and muggy.
My buddy Todd (makton) and I agreed to hunt along the Illinois I&M Canal (Actually it was Todd's idea). It’s no secret to think that in the canal construction process someone, somewhere along the line had to set down and take a lunch break, or had a hole in their pocket. Well that’s was our thoughts anyway. Those are the kind of thoughts that compel you to go deep into the woods where you know your headphone or your search coil is going to get caught on some little twig or branch. I am sure most of you can relate. It can be frustrating when you have to duck and crawl your way through some areas because of how thick the brush is especially when you are 6’2”.

Well it was getting close to noon and things were starting to heat up and I had enough of the woods. You have heard this story time and again; it was that moment that defined our hunt when I started heading out of the woods to hunt open ground… of course I was still swinging my coil. I knew I only had about maybe 100’ and I was out of the woods. I came across an open space in the woods where it looked like the rocks were piled really high. I got a silver sounding signal and thought to myself; oh it’s just another one of those metal objects I had been finding that sounded like silver. I chose to dig it anyway… To my surprise the object was round and silver looking. I thought no-way! I picked it up and it was a coin. I was so excited I could not tell if it was a silver dollar or a half dollar because of my excitement. All I knew when I washed some of the dirt off, it was a silver coin.

I yelled out to Todd to see if he was in ear shot to come and see the coin I had found. Turned out to be a 1906-D Barber Half. My first one ever and another coin I could strike off my list of finds. I told Todd to rescan the hole and he could have the next coin that came out, because I knew there was at least another signal in the hole. Todd did and he pulled out a 1900 Barber half, he then rescanned again and found a 1906 Barber Quarter. I thought oh man that was on my list of finds also. I said to him ok it’s my turn. I then pulled out a 1900 Barber Quarter, yes another first for me and one more coin to strike off my list.

Todd then began to hunt the area while I rescanned the hole again; and to my amazement another silver signal. I then found a 1908-D and a 1911-D Barber Dimes. Then scanned again and was getting a nickle sounding signal and to my amazement again I pulled out a 1901, 1905, and a 1910 V-Nickles.

In all total there were 9 coins pulled and two of which Todd was able to claim as keepers.

We both knew one thing for sure we are coming back in the fall and hopefully we will have more stories like this to share.

Happy Hunting and Happy Father’s day to all you Dad’s out there.

[youtube=425,350]<object width="445" height="364"><param name="movie" value=" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="445" height="364"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Pocket Spill.jpg

Group Shot Front.jpg

Group ShoT Rear.jpg

MY Four Barbers.jpg

Four Barbers 2 Front.jpg

MY Four Barbers Rear.jpg

V-Knickles Front.jpg

V-Knickles Rear.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Wasabi

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
Wasabi

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

jlb783 said:
Nice finds!
All of those coins are in great shape.
Yes they are in really good shape don't appear to have been in circulation for very long judging by the detail of all the coins.

OP
OP
Wasabi

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DMN said:
Great logic and some perfect persistence. It paid off quite well. Must have hurt the person who lost the change though. But it worked out well for you! Congrats on a sweet recovery! :hello2:

Thanks to Todd (makton) If it wasn't for his suggesting it we would not have found the coins that day. I had often thought of hunting along the canal, but just did not do it.
Well it definitively paid off.
I do wonder myself what the money might have meant to the person and what kind of loss that person may have suffered from loosing that money. That was a lot of money back in those days.
HH

OP
OP
Wasabi

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

oldgold said:
Beautiful pocket spill. I would keep hotting that spot. :notworthy:
Thank you and we will be back for sure.

OP
OP
Wasabi

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

john09 said:

MaineRelic said:
GREAT! GREAT! GREAT! Pocket spill pickup!! I'm happy 4 u!! keep hunting and good things can happen!!! MaineRelic.

Yes and good things will happen to those who keep the coil to the soil.

OP
OP
Wasabi

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

muleskinner said:
Beautiful coins! Your partner should be glad to hunt with such a sharing person, by the way I'm available this weekend.

Hunting for treasures alone is not as exciting as hunting with a friend and I say the more the merrier.
HH

OP
OP
Wasabi

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CurbdiggerCarl57 said:
I dream your reality nightly. You are not in the dream, however. Amazing day you had. Kudos!

I have often had dreams of finding coins like that as well and here's to dreams coming true.
HH

OP
OP
Wasabi

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

time4me said:
Terrific finds. Congrats on a recovery you'll never forget!
So true it is a memory that will last for a lifetime.

OP
OP
Wasabi

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

N.J.THer said:
That is a great pocket spill...congrats. Let us know how you do when you get back there.

NJ

Will keep you posted there are numerous trips already brewing.

OP
OP
Wasabi

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CAgem said:
Great Story! (and oh by the way, lovely coins ;D)
Thank you for the nice comments.

OP
OP
Wasabi

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks to everyone who posted on this forum.
If I have missed thanking anyone, let this serve as a thank you to all for looking and submitting your comments.
HH to all.

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF

Alright, I have to chime in and tell the truth....I never mentioned to Wasabi that it was a seeded hunt :laughing7:
I saw the poor guy basically crawling through the brush with his eTrac and 48" coil. The sweat was dripping off him so bad that little critters where following him and his moving water hole.
I circled around him and found the most obvious place he would swing a monster coil, an 8x4' area where he could actually stand up, and I planted the coins. I then carefully poured the 3 to 5" of dirt that I keep in my finds pouch(from never cleaning it out) over the coins then circled back behind him and waited. :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Great job Rob!!! What a guy to share the wealth on Fathers Day. He probably got more/better coins in that one spill than I'll get in three years hunting. To top it all off, since he was so kind to share with me, he has the mojo coming his way which means I'll be pulling out Memorials while he is pulling silvers on our next few hunts.

Makton

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star

Wow!!! What a find! Congrats!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

An even better day with you sharing the spill!

outlaw007

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
ILLINIOS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
TESORO LOBO SUPERTRAQ , TESORO GOLDEN UMAX AND MINELAB EXCALIBUR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

REALLY AWESOME COINS,WTG!

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS

THAT is what I'M talking about, buddy!! Talk about a dream spill. There is absolutely nothing like finding an old silver half, and then getting more signals...I've got a feeling you guys will be back there before fall! Did I tell you that I have psychic powers, and can use the energy of the nature surrounding me to find more coins in the woods? Might wanna take me with you guys next time for that...LOL! Good luck this weekend...cuz you know you're going back! :icon_thumright:

Joe

titan

Jun 29, 2007
northwest tn.
Detector(s) used
MXT

muleskinner said:
Beautiful coins! Your partner should be glad to hunt with such a sharing person, by the way I'm available this weekend.
ditto , just kidding ,but really? Great digs man wish i had one of those.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great coins Rob. I wished I had talked to you at the meeting last night. I had to leave early. Ron

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009

It may be possible the stone pile was a good place to hang out during the work day so the depths may have represented a few times where people sat and lost their change as a result. Throw some more stone on the pile and some dirt to boot and the coins get lost for good. Or at least until a guy with a decent detector (and willingness to brave the heat, brambles, twigs and bugs) comes along and recovers them!

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kudos for the mega coolness! :headbang:
Oh hell double head bang :headbang:

OP
OP
Wasabi

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: *"Updated Video "* A Father’s Day Hunt Exposes a Honey Hole of a Pocket Spill

Ok I have added a YouTube Video of the hunt for your personal enjoyment.
Rob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread