UPDATES ON THAT MY RARE VARIETY 1797 LARGE CENT AU CONDITION

chark21798

Dec 6, 2004
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil
Plans got cancelled for sunday hunt because of storms. Well didnt rain in morn so I thought I wanted to get out, soon as i got into my truck started raining. Well drove to a wood site about 5 minutes down road. Got out of truck and walked about 3 min into woods started to rain as soon as i got a good deep reading. Well dug about foot down and i missed it was on bottem and on side of hole. Fell out into bottem of hole grabbed it and filled hole in. As im running back to truck I seen 97 great date. As I am running trru sticker bushes and all bloody and soaked made it to the truck. Put it in a baggie and left didnt stop raining till this am. Got home and ran water to get dirt off, and well this is what I found. 1797 Rare variety large cent in au condition I think . Told it might b a S 125 any ideas. HH Mark It is The rare S-125 r5 This is the best known condition in this variety out there.

Attachments

• 112_0701(1).JPG
    112_0701(1).JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 7,741
  • 112_0704(2).JPG
    112_0704(2).JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 7,714
Upvote 0

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 3 Minutes THAT PRODUCED RARE VARIETY 1797 LARGE CENT AU CONDITION

OMG. That is a sweet looking dug coin. Wow. That could be banner material. :headbang: :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chark21798 said:
Thanks Don and everyone else, I can clean dirt off of it with Q-tip but that's the way it came from ground. There is not 1 pit or any damage what so ever. Neil has seen the coin no wear what so ever on it picture doesn't do coin justice. Also hard to tell from picture but she has die cracks? under chin that looks like a beard. I have been studyin my coin and all different varieties and just cant match um up to any. S 127 leaves on back just look to big these are more narrow. I just cant tell, And i am not an expert . Thanks again Mark

Gads, I missed the die clashing,(normal on a S-125) when I saw no swelling on the bust as stated that there should be for a S-125, I looked elsewhere, it is a S-125 and not a S-127, so it is a R-5 copper and worth some bucks. However, I still say it is not AU, but it is a very high CC coin (condition census for that variety) and it has some porous conditions, but not much, but again hard to tell with the dirt on photo. But I do have photos taken showing the porous conditions and one is of a 1796 I found and has very little porous problems, very smooth. Recommend you take care of that coin. It might be worth more than Neil's Half Dime due to supply and demand. (More Large Cent collectors than Half Dime collectors)......But that all depends on environmental damage for overall grade.

Don

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

great looking LC!!!!! MR TUFF

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Mark you are one lucky SOB. That thing is beautiful! First Neil,then you, man o man our crew sure knows how to find em. Hopefully this weekend luck will strike a 3rd time :icon_pirat: ;D Banner all the way.

jcooking

Feb 28, 2010
Montana
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE Pro, Sunray X-1 probe
Garrett AT Gold

Wow what a gleamer! Got my vote :thumbsup:

riverrunner814

Feb 14, 2009
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Ace 250

My jaw droped when I seen this.Wow great find!!!!!! :icon_thumright:

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now that is one beautiful coin. Congrats. You can dig the rest of your life and never see another like that. But then again you Jersey boys have been on a roll of late. :icon_thumleft: You got my banner vote.

wells

Mar 1, 2008
Middleburg, Pa.
Primary Interest:
Other

Can't take my eyes off of her. BANNER !

U

umrgolf

What's goin on in Jersey :o got my banner vote too :headbang:

KyFreeBird

Mar 21, 2009

:icon_thumleft: :o W O W !!!!!!!!!!!!! Simply one of the finest coins ever dug !!!!!!! I love the Early U.S. Coinage !!!!!! Congradulations !!!!!!!!!!!!!! B A N N E R ALL THE WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
chark21798

chark21798

Dec 6, 2004
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil

Don in SJ said:
chark21798 said:
Thanks Don and everyone else, I can clean dirt off of it with Q-tip but that's the way it came from ground. There is not 1 pit or any damage what so ever. Neil has seen the coin no wear what so ever on it picture doesn't do coin justice. Also hard to tell from picture but she has die cracks? under chin that looks like a beard. I have been studyin my coin and all different varieties and just cant match um up to any. S 127 leaves on back just look to big these are more narrow. I just cant tell, And i am not an expert . Thanks again Mark

Gads, I missed the die clashing,(normal on a S-125) when I saw no swelling on the bust as stated that there should be for a S-125, I looked elsewhere, it is a S-125 and not a S-127, so it is a R-5 copper and worth some bucks. However, I still say it is not AU, but it is a very high CC coin (condition census for that variety) and it has some porous conditions, but not much, but again hard to tell with the dirt on photo. But I do have photos taken showing the porous conditions and one is of a 1796 I found and has very little porous problems, very smooth, for now here is a quick photo of yours, when you go negative on a shot it will show the pores. Recommend you take care of that coin. It might be worth more than Neil's Half Dime due to supply and demand. (More Large Cent collectors than Half Dime collectors)......But that all depends on environmental damage for overall grade.

Don
Thanks again for all your help. Now should I have this profesionally cleaned graded and slabbed. And if so who and where. Well I am still taken in by this coin.

OP
OP
chark21798

chark21798

Dec 6, 2004
SOUTH JERSEY
Detector(s) used
explorer/ wot coil

I just want to thank everyone again, and also tell you all. I have driven past these woods everyday since I have lived in Jersey. And this set of small woods in a very urban highly populated erea. So there might b that small wooded erea by you that has coins in it like mine. HH Mark I think Banner also. LOL

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"

doesn't get much better than that.

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

You guys are really tearing it up down there....so jealous of not only your amazing finds but also that you can get a digger in the ground. Still frozen solid here in Mass.

Killer coin, congrats on the banner!

Steve

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

congrats on finding that absolutely incredible coin!!! and making the banner too :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

Homerun04

Sep 8, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX

Freakin' A......Outstanding...!!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

chark21798 said:
Don in SJ said:
chark21798 said:

Gads, I missed the die clashing,(normal on a S-125) when I saw no swelling on the bust as stated that there should be for a S-125, I looked elsewhere, it is a S-125 and not a S-127, so it is a R-5 copper and worth some bucks. However, I still say it is not AU, but it is a very high CC coin (condition census for that variety) and it has some porous conditions, but not much, but again hard to tell with the dirt on photo. But I do have photos taken showing the porous conditions and one is of a 1796 I found and has very little porous problems, very smooth, for now here is a quick photo of yours, when you go negative on a shot it will show the pores. Recommend you take care of that coin. The coin might be worth more than Neil's Half Dime due to supply and demand. (More Large Cent collectors than Half Dime collectors)......But that all depends on environmental damage for overall grade.

Don
Thanks again for all your help. Now should I have this professionally cleaned graded and slabbed. And if so who and where. Well I am still taken in by this coin.

I usually don't say this but I think this one might do well to go to a grading service. Reason? With the details being so good, it might get designated as one of the top ones which would increase the value I think dramatically if you were to sell. But, you run the risk of the label "Improperly Cleaned" and or "Environmental Damage" if you do so. The only service that does clean and grading is NGC/NCS.(I think) I know one individual here had a horrible experience with them, but other than that I have not heard bad reports, but I sure have no experience in recommending them or anybody else.
Here is a S-125 that sold at auction, quite a bit of money,
http://coins.ha.com/common/view_item.php?Sale_No=460&Lot_No=2128
Like I said, yours could be worth more than your buddies Half Dime, so be careful with whatever you do with the coin. Sometimes if a person wants to sell, it is best to go private, to do that, someone would have to spot your copper on-line and then they usually contact you. They would take care of cleaning, grading and slabbing, so you are in a win win situation. Perhaps joining and posting it on Collectors Universe site for opinions on condition would expose it to many of the top Large Cent collectors in the country! I will also contact one more individual who might offer some advice.

The former expert that was a big collector of Large Cents before he got into Colonials, really thought it was one of the tops for S-125, but like me, he saw evidence of some Environmental damage, but does appear to be minor from the photos your posted. The negative view, blown up is all telling on corrosion, I removed my earlier photo examples and sometime later will post some examples of rather good ground founds and ones that look rather good until you look closely and I think that is what the grading companies do, and no wonder so many of the detectorsits send in a great coin only to be hit with that dreaded Env damage remark... On the same auction site I found the big bucks figure were others that sold for a great amount less, and if that dreaded Env. tag goes on the slab, then the value drops dramatically..

Congratulations on making BANNER :hello2: It does belong there.

Don

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

For sure the best coin that old that has ever been on here......................period :notworthy: That is worth grading/slabbing and safeguarding in a safe place. That coin should be worth every penny and some based on what Don has said. Good luck and do keep everyone updated on what you find out. A well deserved congrats for sure. A lucky man you are :notworthy:

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is one beautiful coin :thumbsup: i knew there was coins like that up here and now you found one Banner looks good now :headbang: Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread