Vermont

jeff a

Sep 16, 2008
ne ohio
keep at it ,try to find places that had a water source,stop and ask farmers if they have found anything then get permission to hunt their farms

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok lets look at how you are going about this if you are not finding anything. I would suggest learning all you can about ancient cultures in your state and known sites and read about them. I would then got to maps and satelites and search the large creeks and rivers first. Your research should point you to the best countys. In those counties concentrate first. Look for bends in the rivers as the oxygen generated in a turn in the water produced the best foraging for fish and shell fish. Check the bank walls and wash outs and sandbars in these areas first for worked flint.
Same thing on a creek that was a natural travel route. Use a topography map and look for areas out of the flood zones. Use Google see http://books.google.com/books?id=SR...a=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=8#PPP1,M1

Good luck its a tough state to get much info from.Looks like my relatives the Iroquois were right above you.

TnMountains

Also try this and research past publications http://vtarchaeology.org/cms/

undertaker

May 26, 2006
Green Mountains of Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and Whites Bullseye II Pinpointer
TnMountains has it right..Look for the flaked chips and they will lead to the arrowheads and other artifacts. Here in Vermont the best way to tell if your in a good spot is to find quartz flakes that are usually( first pic. )blue gray, gray, white. They also used (second pic) a dark black chert ( Mt. Independence is where they obtained alot of this ) and it was another favorite material they used. Find these flakes and you will find artifacts. I looked for arrowheads in my teen years while fishing and never found one. I was in the right spot but didn't know what to look for. When I was shown what to look for I found a arrowhead the first time out. My favorite hunting grounds are plowed cornfield next to rivers , lakes , ponds, streams, brooks. Then it would be sandy lake shores , and creek banks and bottoms. Here is a pic of some books I started out with that help me locate a few spots. I see you post about Arlington and Bennington...I have never look south but I was told that Bennington is loaded with artifacts and the river that runs along rt.313 out of Arlington heading to cambridge has artifacts long it. Heres some more pics of artifacts, peices and parts all from VT. I will post pics of my good finds that are in my safe at a later time. They are out there waiting to be found and somedays you will get skunked. Don't give up.....Cornfields + Water = Artifacts.

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 791
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 680
  • 036.JPG
    036.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 618
  • 028.JPG
    028.JPG