kermit

Aug 9, 2005
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Whites V3I, AT PRO, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vibra Probe 560 Vs Sunray DX-1

Well it's about time to buy a new Pinpointer......

I have been looking at the Vibra Probe 560 or the Sunray DX-1 for my Whites DFX. I already have a Bullseye II and I about have the tip of it wore off. It's just a matter of time before it makes it's last little beep.

I can buy a Vira Probe 560 for $99.00 bucks shipped.
This guy has the best deal I could find on the net....http://www.southern-treasures.com/vibra_probe_page.htm

The DX-1 is looking like it will cost about $180.00 Not cheap by no means but it does use the battery from the detector.
but could add a little weight. http://www.goldbummin.com/sunray_detector_accessories_67.htm

If anyone has any info on the above products let it fly. I wish I had a store close so I could walk in
and take a look.

Thanks

Kermit

Upvote 0

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: (((((((((((((( Vibra Probe 560 or Sunray DX-1 ))))))))))))))

Hey Kermit - I thought about getting a Sunray for my DFX, but I ordered a 560 instead...should be arriving soon. The DFX pinpoints just fine, and I can use the 560 when using my CZ-20 at the beach.? I was influenced a bit by this post...

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,23775.0.html

You will want to read the whole thing.? Hope it helps.

HH!,
TBGO

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

anyone contimplating this should only get the Sunray for your machine..
I have both and the vibra probe only picks up if your touching your item,
and you can not forget your Sun ray probe as its attached to your machine

jackaldridge

Greenie
Jan 31, 2006
Northeastern Oklahoma

I have used both....the VibraProbe crapped out big-time....wires from the inside to the battery gave out and no way to fix it...it's all sealed inside. Just got the DX1...man what a great idea...I used it on a beach this week-end and never even took the Bullseye out of its holster.
Good Hunting!

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I tried a Sunray probe on my Whites IDX Pro. It was OK but would sometimes go unstable when switching. Switching was a little inconvenient. I use a Bullseye and an Automax V2, both are OK, but they seemed cheap and will eventually wear out. I found a listing for a gem called the Periscope form a Canadian company. If it is a sound unit it would be the Cadillac of pinpointers. I cannot find an actual manufacturer so the decision is still iffy. Right now is I had to buy a new pinpointer it would be a Treasure Mate made by Treasure Quest. I read an independent report by a college archaeological group that was impressive when comparing the unit to the top dogs, Sunray was not included as it was not a stand alone unit.

Ed Donovan

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I think the DX1 is a very cool piece of equipment. ?I almost bought one. ?The real decision came down to what a pinpointer should do for you. ?Do I have any problem pinpointing targets very accurately with my detector (DFX)? ?No. ?Do I need what amounts to another detector to pinpoint more accurately? ?No. ?Do I need more cables and gear hanging off my detector? ?No. ?Is it easier to pull the DX1 probe off your detector than it is to pull a regular pinpointer out of your pouch or pocket? ?No. ?Do I need another detector to tell me what my DFX has already told me? ?No. ?Do I need a pinpointer that has a lot of depth? ?No, why should I...my detector already told me where it is. ?Do I need a pinpointer whose power can cause confusion by picking up nearby targets? ?No. Do I need a pinpointer that requires me to flick a switch? No. ?Do I need a pinpointer that helps me find a target I can't see? ?Yes. ?Do I need a pinpointer that is small, portable and useable with all my detectors? ?Yes. ?Do I need a pinpointer that costs half as much? ?No, but it does save some $.

If you're using a machine that does not pinpoint accurately, then the DX1 may be the correct choice. ?For my purposes I just don't need another detector, which theDX1 is...I just need to find my target in the pile every once in a while. ?I'm not DX1 bashing...I am a gadget guy and I think it's a superb piece of equipment. ?It would just be overkill for me to buy one for functionality that would be redundant and unnecessary.

HH!
TBGO

jackaldridge

Greenie
Jan 31, 2006
Northeastern Oklahoma

Beep....your comments are appreciated....however... :-)
I use loops other than the stock coil on my detector....so pinpointing (especially with the 1400DD) becomes less accurate. The DX1 is tough enough that I actually do a little digging with it in the soft dirt...something I'm afraid to do with the others.
I haven't found the weight to be excessive (sheeesh the 1400DD weighs a ton anyway!)...
I wanted something that would last...I was really disappointed in the VibraProbe....

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I hear you...and I know what you mean about the 1400DD.? The Infinium that I had for awhile had one and it took some practice, and even then it was tough.? I also know what you mean about the V Probe's wires...I found that you need to hold the metal cap under knob so you don't twist up the battery and wires...they should mention this in the instructions, but they don't.? Not a great design.

I'm thinking of getting a 1400DD for the DFX...who knows, I might change my mind.? ;)

HH!
TBGO

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Was thinking of getting the SunRay also, but after Monty posted his results, I am
having second thoughts.

Have the money put aside but now not sure if it will be a SunRay.

Any other comments on probes/pinpointers in general?

all have a good un..............

JW

Apr 8, 2005
No. California
Detector(s) used
ML ExII, GPX4000

Sunray works with the detectors features and is stored on the detector. It is the best probe out there hands down and saves tons of time recovering deep iffy targets. I can pinpoint 9" down on my Explorer and be dead on, but in trashy areas the probe identifys each target with the machine tones, other all-metal pinpointers will pick up everything equally. Should be a no-brainer, unless you have more than one detector that you consistently hunt with.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Vibra Probe 560 Vs Sunray DX-1

Check out my ongoing reevaluation on the Sunray GTI-1. You really can't compare a stand alone probe with a Sunray unit because the Sunray unit is neither a probe nor a pinpointer. It's actually a miniature coil. If you are having trouble pinpointing, I have pinpointed targets as deep as seven inches with the GTI-1. You can't do that with any stand alone probe on the market at any price. Monty

N

Newline

Just to give the results of my limited experience, I have used the Vibra Probe and while its depth is limited to about an inch to an inch and a half I think your choice depends on how much detecting you want the probe to do for you. I mainly use mine to detect the objects that look just like the dirt around them and you really don't see with your eye. It is strong and I can jab it around in the dirt without worry of it becoming damaged. It is sealed and waterproof and has no problem underwater at all. Since it vibrates instead of beeping it is low key and nice for areas where you may not see as well, also easier that taking off your main headphones to listen for a signal. It does have a tendency to interact with your main detector however if they are too near each other. But the auto turn on and off is nice for one hand use, the vibration is definitely noticable and I have honestly saved myself a lot of time sifting dirt with this. I plan to take it to the beach with me and maybe jab around a bit in and out of the water while playing in teh sand with my daughter; get in a little extra detecting without encroaching on the sunbathers. It has worked well for me and if you're not looking for extreme depth of penetration in a probe I think it is well worth the price. There's even a new one on ebay right now for about $88.00 shipped and a 90 day warranty. Just my two cents worth.

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.

I bought a vibre probe from kellyco...did not like it at all...
Exchanged the pinpointer for a 5 inch coil for my new minelab detector...
Lost 20% of my money....re-stocking fee....

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I buy from Kellyco, but you have to be careful. I returned two detectors that were Chinese made but not advertised as such so they got to me too! I've wondered if that was on purposse, but in the end it's my fault for not asking. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread