Virginia Hunt, Relic

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was looking into putting together a Virginia hunt out on some old farm land, was looking for some insight into how you guys set one of these up in Virginia, I have several location in mind and all were within a couple miles of big battlefields. Let me know what you think and what time of year you could get free to do this? Drinks and snack will be up to you guys, we could take up donations or set someone to take care of that. Let me know :dontknow:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should clarify if this is a paid hunt, or a fun one, and how many people are you talking about?

gmanlight

Jun 17, 2007
MA NH seacoast
Detector(s) used
what ever works
Sign me up. That is a very kind offer but you will need some basic rules to
protect your site .
Protection from people sneaking on to the site.
Trampling the site with hole and or trash.
A large group hunt it a lot of work , although i have not been to one.
If i had access to a site i might start with small groups and go from there.
Some site testing would be good also , to provied info to activity
that was there in the past. Good Luck Mike

OP
OP
dtpost

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This would be paid hunt, and if you get caught out here, detecting without permission you'll be arrested. I'm looking into leasing land from local farmers, who otherwise wouldn't be making anything off the land in the winter time. It would be about 13 people including myself and another treasure net hunter. Overall 15 all together, one day hunt, starting at 9AM and ending at 5PM. These hunts will take place in multiple counties in Virginia. The price will be $20 a person and drink and snack will be made available, seeing things go well, we'll open it up for larger groups and even private groups. If you think other rules need to added PM me.

Basic detecting ethics:

Don't litter, and pick up trash if you dig it up
Fill your holes
no outside contracts with the land owners (asking permission for you and your buddies to come back) :'(
Everything will be photographed for treasure net postings
you keep what you find
no moonlighting
respect the land that has been, made available to hunt on, and you'll be asked to return again. If not, you'll be asked to leave.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dtpost said:
This would be paid hunt, and if you get caught out here, detecting without permission you'll be arrested. I'm looking into leasing land from local farmers, who otherwise wouldn't be making anything off the land in the winter time. It would be about 13 people including myself and another treasure net hunter. Overall 15 all together, one day hunt, starting at 9AM and ending at 5PM. These hunts will take place in multiple counties in Virginia. The price will be $20 a person and drink and snack will be made available, seeing things go well, we'll open it up for larger groups and even private groups. If you think other rules need to added PM me.

Basic detecting ethnics:

Don't litter, and pick up trash if you dig it up
Fill your holes
no outside contracts with the land owners (asking permission for you and your buddies to come back) :'(
Everything will be photographed for treasure net postings
you keep what you find
no moonlighting
respect the land that has been, made available to hunt on, and you'll be asked to return again. If not, you'll be asked to leave.

Ok that price isn't worth worrying about. It's just when someone charges a high price they better have a great site to back it up. For $20 that's really no different than a bunch of friends getting together and giving it a shot.

We did a hunt several years back for $20 each and had about 25 there. You really need a pretty big area when you get over 10 people swinging all day, especially if multiple days. All our other hunts we did for free but for the one my friend threw the $20 a head at the farmer and it was good with him, and fine by us. They are always fun, but more fun when there's some decent finds dug. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
dtpost

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Woodland Detectors 4-H said:
Here's the best advice (in a nutshell) you may get. A few years ago, I went as far as to gather sponsors for the event I wanted to put on. A local museum was one of them. I was going to have it in N.C on 150 acres. (too small) There are many factors that came into play that changed my mind in pursuing it.

Do This:

On a sheet of paper, figure out the pros and cons of holding one, and you will see what I am talking about. Not to throw a wrench in your plan, but it's really not a good idea.
This would be on property no less than 375 acres each, I think the best way of going with this is to start a club and use the property for club members only. Roadquest and I have started this project, to help give detectors a place to legally hunt with no questions ask policy. They'll be bylaws on things to do and not do, you'll have to sign a waiver stating you understand the ethics of the club and understand the land lease as well. I'm not doing this by just throwing it together, I want this club or hunt to be a lasting value for local detector who have nowhere to legally hunt. I already have large areas near battlefields that we can hunt and some are on family land.

dwbatten

Jan 15, 2011
Hilltop NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites IDX Pro
Sounds like a great idea ! I would consider getting involved with an event like this, what part of Va are you planning this hunt in.

Ronfrommichigan

Jan 8, 2011
Oxford MI
Detector(s) used
All
I take trips to Roanoke and Lynchburg to visit relatives.Post location,date and fees.Both I and my brother from Virginia may be interested.Thanks Ron

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like a great idea to me....Good Luck.......Let me in on the details when you get them if it is at a time i can get there i will be there........

OP
OP
dtpost

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dwbatten said:
Sounds like a great idea ! I would consider getting involved with an event like this, what part of Va are you planning this hunt in.
Sailor's Creek area

OP
OP
dtpost

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ronfrommichigan said:
What big city is close to Sailor's Creek?
Not near a big city, Farmville, VA is only bigger town near by

OP
OP
dtpost

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roadquest said:
New name of club: Virginia Historical Research Club

Roadquest :coffee2:
Meeting Saturday, Glen Allen - whoevers going to be there PM me

sdun85

Feb 21, 2011
Newport News, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be interested in joining this hunt. Please post updates as to when this will take place.

Chris Canada

Feb 9, 2007
Niagara
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Tessoro Vaqureo, NoktaMakro Simplex+, garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This may seem a little odd but my father and I are going to be in Lexington VA last week in April and would love any opportunity to dig with anyone.we are both pumped and can't wait for the visit.
Butch and Craig even gave me a plug on their show last night.very cool of them to do that!
Thanks alot EH!

Cheers,
Chris de Laat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread