Virus Redirection problem help????

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seemed to of gotten a virus. And now my browser is being redirected. my antivirus took care of the bug, I believe. The problem seems to be in the address redirection.
EXample: res:''//ieframe.dll/dnserror.htm#http:google/
I took care of this a while back but cant seem to remember how?
any help?
thanks

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
I wish I had the solution because I have the same problem. I have run avg antivirus, malware bytes antimalware, spybot, hijack this and adaware. Nothing seems to solve this problem short of
reformatting my pc and I don't want to do that.

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried running Windows Recovery? Update your AntiVirus and run a full system scan. Then, you can run the recovery using a point before the virus hit.

These days, I'm constantly updating my own AntiVirus and it's been excellent in stopping virus's, worms, and trojans.

I've used nothing but Norton's AntiVirus in the 11 years or more that I've been 'puting. Never had a problem.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When does the redirect take place? Is it when your using Google to search or what? What is the name of the hijacker?

Try Hitman Pro3.5, I recently used it to fix the Google Hijacker (virus) which redirected to the wrong site 7 out of 10 times....
I run AVG antivirus, and for spyware Malware Bytes, Ad-Aware and Hitman......

Hitman Pro3.5 comes with a 30 day free trial period, if you have any problems IM me....

http://download.cnet.com/Hitman-Pro-3/3000-2239_4-10895604.html

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
first thing I do when I buy a puter is DELETE Norton, it robs too much of your ram while you're trying to use it,
instead I use Webroot Spysweeper. it updates automatically and if you have a problem with a virus, call their helpline and they will help you, free. you can also set it up to run automatically at set intervals or just run it when you want to

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been running AVG for over 5 years, love it, and it is totally free.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spooky said:
Sniffer said:
first thing I do when I buy a puter is DELETE Norton, it robs too much of your ram while you're trying to use it,
instead I use Webroot Spysweeper. it updates automatically and if you have a problem with a virus, call their helpline and they will help you, free. you can also set it up to run automatically at set intervals or just run it when you want to

This.

A secondary
And FREE
option is to download "spybot search and destroy", (free) restart in "safe mode" install and scan..
Then DELETE the thing, it is also a resource pig.
Then download avast antivirus, or "AVG" also free.

This is not QUITE as good as Sniffer's solution, but it is free, and should kick 99% or all malicious viruses and bots out there.

I tried Malware Bytes, AdAware and Spybot Search and Destroy, they would not remove the Goggle redirect hijack, Hitmanpro was the only thing I found that would remove it....

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
sorry spysweeper isn't free but I felt that 39.95 was a cheap price to pay for a virus free puter

OP
OP
Reverend B*IKE*

Reverend B*IKE*

Jan 11, 2009
YOU CON
Detector(s) used
Minelab SAFARI, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I solved my problem. I went to tools: then internet options.
Next Go to Connections tab Click on LAN settings.
Make sure your proxy server is unchecked. especially bypass.
Worked for me!

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
I have tried all of that and looked at my hosts list as well. I just can't find the little bugger. It happens when I do a search and then click on a link. After the 2nd or 3rd try I get to the site I am wanting. If I type the address in directly, it works just fine and sometimes when I have 2 browser windows open, I don't have a problem with the second one.

I have used system restore, and all of the above mentioned programs except Hitmanpro. I have never heard of that one but will try it.

Thanks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lafatlife said:
I have tried all of that and looked at my hosts list as well. I just can't find the little bugger. It happens when I do a search and then click on a link. After the 2nd or 3rd try I get to the site I am wanting. If I type the address in directly, it works just fine and sometimes when I have 2 browser windows open, I don't have a problem with the second one.

I have used system restore, and all of the above mentioned programs except Hitmanpro. I have never heard of that one but will try it.

Thanks

lafatlife, it sounds like you have the Google Hijack virus.....Have you tried HitmanPro3.5, it is what worked for me.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If what you have is the 'Antivirus Soft' virus, it's annoying as heck but fairly simple to remove.

1. Restart your computer. As your computer restarts but before Windows launches, tap “F8” key constantly. Use the arrow keys to highlight the “Safe Mode with Networking” option as shown in the image below, and then press ENTER.

2. Open Internet Explorer. Click on the Tools menu and then select Internet Options.

3. In the the Internet Options window click on the Connections tab. Then click on the LAN settings button.

4. Now you will see Local Area Network (LAN) settings window. UNCHECK the checkbox labeled Use a proxy server for your LAN under the Proxy Server section and press OK.

5. If you already have Malwarebytes installed, bring it up. If you don't have it, now is a good time to DL it. Make sure you have the latest updates. (If you are installing it for the first time, it should already be the latest release)

6. Try a Quick Scan (malwarebytes) first. It showed as 3 files after my scan and I was able to remove them. If the Quick Scan doesn't do the trick, try the Full Scan.

If successful, re-boot system. Should work fine.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Spywaredoctor + antivirus and run a full system scan and so far it's been 100% effective. The only problem I have had is that it sometimes admits adware and I have to rescan to kill the popups. Monty

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off, if you're using Internet Explorer... I'd suggest to switch to Mozilla Firefox. It's much more secure.
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html (the download link is on the right side of the page)

I haven't had any virus problems in over 4 years... I've had "virus attempts", which have kinda made me giggle and laugh a little... but none of them get to my computer thanks to (free) Avast! Antivirus. Spyware (in cookie form) seems to be the only little buggers that get by sometimes, but those are taken care of with a quick little scan with my (free) Ad-Aware software. Avast Antivirus also does a Start-up Scan for 32-bit Windows systems, which scans during the bootup session, which takes place before any viruses have the chance to boot up when Windows loads. :thumbsup:

One last piece of software that I recommend is CCleaner! It tends to clear out most of the "junk" that bogs down your system while browsing the net... and kinda gives your system a big breath of fresh air!

None of these really use up much system memory, which is awesome!!

Bran <><

Ad-Aware Free Anti-Malware 8.2
http://download.cnet.com/Ad-Aware-F...045910.html?part=dl-ad-aware&subj=dl&tag=top5

Avast Free Antivirus 5.0.462
http://download.cnet.com/Avast-Free-Antivirus/3000-2239_4-10019223.html?tag=mncol

CCleaner v2.30
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Guys, Hitman Pro finally took care of the problem. Thank you so much!!!!! I had tried everything else that I had heard of and nothing was taking care of the problem.

I just did a few searches and was immediately taken to the correct pages.

Apparently there was a rootkit called atapi.sys in there.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lafatlife said:
Guys, Hitman Pro finally took care of the problem. Thank you so much!!!!! I had tried everything else that I had heard of and nothing was taking care of the problem.

I just did a few searches and was immediately taken to the correct pages.

Apparently there was a rootkit called atapi.sys in there.

Thanks again everyone!!!

Glad to see it worked for you, I know nothing I tried and I tried several different fixes would work till I Hitman Pro3.5.....Your free trial is only good for 30 days, if you have a problem again after that 30 day period is up, IM me I can help you. :wink:............

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
Thanks. I uninstalled the program and manually removed the items from the registry so if I have to use it again, I will just reinstall it.

I am so glad that the problem is finally fixed. It was a pain the butt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread