Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Upvote 0

WhiteHunter

Dec 28, 2006
Hampshire
Detector(s) used
E-trac,X-Terra 70, Ace 250 with Sniper Coil, Sea Hunter MK2
Wet suit or even a dry suit is better because if you fall over in your waders then your going to be in a bit of trouble you will have much more freedom with a wet suit or dry suit

chipveres

Jul 9, 2007
Hollywood, Florida
Depending on how cold the water is, a shorty wet suit could do. Quite a lot easier to get on and off than a full suit. Don't forget a pair of boots to go with. If you are not easily embarassed, a pair of ladies nylon panties keep the family jewels contained while changing in and out. Easily embarassed, men's Speedo bathing suit does the same thing for ten times the price.

Chip V.

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
chipveres said:
Depending on how cold the water is, a shorty wet suit could do. Quite a lot easier to get on and off than a full suit. Don't forget a pair of boots to go with. If you are not easily embarassed, a pair of ladies nylon panties keep the family jewels contained while changing in and out. Easily embarassed, men's Speedo bathing suit does the same thing for ten times the price.

Chip V.

Holy Moly now I gotta dress in drag to go water tectin. :D ;D ;)

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wet suit is a lot cheaper than a dry suit. The inner material makes the effort of getting into them pretty easy or add a pair of "skins" and you'll glide into any wet suit. I've detected in 40 degree water for 5 hours and gold dredged in cold water for 8 hours. The first shock of cold water lasts a few seconds until the water is heated from your body heat then you'll be toasty warm until you get out. When getting out of the wet suit and the weather is cold can be challenging or keep it on and sit on a towel till you get home.
Some people pee in their suits when nature calls, avoid it if you can or wash it real good in soapy water. You can buy a good wet suit either online or a dive shop. Most are tailor made to fit you. Good luck! ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skins are sort of like longjohns for the water. You can wear them inside a wet suit for extra warmth or alone just to protect the skin from jelly fish, etc. The panty hose makes the wet suit slide on an off easy. I like waders only for fresh water when it's chilly, but you still need to watch out ya don't step in a hole.

The worst thing about waders is having to go ashore to pee. But my brother in law does this even if he's in a full wet suit.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking a whizz in a wet suit may be yuch, but when your down there underwater or far from the john, what are ya going to do? The full two piece wet suits are called "farmer Johns." They have nothing to do with farming. I know a few guys that won't whizz in the bushes while hunting. What's that all about? ::)

jorge del norte

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2005
nc
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex - Tesoro Conquistador Umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i wizz in my surfing wetsuit all the time, it gets washed out anyway.......it's a old trick for the cold water surfing......it is actually comforting in the the cold water

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
MD Dog,

I use waders AND a wet suit. Sometimes I just don't feel like getting wet! Those times I use my waders. I don't have a changing problem with the WS because I use an RV to hunt from. When you get to the water on a Mon. morning and there are three or four guys hunting, the WS gets you out a foot deeper than they can go with waders! It can make a difference. I have also used dry suits before but right now I don't have one. I will be grabbing one when I find a good deal. I use a type 5 Stearns inflatable LP belt when I hunt. If I get in trouble I can pull the activation cord. Joe

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Cool, I feel like a kid again. When I first made up my mind to be a for real treasure hunter, first thing I learned was there's alot more to be learned. Now I get to start all over with the learning for water, I swear if you could see me a 49 yo man almost giddy with excitement at all the new, sites,toys,prospects. ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D

p.s. thanks joe for the idea of inflateable life vest. ;)

p.s. Sandman I don't got no prob peein in the bushes, but peeing in my pants isn't why I thought they called it a wet suit. :D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD Dog, Things are going to get very interesting with everything we learn about this hobby. I enjoy the excitement of seeing what I have uncovered with the detector. Have you visited the site from the master? thegoldenolde.com/ Norm taught me how to do the Happy Dance but cautioned me on doing it in public to not attract attention to myself. There is a lot of information there on the site. BTW, I am not the same Sandman he has on the website, though I know Gregg.

Feel free to email me with questions.

Sandman

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
MD Dog said:
chipveres said:

Chip V.

Holy Moly now I gotta dress in drag to go water tectin. :D ;D ;)

lol...had I been drinking something at the time I probably would have sprayed my monitor...that was funny.
Think I would pass on the panty thing and the speedos :o

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
Yeah Sandman I've been studying at Norms site for quite awhile before I even started asking you guys stuff. Your right he is the Master, sure wish he were still around for us old newbies to learn from. But Guess you and the other guys/gals here will be able to fill in the blanks jest fine. Thanks 8)

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MD Dog said:
Cool, I feel like a kid again. When I first made up my mind to be a for real treasure hunter, first thing I learned was there's alot more to be learned. Now I get to start all over with the learning for water, I swear if you could see me a 49 yo man almost giddy with excitement at all the new, sites,toys,prospects. ;D ;D ;D :D :D :D
I know what you mean. I got my Tiger Shark on Labor day. I have a blast each time I go out. I'm looking around no body of water is safe from me!

fanatic

Feb 4, 2005
There are two kinds of people that wear wet suits. Those that pee in them and those that say they don't! ;D

OP
OP
MD Dog

MD Dog

Bronze Member
Feb 10, 2007
Please don't yell !
there's a third kinda person like me who's buying a dry suit. Was told this would be a prudent investment by my local dive shop since I plan on working in these local waters of WNY. I'm taking a class on how to use them first before buying, also his idea, but I understand no additional pee is needed, thank goodness ! :D

diggerfororo

Jul 29, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6-CZ20-Whites surf PI
FLauthor said:
Wet suit is a lot cheaper than a dry suit. The inner material makes the effort of getting into them pretty easy or add a pair of "skins" and you'll glide into any wet suit. I've detected in 40 degree water for 5 hours and gold dredged in cold water for 8 hours. The first shock of cold water lasts a few seconds until the water is heated from your body heat then you'll be toasty warm until you get out. When getting out of the wet suit and the weather is cold can be challenging or keep it on and sit on a towel till you get home.
Some people pee in their suits when nature calls, avoid it if you can or wash it real good in soapy water. You can buy a good wet suit either online or a dive shop. Most are tailor made to fit you. Good luck! ;D

I wear what is called a "Hot Skin" This is a lycra body suit that makes getting in and out of a wet suit a snap.I do mostly salt water hunting and you can wear a shorty and still be protected from jelly fish which is a problem where I hunt. I would have to say that waders would be a no-no as they can get you killed in even calm water. I had a friend that was wearing waders and stepped in a hole and almost drowned. If you have to pee in your suit to keep warm go ahead but wash out in frabric softener and it will remove the urine and get rid of the smell.

Les

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread