Wahoo !!!!!! A dream comes true !!!!

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Research and hard work finally paid off in a huge way !!!!

I was finding mostly late 1800's relics and coins but knew the area was farmed as early as the 1640's so the potential was there for something really old to come out of the ground. I have been dreaming of finding one of these coins for years. I have seen 'Tree Coins' dug by other hunters which was quite a thrill. But, nothing compares to locating and digging one for yourself.

It's a 1662 Oak Tree Two Pence. It's the tiny thing next to the Barber and Mercury dimes. It's not in great shape but it's not holed or bent and it's the prettiest thing I've dug in the 30+ years that I've been detecting and I couldn't be happier !!!

Thanks for looking and Happy Hunting !!!

Brian in MA

Attachments

• DSC01807.jpg
    DSC01807.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 6,220
Upvote 0

Mr_Mojo_Risin

Apr 29, 2008
Eau Claire, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Arrrgghhh. Believe me, I'm very happy you found that. Don't get me wrong! Just frustrates me that I find poop all the time! I'm sure my day will come. Happy future hunting- will look for more posts from you!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome...Congrats on the find and the banner. Well deserved...glad your research paid off big time.

NJ

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A big CONGRATULATIONS from all the Missouri treasure hunters who are totally STUNNED over your find.

WTG :thumbsup:
Nat

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
How cool is that!

I don't think you can get much earlier here in the States, and only some of those states, at that! That's really impressive, congrats!

HH
Nan

p.s.
what Nat said - absolutely!
(I'm in Missouri, too)

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on making the banner. :thumbsup: Very well deserved.

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow man, that is awesome.
Great find indeed.
WTG.
Rob

peanut695 said:
Thanks for the replies guys... I'm still shaking !!!! I used that pic to show the size comparison to the dimes. This coin is tiny. But, since you all want to see close ups. Here they are: (hopefully when the wife gets home with the 'good' camera I can get some better pics...)

What a day !!!!

Brian

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the Holy Grail of NorthEast MDing. AND it is the Holy Grail of the Pine Tree Coinage. INCREDIBLE.

-Buckleboy

willpond & LLK

Mar 24, 2008
Wyalusing, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Cutless, Tesoro Toltec 100, Tesoro Compadre, Tesoro Cibola, Fisher F2, Fisher 1236-X2
Congratulations!!!! That's a find of two lifetimes!

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
From the site Coin and Currency Collections
in the Department of Special Collections
University of Notre Dame Libraries

http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/OakTree.intro.html

1662 Noe 30 MA Oak Tree Twopence

Obverse: MASATHVSETS . IN [:]
Reverse: NEW ENGLAND [rosette of eight dots (seven outside and one inside)] [in center] 1662 / II

Weight: 10.4 g (0.67 grams) Diameter: 15.2 mm

Comments: The Oak Tree twopence is the only Massachusetts silver to bear a date other than 1652. See the Oak Tree introduction for the significance of this item. The obverse shows an oak tree with a shrub at each side and two base lines below. Althought the center of this coin is worn the center point made by the compass in the die (for describing the circles used to align the beads) can be seen just below and slightly left of the intersection of the two top branches (which come together as a V). Note that the first S in MASATHVSETS is unusual in that it is elongated and leans to the right.

There was only one pair of dies for this coin but Noe has traced six different stages in the life of the reverse die (others have added several intermediate states). The first three stages have a small 2 in the date as in the example shown here. In stages 4-6 the die was recut with a larger numeral 2. In the first stage (Noe 29) the foot of the 2 does not extend out to the ring of beads. In the second stage (Noe 30) there was a die break extending the end of the 2 to the ring of beads as in our example, which unfortunately is worn in that area. Note there is also a die break to the right of the A in ENGLAND extending from the rim to the base of the final stroke of the A. This was present from the first die stage and remained about the same in the second stage. In the third stage (Noe 31) the break was extended to the second 6 in the date, which does not seem to have occurred in our example.

Provenance: From the Robert H. Gore, Jr. Numismatic Collection.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Attachments

• Oak-2d-Noe30_obv.jpg
    Oak-2d-Noe30_obv.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 3,967
  • Oak-2d-Noe30_rev.jpg
    Oak-2d-Noe30_rev.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 3,944

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
peanut695 said:
Thanks for the replies guys... I'm still shaking !!!! I used that pic to show the size comparison to the dimes. This coin is tiny. But, since you all want to see close ups. Here they are: (hopefully when the wife gets home with the 'good' camera I can get some better pics...)

What a day !!!!

Brian
size it with a caliper
weigh that puppy on a pocket scale :thumbsup:
looks to be the real deal
soak it in distilled water for a day or 2 the rinse repeat
then ship it to a REPUTABLE GRADING SERVICE

Colonial Zoyboy

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2006
PA
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Congrats on a well-deserved banner find. :thumbsup: You are a true pro, Mr. 1662 wilver guy. :thumbsup:

Kyle

myelo1023

Jul 14, 2008
The Woodlands, Texas
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett pinpointer
I have nothing other to say, than WOW! I'm a newbie, so I would be happy finding a wheatie! Geez...that is AWESOME. Congrats!

jsehoule

Nov 24, 2006
Awesome find. I live in Western MA. I live close to the line of forts and historic towns that were burned down several times. I keep dreaming of finding a coin like this. Congrats and good luck in your future hunts....

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Wow! Congratulations! Was me, I don't think I would just be shakin', someone would be cleaning up the mess, I think I'd wet myself!
What a Find!!!!!
Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread