Walking the Appalachian Trail

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
I am seriously considering doing a thru walk on the Appalachian Trail next year. The only obstacle I seem to face is the funds necessary to do it. I plan to work on some ideas for funding though. My question to Tneters is this. Is there anyone interested in making the journey with me? It usually takes between 5-7 months. I understand alot of people have families and other obligations that would keep them from being able to.

I plan to hike the whole thing start to finish but am open to the possibility of having people walk portions of the trail with me. I am looking locally for someone(s) to do the whole thing with me but if need be I will be doing it alone.

Anyone interested respond here or pm me. I am also open to any thoughts, ideas, or guidance.

HH
-K

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
I have a couple of friends that did this 30+ years ago . A grand adventure if you choose to do it .
Portions of it are much more dangerous today than they were then . Caution is advised .

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were to walk it today I would make sure I carried a firearm for protection from human scum.

Better to have a gun and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you planning to hike it from north to south or from south to north?
What time of year do you plan to start the journey?

I did 200 miles of it and that was enough for me to get it out of my system.
Hope you get the funding, perhaps donations from sponsors would be available.

That will be some adventure and a great accomplishment, testing not only your endurance but also your resolve.
I also understand that black bears are becoming more of a problem.

You may find these sites helpful:

http://www.appalachiantrail.com/

http://www.fred.net/kathy/at.html

Happy Trails,

GG~

rockhound

Bronze Member
Apr 9, 2005
I would not advise you walking it alone. I know several who did walk the trail as a group of about seven. They started in Georgia in April and arrived in Maine in late August. They loved the experience but said the trail was also wrought with hazzards such as bears and people. They encounted several families who were living on the trail. They carried weapons for protection, and was not treathened, but this was 15-20 years ago. Have fun, but be prepared and be cautious. rockhound

sassyswingah

Greenie
Jul 28, 2009
I live very near the end of the AT and have hiked in Baxter Park including Mt Katahdin many times. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavor!

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The trail passes right by where I live. You'll go through Lee, Lenox, Hinsdale, and Dalton Ma. I see many people walking it. As said before, I don't reccomend walking it alone. I would also carry some form of personal protection, a pistol is perfect. I would also carry mace for bears and other unwanted wildlife.

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Check out Peace Pilgrim...Google her. I think you might find some insight after you read her story.

OP
OP
klava

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
Thanks for all the replies.

The plan so far is to go from Georgia to Maine. On a side note I am an accomplished outdoorsman and have lived pretty much my whole life in the Appy Mountains.

On the firearm front. I have been shooting since I was seven. Was taught not only accuracy but to respect the firearm and how to properly handle it at all times. That being said firearms are illegal most of the trail and even a federal charge in some places. This trip is about Independence and if I were to end up in jail, well, that would suck lol.

I am however looking at alternatives. It helps having friends in law enforcement.

I am doing my best to find a partner. Or more than one and I still have plenty of time over the next 7 months or so to find one.

One thing is for sure. i will not let fear keep me from doing this. I will however protect myself to the extent the law allows and always be alert.

HH
-K

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Well worded response . I don't think any of us advised fear ; only caution . There have been many people murdered by sickos along the Trail in recent years . A good dog as a companion and pay attention to that companion's instincts . Far as firearms are concerned ; I see your point on a Fed rap . At your
age your pack would be the one most likely searched . My idea is that it is better for the sheriff to come than the coroner .
Follow your dream with a stout staff , a sharp blade , and your wits .
Keep us posted .
Jim

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you Do it, Let me know.

When you reach my area I'll see You
Get a good Meal at the Nearest Steak House.

from 225 to Port Clinton is in my area

Attachments

• at3.JPG
    at3.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 368

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
klava said:

The plan so far is to go from Georgia to Maine. On a side note I am an accomplished outdoorsman and have lived pretty much my whole life in the Appy Mountains.

On the firearm front. I have been shooting since I was seven. Was taught not only accuracy but to respect the firearm and how to properly handle it at all times. That being said firearms are illegal most of the trail and even a federal charge in some places. This trip is about Independence and if I were to end up in jail, well, that would suck lol.

I am however looking at alternatives. It helps having friends in law enforcement.

I am doing my best to find a partner. Or more than one and I still have plenty of time over the next 7 months or so to find one.

One thing is for sure. i will not let fear keep me from doing this. I will however protect myself to the extent the law allows and always be alert.

HH
-K

So you are planning on leaving 7 months from now? March is still pretty cold in those mountains at night. Of course when I was your age I could handle it easier. :tongue3:

Keep us posted, hope you find some outfitter sponsors, although money is tight right now, it doesn't cost anything to ask.
Get as much publicity as you can and the sponsors will be calling you.

GG~

OP
OP
klava

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
I'm thinking of First of to mid April for departure. No set time yet. keeping options open in case i find a travelmate or two.

Jeff sounds great. Id love to meet any Tneters along the way. Even if they don't want to hike any. Maybe have a meal and a cold beer. Hell I may take a couple days off from the hike to do some detecting with you. I always love Reading of your finds and have always wanted to hunt in your soil conditions. those old coppers come out looking so sweet(never found a large)

Another trail i really want to hit is the Mountian to Sea trail which runs from Tn to Nags head. Its ~1K miles and I love the sea. Hard to think of a better finish.

As for the At there are many reasons for me wanting to do it from South to North but one of the biggest it how great it would be to experience New England in the fall. Ive always wanted to see it.

The fear statement was only to imply that IMO I will not let fear stop me from doing anything I want to do.

Another word on protection. While I am planning to have something nonlethal I will have a top of the line defence system. Past that i will be carrying a top of the line outdoorsman knife. And 3 smaller knifes. One on my person. One in my pack, and one in my back up kit(mostlikely a fanny pack with survival kit) it will be in case I were to lose my pack and need to survive for a few days. But my big deterant will be my Ontario Knife works machete. http://www.uscav.com/milmall/Productinfo.aspx?productID=6685&TabID=1. It weighs two lbs and will hang from my leg at all times.

HH
-K

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
klava said:

HH
-K
Google Howdah hunter.Its a sawed off black powder 20 gauge pistol,It is not considered a fire arm by federal law as its black powder.You could carry that and cut firewood with it. Great protection. My Bro did most the trail and had a blast that crazy jar head. Have fun but be awares.
TnMtns

OP
OP
klava

klava

Mar 13, 2007
Them there hills!
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistidor
TnM yeah i have thought of BP. I have alot of decisions to make over the next few months lol.

On a good note. i am pretty sure i found a hiking partner. He is fit and able and most importantly I think I could hang with him for 6 months without wanting to kill him lol.

No big deal to me but It sure will make Mom happy(she worries lol) I'm her "crazy" kid. The other two have successful careers. Car, house and cc debt. but no time or money to do the tings they WANT to do. But hey what do I know I'm crazy lol

-K

M

michigan michael

Very cool thread! Sounds like a great adventure! Being a diabetic I could not make a journey like that but, it sure sounds like I would love it if I could. Keep us posted.

Good luck!
MM

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
klava said:
TnM yeah i have thought of BP. I have alot of decisions to make over the next few months lol.

On a good note. i am pretty sure i found a hiking partner. He is fit and able and most importantly I think I could hang with him for 6 months without wanting to kill him lol.

No big deal to me but It sure will make Mom happy(she worries lol) I'm her "crazy" kid. The other two have successful careers. Car, house and cc debt. but no time or money to do the tings they WANT to do. But hey what do I know I'm crazy lol

-K

You only live once so grab it by the horns but know when to let go !! lol have fun
TnMtns

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Are you by any chance the Governor of your state?

If so, let somebody know where and when you go, and do NOT
fly down to South America while you're out. ;D

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My sister has a friend living in Georgia and last summer he travelled the entire length of the trail by Trail Bicycle. He packed a tent and other supplies on his bicycle and posted his experiences on Facebook or My Space (I can't remember which). My sister said that he is an outdoor nut and bikes everywhere. ;D
Anyway, he made the trip alone and appeared to enjoy his trek. I don't know if he'd do it again.
I drove from Mississippi to Fairbanks, Alaska during the month of December 1976 and enjoyed the heck out of the trip, but I'd wouldn't want to do it again. The Alcan was beautiful, but can be dangerous if you're not prepared. If you are prepared for the Appalachian Trail, go for it. You might just enjoy the trek more if you go it alone.....except for that steak dinner with Jeff, of course. ;D

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you swing threw Illinois :dontknow: :laughing7: I'll grill some ribs :icon_thumleft:
As a side note follow your dream :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread