wanted: opinions of CZ21-InfiniumLS-Excalibur ll

scrooge

May 3, 2008
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Dual Field,Whites PI Pro,Whites SurfMaster II- Tesoro Silver Saber uMAX-Garrett Infinium LS
wanted: opinions of CZ21-InfiniumLS-Excalibur ll

I have been metal detecting since1986 mostly on Florida east coast beaches and it is time for an upgrade in machinery. I have been using a whites surf master and a Tesoro both have served me well (my best find was a diamond tennis bracelet) but they are tried. I would like users opinions of these machines (CZ21- Infinium LS- Excalibur ll) . Thanks in advance Scrooge

Upvote 0

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: wanted: opinions of CZ21-InfiniumLS-Excalibur ll

Hey Scrooge. I use the Infinium for the water. I really like it. I will list the pros and the cons that I feel are important. I must say that I bought this machine specifically for use in the water only so I haven't tried it that much on land. My critique is specifically for use around the beach.

Pros

1. Simple to use. ( Very little to adjust or worry about.)
2. Multiple tone ID which again is simple. (Hi-Lo Tone for Possible Gold) (Low-High Tone for Possible Silver) My personal preference is that I dig only the possible gold signals. I have found gold on every serious water hunt I have done. Since modern coins range in the possible silver tones, I am able to stay away from diggin lots of pennies and clad giving me time to focus on more gold signals. The gold tone comes on any type or size of gold ring so it takes that decision out of the equation for you. Possible gold signals = dig for me.
3. Interchangeable Coils right on the spot without having to send it to the dealer. (5 Coils that I know of ranging from 3x7 inch to 10x14 inch) This is a very good option. I own three coils right now and hope to have the other two by the end of this year.
4. Interchangeable Headphones right on the spot. Use comfortable dry land phones when not in the surf and water phones when you may get wet.
5. Hip Mounts really easy. No special harnesses, etc. to hip mount. Factory shaft is light and easy to handle when hipmounted.
6. Rechargeable batteries seem to last all day.
7. Very stable in salt water and on wet salt sand. I have no issues at the beach with this machine at all.

Cons

1. Factory shaft wobbles when put together. I fixed this by applying a single layer of regular scotch tape around the male end before I put it together. There is an aftermarket straight shaft but I haven't used it since I cured the stock shaft issue.
2. Pulse Induction machines love iron so you will dig some iron. There is an iron check feature which allows you to avoid some of it. I have found that there is not a lot of iron on the regular beach anyway. I have had no problems with this to where it was a big issue.
3. Not practical for a relic or coin machine away from the beach. (I bought this machine specifically for the water and beach use so this was not an issue for me. Although it is billed as a Land/Surf machine, I tried using it here in the South for a relic machine but the small square nails had me digging myself to death. I have a Minelab Sovereign Elite that I use for relic and coin hunting away from the beach.)

I can't speak of the others. Guzz1 just bought a CZ water machine he can give you a read on it and lots of folks are using the Excalibur also and seem to like it. I guess it is just a matter of preference. I like the Infinium because it is easy to use, it is rugged. The tone signals take the guess work out of dig or not dig.

I did a lot of research like you are doing before I bought. It was between the same three you are asking about. I just thought the Infinium had all the things I was looking for. I got mine off EBAY with two coils and free shipping for 725. Not bad. Garrett has a great reputation for service also if you have any problems.

Good Luck.

Jim (DaChief)

OP
OP
scrooge

scrooge

May 3, 2008
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used
Dual Field,Whites PI Pro,Whites SurfMaster II- Tesoro Silver Saber uMAX-Garrett Infinium LS

Thanks for the input. I live in Jensen Beach Florida and love to hit the beaches. I will checkout EBAY.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Hey Scrooge I have had an Excal 1000 and now I own a CZ 20. The excal is a great machine in the water and on land. However I have found more tickets with the cz than the excal. Now I DON'T if that was do to luck or what or right place at the right time ,, could be .... I think between the 2 detectors it would have to be a toss up.. Both very good . it would come down to personal preference . your gonna have Hip mount the CZ ,,,its little heavy and your gonna have to straight shaft the excal to zero the weight balance .. excal is also heavy after swinging for an hour your really starts to feel it . Good luck and Hh ,, guzz1

fortunate

Sep 9, 2007
Alaska
Detector(s) used
garrett master hunter ads 7, excalibur 1000, whites gmt, compass 77b yukon prospector

Good thread..I'm about to buy an underwater detector and could use a little more input if someone else wants to give their opinion on the merits and faults of these machines...I could use the help..it's a $1,000.- question...
Thanks...fortunate

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:

ALSO  Check Tesoro ,,, Sandshark  and  The  Tigershark  , Both  great  md  at  a  great  price  with  lifetime warranty.  Can't  beat  it ,, I  have  a Sanshark for  the  water,its  a  PI  , great  MD  very  happy  with  it ..  Guzz1

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just my personal opinion, but I would go for the Excal if it was me.........................I still have an Excal, although it is mow my backupo to my waterproofed Sov GT. I still love it and I am strongly considering sending it to Minelab to have the hardwire a WOT coil on it.

After using the 15 " WOTs on both of my Sov GT's and also 16.5" Excelerator II Pro Search Coil on my land Sov GT, I could never go back to a 10 inch coil at the beach.

I can cover so much more beach area with the WOT's and Excelerator II.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I tried to stay out of this thread as many have answered the questions well before me, but there is one thing that isn't covered. I use all these detectors and perfer the Excal because of it's Iron Mask feature. No more digging two foot holes in the surf for a nail.

But back to the CZ20 or CZ21. This detector has something else going for it that many would never think of using. Because of it's three tones to id the target, you can use your time more productively at a beach by only digging the MIDDLE tones which stand a better chance of being a gold ring. The time spend digging the coins takes away from your time swinging for the target you really want. True you will come home with less change, but many times you will come home with more than just a couple rings.

I just noticed the pic has the Disc setting at 6, I operate mine at Zero.

Attachments

• CZ-20.jpg
    CZ-20.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 337

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Exellent info guys! I'm also looking into a water machine also the same covered here.

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have used the CZ-20 & 21 I have not used the other detectors you are talking about. I really like the CZ's very simple to use I believe the Excals. are about equal to them from what I hear, but I think you can swing the Fishers a little faster if I am not mistaken, like was mentioned it boils down to personal preference. I am with you Sandman, I use zero disc. on my CZ's, I like to hear it all!

OP
OP
scrooge

scrooge

May 3, 2008
Treasure Coast Florida
Detector(s) used

A big thanks to all who posted their experiences. I got the info I wanted- real world experiences not just manufacture field tests from companies that have a product to sell. I understand there is a learning curve with any detector.I will being using my new machine 95% of the time in the wet sand and saltwater with snorkel gear, this being said I think I am going with the Garrett Infinium. I dig all signals now so I don't mind a machine a PI. I was also looking at the White PI Pro and the Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II but thanks to Sandmans advice and his experience using different machines in the environment I will be using mine it looks like the Garrett will be my new machine. Thanks again Scrooge.

guzz1

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2007
Sarasota
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 . Carrot
Primary Interest:

Very Fine Choice on the garrettl, That will be my next PI ,,,, Hands down :thumbsup: :thumbsup: GOOD LUCK TO YOU Guzz1

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X

You will like the LS but be advised that it is not for everywhere. I have both the Excal and the LS and each has it's place. Basically I use the LS in deeper water where it is less trashy and the Excal for closer to shore. I also dig all targets with the Excal but you will find that because the LS is a PI you will dig some very deep iron targets that sound really good. Just pick your spots and learn the machine-it's a good one :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread