water fountain diving?

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Hmm-mm...I'll have to check the laws in my state.

What, if anything, would you do IF you saw a person scrounging for coins? Would YOU do it?

Police: Taking fountain coins not illegal
NEW YORK (UPI) -- Police in New York said taking change from a fountain in front of City Hall is not illegal after a man was spotted mining the fountain for coins.

Witnesses reported a man taking nickels, dimes and quarters that had been thrown into the fountain as a traditional gesture of good luck or wish-making, but police said the practice of taking coins from the fountain is not against the law, the New York Post reported Wednesday.

"Unless there are other varying factors, like public drunkenness, then no (it's not a crime)," a police source said.

The practice is, however, unusual, said Gene Nervina, 73, whose company handles the plumbing for the fountain.

"I've never seen it happen. I find it really odd," Nervina said.

Copyright 2008 by United Press International

T

The.Boomer

Go for it. Just because a bunch of superstitiuous middle aged house wives, get all emotional about it, like your stealing peoples hopes and dreams or some crazy shiate like that. If it's legal and people are stoopid enough to throw away good money. :wink: I live in the country and commute to work so got no time for fountain diving, but if I come across one when I do have time, I'm game. ;D

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
People freak out... but what if all that change was laying right there NEXT to the fountain? Everyone would be picking it up!

I do think some folks feel it becomes property of the "fountain" somehow... and that coin divers are tresspassing. LOL

I have never done it - but have always wanted to.

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey, the Goonies did it!!! Why not... :D

Bran <><

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
hahaha.."This one's mine and I'm taking it back"...that took me wayyy back...loved it!

Um, gnewt, define old:)

K

Kentucky Kache

gnewt said:
Only one I ever saw that got the coins out of a fountain was a very old man like me who volunteered to clean the tank.

People that clean them are usually minimum wage and its just a few dollars
Gnewt

Usually? And you've only seen ONE?

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
Ya know, I think if it came down to extreme fountain diving, full contact stuff....I *could* take the "old coin scoopin man" :icon_pirat:

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
I am not telling you whether or not you should do the water diving bit, just how I feel about it. I will remove my comments. I will remember the names and refrain from any more comments on your topics, no offense meant. Gnewt and 81 is the definition of old.

homefires

May 20, 2008
deming n.m.
Detector(s) used
Any thing Available within 50ft
I can't remember where I Seen it, but there's a fountain some place that was published. They pull like 100,000 out of it every year.

I don't think they would cotton to you tapping that bank! :icon_scratch:

MrBling

Aug 12, 2008
North Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI/Garrett Ace 250
I have seen news stories about people being arrested for taking fountain coins
Better check state/local laws and consider whether the fountain is public or private

OP
OP
vibes

vibes

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2007
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Aquanaut
gnewt,

Wow, I don't know what prompted your latest response. I meant no harm OR disrespect toward you, at all.
Sorry you find me and my posts offensive. That was NOT my intent.

I guess that goes to show ya that the internet can be a very dry, unemotional place to share as inflection doesn't come thru a post.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the 60s A buddy & I got caught "cleaning a fountain". As the years have gone by I think the masks snorkels & fins were a dead give away. The security called the cops & we ended up sitting at the cop shop until our parents picked us up. Same deal, they couldn't charge us, and the security guys didn't want to get off their butts to trespass us. Funny thing though.... Got home changed out of our trunks & we still had our coins in our pockets! Everyone forgot about them in the excitement of apprehending a couple Big time hard core fountain divers :D :D

gnewt

Jan 5, 2008
Tx/Al
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT/ White
No hard feelings , from some of the other posts it appeared my comments were offensive so I decided I would remove them.

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have gone to the mall with my small boys in the past, and I turn my head and they are picking the quarters, dimes and nickels out! I told them no, you can't do that, kind of embarrassed. I guess in this case though, it would be against the law since it is in the mall, and belongs to the mall. I don't know.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just tell them my boys mistook them for free samples ;D ;D ;D Hickory Farms is giving free samples of salami, thought the mall was giving free samples of quarters ;D ;D ;D

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman said:
I would just tell them my boys mistook them for free samples ;D ;D ;D Hickory Farms is giving free samples of salami, thought the mall was giving free samples of quarters ;D ;D ;D

I'm with Boogeyman on this one. I don't think I would get overly excited if my kids were grabbing coins from the fountain, although I highly doubt that they would give it a shot.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They have rules here about wading or swimming in the fountains...at least in the city. That would answer the question of fountain diving.
We learned of them back in the early 70's during some free concerts they used to have and we'd be feeling pretty good and decide to take a swim. Think they even have a sign for it.

Al

bradyboy

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2007
Clearwater, FL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all - people that throw in a coin are for wishes and prayers.
I personally wouldn't find my way to steal their wishes and prayers
Also, most importantly, most fountains collect the money and is donated for worthy local causes
food banks, homeless and so on
Brady Dawg

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a friend that works in a mall with a fountain and I once asked him about the coins in the fountain. He said it's a pain as sometimes the coins get tossed toward the drains and some coins get sucked it to the plumping. Repairs have to be made, etc. He said the maintance dept usually uses the coins for a party.

I wonder if they would object to us tossing a magnet in the fountain to fish out the Canadian coins? :wink:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread