Water hunt failure but dry dirt produces

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
So the usually hunts have transpired – an hour after dinner before it gets dark, an hour after work before I get too bitten by mosquitoes, etc.

First hunt I didn't even realize I found silver until I came home and washed off the coins. Doesn't look like silver but the date don't lie.

1947Rosie.jpg

Next hunt came from a familiar place that is on the way home from work. It's a good “fix” when you only have 30 minutes or so.

HitchcockPlace.jpg

Managed to find this 1907 V nickel. It was practically laying on the surface.
Vnickelfront.jpg

It's the fourth or fifth V nickel Nate and I have pulled from this area. Also found a merc on another after work hunt from the same area. The soil is very mineralized in this area so you have to use a small coil and go really slow.

The next hunt was the longest. It took me an hour to drive out to a popular beach out by the Lake Erie Islands.
EastHarbor-1.jpg

I got there around 10:30 am and as I am unloading my gear an older guy comes up to me and starts asking me questions. Asks if I have found anything good up here, etc. Tell him no, this is my first time but a buddy of mine found a nice gold ring in the spring here. Well turns out he is a retired local with and Excalibur who regulary hunts the place. Tells me that he has found more than 40 rings this year from this particular beach. And the kicker is that he tells me he has been hunting since 7 am this morning! :violent1: I'm glad he didn't find anything that day or I really would have been discouraged. Well he tried to tell me not to be discouraged by his report and I hunted anyway. Finds were what you might expect from a heavily hunted beach:
EastHarbor.jpg

The ring is a cheap aluminum ring. It was deep and sounded off good. Oh yeah, I was hunting with the White's Classic III SL. My Excal has been in the shop for the last month. Pretty bad service with Minelab. Whites rules in this department.

The biggest surprise came when I found out that the guy who hunts the water/beach won the lottery years back and is a Millionare!!! :o

Anyway, after three hours of hunting the water I said heck with it. I'm going dry dirt fishing! I knew a spot on the way home that I could get in a quick hour hunt. It was a one roomschoolhouse.
Schoolhousefoundation.jpg

I only found a few targets but one turned out to be coin. And there was no mistaking what it was: A Barber. ;D

Barberfront.jpg

It didn't really clean up that well:
Barberdimewhite.jpg

Another quick hunt at my moms didn't turn up much but a couple wheat pennies and an interesting button.

ClagueRdfinds.jpg

Weirdacornbutton.jpg

Weirdacornbuttonback.jpg

Last noteworthy find – a 10k gold chain busted up. My detector didn't pick it up but I saw it laying in the dry dirt. It's pretty thin but it's still gold. Gotta start somewhere.

Allthestuff-1.jpg

Keepersfront.jpg

Keepersback.jpg

Glad the cooler weather is here. Now if we can just get rid of those mosquitoes.
HH all.

Bob

Upvote 0

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice finds there Bob! Way to go on that Barber and gold chain. I enjoyed the photos too. :thumbsup:

Later,
Steve

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG you did WONDERFUL.. I would be beaming for a week I tell ya.. congrats to you :thumbsup:

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sorry to hear about the water hunt Bob....Over the year's the dry dirt fishing has been pretty good to you and Nate.Outside of the CW stuff that would be a killer day for me.Congrat's and HH!!

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey cleveland you did very well. Lots of coins there and the same year...

SKD

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bob,
What a variety Big Guy!!! :thumbsup: I can always depend on you rubbing those old coins in my face. :tongue3: ;D
Nice job as usual. Congrats. Sorry to hear about your machine in the shop. :(
Would you want to trade that Colt 45 cap for a CW 3-ringer? :tard:
Great post.
-Doug-

DD-777

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2007
Over the River and thru the Woods...
Detector(s) used
Team Tesoro
Colt 45 - as Billy Dee says, "works every time"..... ;D

Great finds Bob - lovin' the old coinage - and gold is gold, busted up or not... :thumbsup:

I'll make a better offer for a trade - your Colt 45 cap for two North Carolina wedding bands... :tongue3:

Attachments

• a7 copy (Small).jpg
    a7 copy (Small).jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 1,015

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. :thumbsup: I really like the button. Very interesting design.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Nice pics and finds, Bob! :thumbsup:

That barber is really oxidized, but I'd take it. ;D

It does get discouraging on the beach to know guys are hunting the heck out them. I don't care too much if they're on turf....I'm always finding keepers left behind.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That has to be the worst looking Barber coin , I have ever seen. Once again ........You found some nice finds. Keep on digging my friend........!

John

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Thanks all.

Colonial KirkPA said:
Nice digs, Bob! How is Dan doing? Is he finding the goodies?

Kirk

Dan is still finding goodies. We are planning a trip to the stagecoach stop (where he found his two half dimes) this weekend.

Mr.Jody said:
Nice finds there.That dime is the second oldest coin I ever found,just like your there.Whats it worth, any idea?

My barber dime in it's condition is only worth a few bucks at best. If it was in really nice shape it might bring as much as $10-15. It's a more common date. Some of the 1800's barber dimes are worth a lot more.

Goldiver said:
Some nice finds there Bob! Way to go on that Barber and gold chain. I enjoyed the photos too. :thumbsup:

Later,
Steve

Yeah, the one spot I am sure you recognize. Water hunting is pretty relaxing I must say. Next summer I'm going to get some of that loot before that Millionare does! :wink: ;D

civilman1 said:
Sorry to hear about the water hunt Bob....Over the year's the dry dirt fishing has been pretty good to you and Nate.Outside of the CW stuff that would be a killer day for me.Congrat's and HH!!

Joe,
I'm just learning this water hunting thing. I thought it would be a lot easier. I've had a lot more experience on dry land. Next year I think I'll do better with the water thing.

ModernMiner said:
Bob,
What a variety Big Guy!!! :thumbsup: I can always depend on you rubbing those old coins in my face. :tongue3: ;D
Nice job as usual. Congrats. Sorry to hear about your machine in the shop. :(
Would you want to trade that Colt 45 cap for a CW 3-ringer? :tard:
Great post.
-Doug-

Doug,
We don't have a lot of the really old stuff but there are plenty of coins up north. I think now that the weather is cooler you'll get out more and find some good coins.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
You got yourself some ugly coins there, Bob! But they're prettier than anything I've found in a while :wink:. It's nice, now that things have cooled and we've gotten some rain; we don't seem to have the mosquitos around too much.

mpostma

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2008
East Jordan, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac & Quattro
Great hunts! Great Photos!
Congrats on the Barber, she may not be pretty, but she is a silver barber! Any one of us would be more than happy to find her.

Thanks for posting the pics and the story!
HH
Mark

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread