Water hunt failure but dry dirt produces

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
So the usually hunts have transpired – an hour after dinner before it gets dark, an hour after work before I get too bitten by mosquitoes, etc.

First hunt I didn't even realize I found silver until I came home and washed off the coins. Doesn't look like silver but the date don't lie.

1947Rosie.jpg

Next hunt came from a familiar place that is on the way home from work. It's a good “fix” when you only have 30 minutes or so.

HitchcockPlace.jpg

Managed to find this 1907 V nickel. It was practically laying on the surface.
Vnickelfront.jpg

It's the fourth or fifth V nickel Nate and I have pulled from this area. Also found a merc on another after work hunt from the same area. The soil is very mineralized in this area so you have to use a small coil and go really slow.

The next hunt was the longest. It took me an hour to drive out to a popular beach out by the Lake Erie Islands.
EastHarbor-1.jpg

I got there around 10:30 am and as I am unloading my gear an older guy comes up to me and starts asking me questions. Asks if I have found anything good up here, etc. Tell him no, this is my first time but a buddy of mine found a nice gold ring in the spring here. Well turns out he is a retired local with and Excalibur who regulary hunts the place. Tells me that he has found more than 40 rings this year from this particular beach. And the kicker is that he tells me he has been hunting since 7 am this morning! :violent1: I'm glad he didn't find anything that day or I really would have been discouraged. Well he tried to tell me not to be discouraged by his report and I hunted anyway. Finds were what you might expect from a heavily hunted beach:
EastHarbor.jpg

The ring is a cheap aluminum ring. It was deep and sounded off good. Oh yeah, I was hunting with the White's Classic III SL. My Excal has been in the shop for the last month. Pretty bad service with Minelab. Whites rules in this department.

The biggest surprise came when I found out that the guy who hunts the water/beach won the lottery years back and is a Millionare!!! :o

Anyway, after three hours of hunting the water I said heck with it. I'm going dry dirt fishing! I knew a spot on the way home that I could get in a quick hour hunt. It was a one roomschoolhouse.
Schoolhousefoundation.jpg

I only found a few targets but one turned out to be coin. And there was no mistaking what it was: A Barber. ;D

Barberfront.jpg

It didn't really clean up that well:
Barberdimewhite.jpg

Another quick hunt at my moms didn't turn up much but a couple wheat pennies and an interesting button.

ClagueRdfinds.jpg

Weirdacornbutton.jpg

Weirdacornbuttonback.jpg

Last noteworthy find – a 10k gold chain busted up. My detector didn't pick it up but I saw it laying in the dry dirt. It's pretty thin but it's still gold. Gotta start somewhere.

Allthestuff-1.jpg

Keepersfront.jpg

Keepersback.jpg

Glad the cooler weather is here. Now if we can just get rid of those mosquitoes.
HH all.

Bob

Upvote 0

JerV3

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2005
Three Rivers
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac ,Xp Deus, Ctx 3030, Vanquish 440 X 2, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Nice sites Mirage,

Yes it's funny how you can find a 100 yr old coin on the surface. Then dig a 1960 penny at 6 inches at the same spot. I've made a living practically checking the surface. I find silver regularly on the surface. It doesn't get any easier than that. Problem is they hit like a can lid.

That dime is extra ugly. I'd tumble that back to new. Keep up the searches. Sites are getting thin any more. By the way loved the button you pulled. I'm intrigued more with relics than coins. I'm sure you know this from seeing me in the past.

HH Jer

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love that button! It's very unique. You guys have some great sites to hunt...love the way you captured the rays of light streaming through the trees. Fantastic finds as always and it was such a pleasure to meet up with you this evening!! The time went by too quicky though! :-\ Any time you visit the area again, give me a call.

Have a safe trip home.

Nana :)

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Wow Bob,a silver dime tri-fecta,a v-nickel and a wheatie...sweeet finds man!!!
Jerry

OP
OP
Mirage

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Thanks Dan, John, Dave, Henry, mpostma, Mike and Jerry. :icon_sunny:

JerDfx said:
Nice sites Mirage,

Yes it's funny how you can find a 100 yr old coin on the surface. Then dig a 1960 penny at 6 inches at the same spot. I've made a living practically checking the surface. I find silver regularly on the surface. It doesn't get any easier than that. Problem is they hit like a can lid.

That dime is extra ugly. I'd tumble that back to new. Keep up the searches. Sites are getting thin any more. By the way loved the button you pulled. I'm intrigued more with relics than coins. I'm sure you know this from seeing me in the past.

HH Jer

Jeremy, I have never tried tumbling silver. I think I'll give it a try. I know what you mean about the relics. Relics tell more of a story than the coins do.

Nana40 said:
I love that button! It's very unique. You guys have some great sites to hunt...love the way you captured the rays of light streaming through the trees. Fantastic finds as always and it was such a pleasure to meet up with you this evening!! The time went by too quicky though! :-\ Any time you visit the area again, give me a call.

Have a safe trip home.

Nana :)

Nana,
It was great to meet you in person. :) I enjoyed meeting your daughter, son-in-law and grandkids too. That Dakota is a smart, well mannered kid.

You have done very well with your finds. It's always impressive to see people's collections. I wish the lighting was better at the restaurant....but I'll probably be down again. Usually It's only for a day. But we will see.
Have fun at the Chisom Trail hunt!

Bob

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Bob. Great post from dry land as well as the water. Sometimes the coins clean up...and sometimes they don't. It doesn't matter though..cause we rescue them from the elements :thumbsup:

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Nice finds!! Looks like you worked hard for them! :thumbsup:

Looks like you'll have to set your alarm early at least once just to beat that beach hunter out there.... :)

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Some fun finds there. Proof that determination is the key!!!

Nice photos and photo effects as well.

Jim

RandyNorthridgeCa

Mar 27, 2005
Northridge, Calif.
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, F-75, SE, explorer 2 on beaches), CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's some real nice digs Mirage. I've been detecting since 1999 and I've only found one V nickel and it's in pretty bad shape. Outstanding finds!

Redfoot

Jul 12, 2006
Nashville, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT and Ace 250
nice finds to bad about the beach being hunted so much, but you never know what you will find unless you go and try it. HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread