Well it finally happened - I FOUND A GOLD RING!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past Saturday I hit a new permission that I hoped might have some late 18[SUP]th[/SUP] / early 19[SUP]th [/SUP]relics and coins, which is my main area of interest. The spot is in close proximity with some other early structures. At the very least I was hoping for some 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century silver. I ended up digging 23 coins, 21 of which were wheat back pennies dated 1944 or earlier, including three dated 1930. But no silver coins turned up. The only early relic is the oval piece with two holes. These frequently turn up on late 18[SUP]th[/SUP] / early 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century sites. There are still lots of signals, and I will go back when I get a chance.

Although I didn’t find any silver, I did find GOLD!! I bought my first metal detector in 1985, and it took this long to find a gold ring. I admit that I have never hunted on a beach and I have never hunted in a park. Most of my hunting has been on sites dating to the Civil War and earlier, so that partially explains why I had never found a gold ring. It’s not a big hunk of gold at 2 grams, but I love it.

Ring.jpg

I also dug a neat aluminum token that is a cool piece of local history. It reads”Darr & Hegan, Laughlintown, PA” on one side and “Good for 10 cents in Merchandise” on the other. Darr & Hegan sold their store in 1911. This token generated a lot of interest in the local hometown Facebook page even though it is pretty rough, as aluminum deteriorates pretty bad when it is in contact with iron and other typical ground trash.

Token 1.JPG Token 2.JPG

Here is the total take for a few hours on this property. I included a .925 silver ring I found next to my car in the supermarket parking lot last night. I may have ran over it when I pulled into the parking spot :laughing7:

5-5-18 All Clean.JPG

Upvote 51
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe it or not 1940s or 50s, J.R Wood and Sons did the work for Artcarved at that time... Here is something you might enjoy https://www.etsy.com/listing/570955...d4b557869f462f1ef6741954922316373ed:570955521
Thanks. That looks just like mine. 1940s or 50s makes sense based on all the 1940s wheat pennies I found. I also found this on the internet. Supposedly came from the 60 year old stock of a retired jeweler.
122830-799471dc35a24847d6aeac232d450079[1].jpg

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Steve! It rarely happens for field hunters to stumble over a gold ring. You're lucky yours is in perfect condition!

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations Steve, on your first gold ring! It is really a beautiful find. :headbang::hello2::icon_thumright::occasion14:

Maybe someday I'll find a Spanish Real. 40+ years of swinging so far! :skullflag:

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
A beauty.Congrats. side note: I had a police officer looking over my shoulder on my first gold ring. He thought it was cool. I'm glad.

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first one is the hardest. Congratulations! Good eye on the parking lot 925 as well.
I just might go ring hunting once in a while :laughing7:
Congratualtions on the first Gold Ring...may your coil find many more! :occasion14:
It was a team effort between me an my coil :laughing7:

That's a nice ring for the 1st or 101st ! What is all the writing inside it say ? And last but not least, very good photography skills, it looks a lot bigger than 2gr.
Now that it has been pointed out to me, it has a sideways W for Woods and the it says Artcarved.

that ring is great! Looks like an old style! Congrats on your first, hopefully it wont take as long for your next!
Looks like it is vintage 1940s/50s which is pretty cool

Congrats Steve! Great ring and other finds
Thanks John :thumbsup:
My Congratulations to ya Steve :occasion14: Couldn't happen to a better person!!
Thanks buddy :thumbsup: Haven't seen you posting in a while, plus I gave up the DIV hunts.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow you pulled a lot of wheat pennies. Surprised that there were no silver dimes or a silver quarter mixed in. The token is very cool and has great history, but the gold ring is special. You are now no longer a "Collector", with the gold you are officially a "Treasure Hunter". Congrats on your new title!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow you pulled a lot of wheat pennies. Surprised that there were no silver dimes or a silver quarter mixed in. The token is very cool and has great history, but the gold ring is special. You are now no longer a "Collector", with the gold you are officially a "Treasure Hunter". Congrats on your new title!
I believe silver also counts as treasure, so I have been a treasure hunter since I found that 1946 Rosie 33 years ago!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good job. I can certainly relate. I have items in collection dates 196 when I found them. Got my first detector in the 80's also and didn't find my first gold till a few years ago.

Aug 5, 2015
Detector(s) used
Entry level POS that I found in the thickets along a river.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A brass bristle brush will work on aluminum tokens. Give it a good scrub, and the brass bristles will remove the corrosion while making any remaining detail much more legible. I have at least one hundred trade tokens including some real hot stuff from old mining towns, and I use this technique with good success. I know cleaning/restoration of finds can be a touchy subject, but the aluminum tokens need it and benefit from proper treatment.

And congrats on your golden ring!

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first gold ring, and the little silver beauty!
Nice bunch of wheats too.

Just goes to show ya, you can find almost anything, any where!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A brass bristle brush will work on aluminum tokens. Give it a good scrub, and the brass bristles will remove the corrosion while making any remaining detail much more legible. I have at least one hundred trade tokens including some real hot stuff from old mining towns, and I use this technique with good success. I know cleaning/restoration of finds can be a touchy subject, but the aluminum tokens need it and benefit from proper treatment.

And congrats on your golden ring!
Thanks for the tip. I'll try it sometime but not on this one. It already has a hole rotted through it and I'm afraid any pressure might cause that edge of the token to break off.

billpa

Sep 12, 2010
Out Diggin Silver
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO,DFX DX-1, CLASSIC 111, Garrett pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet Gold ring you dug there Steve.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the gold Steve!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome digs Steve, hard to believe it took you so long to dig some gold. She's a beauty, now that you dug your 1st they should come more frequently from now on.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first gold ring Steve. I like that "eyeball" ring find also. I must say though, I like the token the best.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Steve. Makes you feel real good. Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread