Well it finally happened - I FOUND A GOLD RING!!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This past Saturday I hit a new permission that I hoped might have some late 18[SUP]th[/SUP] / early 19[SUP]th [/SUP]relics and coins, which is my main area of interest. The spot is in close proximity with some other early structures. At the very least I was hoping for some 20[SUP]th[/SUP] century silver. I ended up digging 23 coins, 21 of which were wheat back pennies dated 1944 or earlier, including three dated 1930. But no silver coins turned up. The only early relic is the oval piece with two holes. These frequently turn up on late 18[SUP]th[/SUP] / early 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century sites. There are still lots of signals, and I will go back when I get a chance.

Although I didn’t find any silver, I did find GOLD!! I bought my first metal detector in 1985, and it took this long to find a gold ring. I admit that I have never hunted on a beach and I have never hunted in a park. Most of my hunting has been on sites dating to the Civil War and earlier, so that partially explains why I had never found a gold ring. It’s not a big hunk of gold at 2 grams, but I love it.

Ring.jpg

I also dug a neat aluminum token that is a cool piece of local history. It reads”Darr & Hegan, Laughlintown, PA” on one side and “Good for 10 cents in Merchandise” on the other. Darr & Hegan sold their store in 1911. This token generated a lot of interest in the local hometown Facebook page even though it is pretty rough, as aluminum deteriorates pretty bad when it is in contact with iron and other typical ground trash.

Token 1.JPG Token 2.JPG

Here is the total take for a few hours on this property. I included a .925 silver ring I found next to my car in the supermarket parking lot last night. I may have ran over it when I pulled into the parking spot :laughing7:

5-5-18 All Clean.JPG

Upvote 51
OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first Gold
Thanks. It was nice to finally dig a gold ring, but I would rather be digging the trade items you find!

Congratulations on your first gold. Now that you've broken the ice maybe a posey ring is in your future
An 18th century gold Posey ring has a nice ring to it :laughing7:

Congrats on the GOLD Steve! That is an awesome hunt!
Thank you Doc!

Congrats Steve! It rarely happens for field hunters to stumble over a gold ring. You're lucky yours is in perfect condition!
Parks and beaches are most are found. I happened to be in a yard where I hoped an early house once stood based on the location.
Congratulations Steve, on your first gold ring! It is really a beautiful find. :headbang::hello2::icon_thumright::occasion14:

Maybe someday I'll find a Spanish Real. 40+ years of swinging so far! :skullflag:
Thanks Terry! You live in New York so the odds of finding Spanish silver are in your favor.

A beauty.Congrats. side note: I had a police officer looking over my shoulder on my first gold ring. He thought it was cool. I'm glad.
Thanks.

Police use metal detectors in crime scene investigations and a lot of them end up getting into the hobby.
Who says no to a uniformed police officer asking for permission :laughing7:

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like you, my specialty is older sites and I found my first gold ring this year too. It's up on the banner now. lol
Thanks. Rings like the one you found don't come around very often. Congrats again.

Great job man!! You'll remember that one forever.
At least for the rest of my life :laughing7:

Good job. I can certainly relate. I have items in collection dates 196 when I found them. Got my first detector in the 80's also and didn't find my first gold till a few years ago.
Thanks. You seem to have opened the gold floodgates lately :thumbsup:

Congrats on your first gold ring, and the little silver beauty!
Nice bunch of wheats too.

Just goes to show ya, you can find almost anything, any where!

Sent from my VS810PP using Tapatalk
Thanks. I always have my eyes scanning the ground. You won't find anything scanning the clouds :tongue3:

Sweet Gold ring you dug there Steve.
Thanks Bill

Congrats on the gold Steve!
Thanks buddy

GOLD there is so substitute. Congratulations
It is at the top of the treasure food chain :laughing7:

Awesome digs Steve, hard to believe it took you so long to dig some gold. She's a beauty, now that you dug your 1st they should come more frequently from now on.
I hope you're right Loco!

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing better than finding silver and gold! Congratulations on the ring. It's a beauty!:occasion14:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice gold!!! Congrats on the digs!!!!:occasion14:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
the 1st gold ring was almost like a relief to me. finally broke the gold ring ice! congrats and what a beautiful one to be your first. Very glad for you Steve, bet you already have a very special place for that ring. May not be your normal "relic" and yet it is a relic and a very cool one at that. And how do you begin to describe your surprise at realizing what you had finally found? The huge smile said it all!

OP
OP
Steve in PA

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first gold ring Steve. I like that "eyeball" ring find also. I must say though, I like the token the best.
Thanks, the token is a real treasure coming from a landmark general store that no one ever knew issued tokens. I could see the abandoned store from where I dug the token.

Nice find Steve. Makes you feel real good. Congrats!
I think it was my comment on your post that was the charm!

Nothing better than finding silver and gold! Congratulations on the ring. It's a beauty!:occasion14:
Thanks Ammoman!

Nice ring! [emoji2][emoji106]
Thanks Kiddo
Nice gold!!! Congrats on the digs!!!!:occasion14:
Thank you!

the 1st gold ring was almost like a relief to me. finally broke the gold ring ice! congrats and what a beautiful one to be your first. Very glad for you Steve, bet you already have a very special place for that ring. May not be your normal "relic" and yet it is a relic and a very cool one at that. And how do you begin to describe your surprise at realizing what you had finally found? The huge smile said it all!
It is a nice vintage ring and I'm very happy with it. I admit that when I first saw it in the hole I thought it was one of those gold tinted pull tab rings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread