Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My experience in the bank today.
I'm sure many of you CRH's have heard this one before,but when it happens to you, it is by far a more terrible,terrible feeling.Here goes-
First a little history-This is my regular branch that I do my weekly banking at.I have ordered boxes here before.I have also turned them in here before.The particular teller in question is a no personality,no looks,no life,homely looking slouch that never cracks a smile for fear it may break her ugly face.She has given me problems in the past. On with the story-

For a brief moment I thought,wow this is great!!
I was at the bank today depositing some cash and I glanced in the coin tray and saw ole Ben Franklin staring back at me with a gleam in his eye! Yeah that's right, there was about a half roll of halves in the coin tray and the top one was a 1953 Franklin.I played it cool and nonchalant.Made my deposit and asked for a balance just for GP's sake.Then as I prepared to turn and leave I said, Can I buy those halves you have there? Well this bit%# looks at me and says,"Oh these are already sold," as she took them out of the tray and showed them to me,They were all Franklins!!!,then she put them back in the tray! I was flabbergasted to say the least! I stared back at her in utter amazement and i'm sure the expression on my face was that of a man possessed,I said to her, What do you mean they're already sold? She replied back with a big sh#*eating grin on her repulsive looking face,"Yes,I bought those,I just haven't removed them yet." By now my blood pressure had risen to the point of which I was ready to pop a main vain.So instead of causing a great big scene, which if you know me,I very easily could have and should have done, I chose to swallow my pride and "act" with a bit of human decency.
By now our conversation had got the attention of the other 2 tellers and a couple of customers standing in line. I took a deep breath and exhaled very slowly as to bring my blood pressure down a notch or two. I calmy stated, If they are already sold then they shoudn't be sitting in plain view of the customers,are you trying to tease me or something,is this how you get your kicks? Since you obviously want those few for yourself get them out of the tray,that tray is for customers,it's not your personal coin collection. Now, while we're at it,I want to go ahead and order two boxes of halves, since I can't have those. Her eyes kinda popped out of her ghostly sockets momentarily and she said,"two boxes?" Yes I replied, two $500 boxes,that equals one thousand,is there a problem with that? She answered with, "No,uh no no problem,they,they won't be here until next Thursday though because we order coin on Mondays." I said, yes I know that,thats the story of my life, a day late and a dollar short.Then I turned and proceeded to exit the bank,as I did I offered her some advice (my fuse was now lit),I said to her,"For future reference, if you have coin in the box in front of me and I ask to buy it from you and you don't sell it to me,I will be demanding the Bank Manager and I will make one hell of a scene until you do.What you did here today is highly unethical and i'm sure it is against Bank procedures and I advise you not to try it again,have a nice day ma'am.
So here I am, 8 long days to wait for my 2 boxes to show up, as Ben was staring at me in the bank today! I'll post my results when I get them next week! ::) :)

Upvote 0

schramm

Dec 25, 2006
Hi Diggumup,sorry to read about your horrible experience today,which seems to be happening with a lot more frequency lately.

I had a similar yet even worse experience back on jan 10th,in the post titled: only thing worse than a silverless box...,I tried to go back to that bank to dump some of my rejects,and it worked a few times,but now they will charge me to bring any back there,I was careful to not go there when that particular teller was there but I think somehow she found out and that's why the "nice" tellers had to charge me,my theory anyway.

I just hope when you go back there thursday to pick up your boxes that they don't try to pull what my bank did to me on monday,saying they would charge me $5 per box I picked up and only if I paid for the previous boxes they had "mistakenly" ordered for me before,because as the MANAGER told me,no one gets coin for free they ALL pay a fee,every business,which I simply don't believe,but have been unable to prove otherwise yet.

I was supposed to be picking up my boxes tomorrow but now I don't have any coming in and can't yet find a bank to order them for me without a fee!

Good luck...schramm...

tw656

Jan 13, 2007
wow, that is a bizarre story. The teller most have know that sitting them out like that in plain few would invite trouble. Where I live there are a ton of collectors, and you let her off light! Maybe talking to the manager would have got you the coins. It reminds me a few months ago, when I stopped at a bank Id never been before and asked for some halves. The older asian woman pulled out a roll and some loose ones. It was clear to me these were ALL silver. She proceeds to poor the coins out of the roll and then looks at each coin very carfully and proceeds to pile them up by type. Walkers, Franklins and Kennedies. I was convinced she would pull something with the care and detailed observation of each coin. Then...... she sold them to me. It wasnt till I was out in the car that I realized, she was studing them closely because of her bad eye sight and wanted to be sure they were really half dollars as she was unfamilar with them. Ive been back to that bank many times, never got halves again and never saw the sweet ole blind lady either.

Searcher

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
schramm said:
Hi Diggumup,sorry to read about your horrible experience today,which seems to be happening with a lot more frequency lately.

I had a similar yet even worse experience back on jan 10th,in the post titled: only thing worse than a silverless box...,I tried to go back to that bank to dump some of my rejects,and it worked a few times,but now they will charge me to bring any back there,I was careful to not go there when that particular teller was there but I think somehow she found out and that's why the "nice" tellers had to charge me,my theory anyway.

I just hope when you go back there thursday to pick up your boxes that they don't try to pull what my bank did to me on monday,saying they would charge me $5 per box I picked up and only if I paid for the previous boxes they had "mistakenly" ordered for me before,because as the MANAGER told me,no one gets coin for free they ALL pay a fee,every business,which I simply don't believe,but have been unable to prove otherwise yet.

I was supposed to be picking up my boxes tomorrow but now I don't have any coming in and can't yet find a bank to order them for me without a fee!

Good luck...schramm...
I replied to your post last month.I should've listened to my own advice ;D.I think I'm gonna shoot an email to the district manager in Miami,see what they think of her actions.I've never been charged for boxes of coin.I've never heard of that.I can understand if you don't have an account there but if you do then somethings wrong with that picture. :o

scotto

Bronze Member
Dec 23, 2006
My first M/D find
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
What a witch. She could have been nice and split them w/you. I would have asked to see the manager, she might have cracked then. >:(

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
One of the branches of a local bank I have an account with tried to charge me $8 for a box of pennies because, "That's what we charge the merchants." Doubtful...

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
Sorry about your exasperating experience - I can certainly empathize. Your tale was extremely well-written and a pleasure to read. Take solace in that, if you can.

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
I think you used very good restraint... I commend you

I might have said or did something to get arrested..... :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread