Went back to shell/root island with possum!!

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well guys I pulled out a 1840 Seated Liberty half dime, Burnside bullet, 1903 V nickel and 2 General Service Buttons out of this only small high ground in this swamp, but the last 3 hunts have been a living hell. The ground is 40% white shells, 40% woven roots and 20% soil but I got some ornate thin brass and lead pieces. Thanks for looking I’m going to bed :)) IMG_2174.jpg IMG_2175.jpg IMG_2176.jpg IMG_2177.jpg IMG_2178.jpg IMG_2179.jpg IMG_2180.jpg

Upvote 25

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Nice that you got out...Sleep well young TRUTH....lol

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Night brother, had a great time today, thanks for the invite and congrats on your finds!!! "D"

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful ornate piece. That small island of hell must have looked a lot different 150 years ago. Had to have been at least one residence in that part of the swamp, or maybe there wasn't much of a swamp there than.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds Truth and congrats! You really work hard for your' finds. I remember that you wrote that there were graves on the island that were relocated. Who was buried there and relocated? If some folks other than Native Americans were buried there and moved, it is likely that there are still Native Americans buried there. In coastal areas with not a lot of dry and usable land to bury their dead, Native Americans would bury their dead in Shell Mounds. Some Shell Mounds are just Midden Mounds of discarded shells of the mollusks, other sea creatures and even bones and more that they ate. However, many times, Shell Mounds in swampy areas, coastal wetlands and coastal areas below sea level are actually burial sites for Native Americans.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds Truth and congrats! You really work hard for your' finds. I remember that you wrote that there were graves on the island that were relocated. Who was buried there and relocated? If some folks other than Native Americans were buried there and moved, it is likely that there are still Native Americans buried there. In coastal areas with not a lot of dry and usable land to bury their dead, Native Americans would bury their dead in Shell Mounds. Some Shell Mounds are just Midden Mounds of discarded shells of the mollusks, other sea creatures and even bones and more that they ate. However, many times, Shell Mounds in swampy areas, coastal wetlands and coastal areas below sea level are actually burial sites for Native Americans.

You’re exactly right. LSU did a archaeological dig around a mile away from this spot. Lots of Native American action around these parts.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Beautiful ornate piece. That small island of hell must have looked a lot different 150 years ago. Had to have been at least one residence in that part of the swamp, or maybe there wasn't much of a swamp there than.

ECMO,

Truth would know better than I, but from our understanding there was an entire German community (settlement) along the tracks with a train stopping for mail, if memory serves me right. This settlement also had a cemetery which the rail road, after buying up the remaining land and settlement that was left from the lakes ingress which help with the development of the surrounding swamp / marsh area was exhumed and relocated, or so they say. So to answer your question where the lake is currently was probably high and dry back during the time of the settlement...

"D"

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
ECMO,

Truth would know better than I, but from our understanding there was an entire German community (settlement) along the tracks with a train stopping for mail, if memory serves me right. This settlement also had a cemetery which the rail road, after buying up the remaining land and settlement that was left from the lakes ingress which help with the development of the surrounding swamp / marsh area was exhumed and relocated, or so they say. So to answer your question where the lake is currently was probably high and dry back during the time of the settlement...

"D"

While it is quite possible there were some German or other settlers buried on that little high spot, it is quite possible that it was originally a Native American burial site due to the high spot being made up of primarily shells and now grown up brush, bushes, trees, etc., etc.. Don't be surprised if you find some Native American's bones and artifacts if you dig down quite a bit deeper at the location. Also, there could have been some precious metals and other items buried with the Native Americans. On Stock Island just across the channel from Key West, there is a Native American Shell Midden burial site. A friend found half of a round disk there that was made from Silver taken from the Spanish or Pirates that landed or shipwrecked nearby. We went there once to check out a signal under the roots of a tree only to find that a treasure chest had been excavated from under the roots. You could still see the almost square imprint left where someone pulled it out.

Last edited:

Ia.FurTrade

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2008
Southeast Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ECMO,

Truth would know better than I, but from our understanding there was an entire German community (settlement) along the tracks with a train stopping for mail, if memory serves me right. This settlement also had a cemetery which the rail road, after buying up the remaining land and settlement that was left from the lakes ingress which help with the development of the surrounding swamp / marsh area was exhumed and relocated, or so they say. So to answer your question where the lake is currently was probably high and dry back during the time of the settlement.

To my eyes' those pieces look like casket hardware.....(I thought this before I read your post!) I've worked before locating burials in pioneer cemetery's with unmarked graves and found similar pieces. (Did this for county cemetery boards.)
Nice finds!

Iowa Dale

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
ECMO,

Truth would know better than I, but from our understanding there was an entire German community (settlement) along the tracks with a train stopping for mail, if memory serves me right. This settlement also had a cemetery which the rail road, after buying up the remaining land and settlement that was left from the lakes ingress which help with the development of the surrounding swamp / marsh area was exhumed and relocated, or so they say. So to answer your question where the lake is currently was probably high and dry back during the time of the settlement.

To my eyes' those pieces look like casket hardware.....(I thought this before I read your post!) I've worked before locating burials in pioneer cemetery's with unmarked graves and found similar pieces. (Did this for county cemetery boards.)
Nice finds!

Iowa Dale

I appreciate that Iowa. Possum found a ornate handle I’m gonna have him put up a pic and tell me if you think it might be from a casket?

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20190307_175504.jpg

Here's the ornate handle I found at the shell midden... "D"

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi , Would a casket have an adjustable handle ? Would make lifting the casket awkward . I think the handle is off a 1800's luggage trunk . TP

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds, congrats! :occasion14:

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice hunt. Some nice finds.

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Truth. You and Possum are finding some nice relics and coins lately.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread