Went looking for detectors today!...need your opinion.....

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after getting all the support you guys doled out for me and my wheatie, Charlie and I went shopping around for detectors today!!! Thanks? ;D

I need your opinion.....
We found a Whites QXT Pro that is two years old for $350...It was traded in and the warranty has expired.....So do you think this is a smart buy, or should we go ahead and spent the extra $300 and get the new one? OR......should we look at another line???

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Thanks!

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Nana? ;)

Upvote 0
F

Floater

Nana, A lot depends on your type of hunting and what your going to do. The other consideration is, and forgive me here but I dont remeber which detector you use, but you may want to consider a detector that will go into the water. In any case I would not buy the same detector as you are using now. Keep it varied like your love life. ;D HH

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Warranties are nice but not the most important item to look for. Am assuming it's a private individual and not a dealer. Kick the tires per se and check it out thouroughly. See if they'll let you take it out in the field for a test drive. Also you might check this site out.http://metaldetectorreviews.net/
Best of luck and hope you both have a great time together. stoney56

morris

Jun 8, 2005
Arlington Texas
The Whites QXT Pro only two years old i would go for that. before i jumped in to buy a new one there are some people out there that just dont care for MDing I've hunted water for the last 22 yrs and just now started going to the land for DMing so i got a used Whites IDX Classic SL for $250.00
and this system is way over two years old they always have a great resale if you need to upgrade it.
good luck
Morris

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
White's have a great reputation and make very good machines,unfortunately the QXT does not share this rep for all around md'ing.I would keep looking and asking!

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
I may be off base here as I am not familiar with earlier posts or threads that might have been posted. So, I don't know if the writer has posted other information in the past. Also, I am, pretty, new to Metal Detecting and will admit that I am not that knowlegable. However, here is what I have and my impressions.

I would agree, first of all, that it probably depends on what you are looking for, in respect to types of treasure or finds, and where you tend to hunt. I bought my detector about 3 to 5 years ago, I can't remember exactly as I didn't get a lot of use out of it right off. My birthday was coming up, I was a little depressed, lonely and bored and looking for something to do to occupy my time and interests. Also, my parents were starting to have some difficulties and I learned that I was going to have to go to Florida with them for a Month at the end of October, to help them get around and all. Thinking ahead of the trip and the beautiful white sand beaches on the gulf, I thought I would try some metal detecting. I had a simple detector when in High School and tried to find that to see if it would still work. It was some sort of Jetco thing or something like that, if I remember the name right. Had two knobs on it and a meter and worked off of a simple 9v battery. Last I had known it wasn't working but I had thought, if I could find it, I might be able to look for a break in the circut board or wires and fix it. Over 30 years, the garage had been cleaned a few times and the detector was nowhere to be found. I guess it got pitched into a dumpster. Anyways, I did a little reading and since I had some money I could spend, went with one of the better ones that I had been reading about. I have always been, sort of, a tecno-geek so I was attracted, without knowing anything about detecting or of what I was doing, to the Whites XLT since it had the cool display and features where it could identify items and detect the depth. I found a local dealer, some guy in Chicago that seemed to do a lot of work on industrial metal detectors. He had rows of the things that water departments or the utilities used to find wires and pipes. He was also a Whites dealer. Anyways, I talked a little to him and bought the XLT new.

I got a Pelican 1550 case and packed all the parts in it and went off to FLA to see what I could find. I only got out about 2 times and found a few pull tabs, some foil and other garbage and about 80 cents in assorted coin before I had to head back up north. Figuring I would be going back with the parents in March or April, I just left the machine down in Florida where it sat for almost 2 years before, due to health problems with the parents, I didn't get back and it just sat. When we got back down there, I opened it up, and turned it on and it powered right up. I never did really use the rechargable batteries. I used Energizer disposable Lithium AAs. They have an increadable shelf life and I am still on the original set of those. Probably, largely, because of the little use I have actually gotten out of the detector.

Back to the story, I got back down to Florida and got out on the beach a couple more times. Being the beginning of the busy season, I, again, didn't find much. When time to go home, I decided that, just in case I didn't get back down again, I would ship it back. I put it in the Pelican and put it in a box and shipped it FedX, Maybe it was UPS. Good thing as I haven't gotten back down to FLA since. Almost 2 years now. Anyways, I put the XLT back together last summer and, except for going to the volleyball pit and tot lot at our local beach a couple times, didn't get out to use it much.

This year, being more determined, I have been out before Memorial Day and all the crowds. Also before I would have to fork over big money for parking permits at the beaches. I got out about 4 or 5 times and have been having a great time. I now look forward to getting out more. Maybe even getting my Girlfriend to go for some beach walks with me. I read some of the reviews about the XLT in the link listed above but have to disagree about it being a difficult machine. It has a lot of potential for custom settings and power to grow into but the basics are pretty simple. It also has many if the instructions, or operations and shortcuts printed right on the control unit. Along with a scale of the ID numbers for common items and what the numbers may correspond to. I quick read of the first few pages of the manual yielded me all the info to get started. While the identification is only a guide and not completely accurate, I do often find what it says but also find other things like pull tabs, bottle caps and foil. I do find the depth reading to be pretty accurate. Usually if it says 1.5" it is within a quick scoop of the surface sand. Incidentally, to this point, I have only used it in sand. There are a few basic settings that I have used. Jewelry Beach, Coin and Jewelry and Relic. There are others and the difficulty might be when making up custom programs. I started with the beach and jewelry settings but recently went out with it set to Relic. I have always found a bunch of stuff. Mostly I have been searching the beaches and play lots where there is loose sand and I don't have to worry about digging in grass and damaging the turf etc. My best find is a 14k White gold ring with channel set diamonds. A few stones missing. I have also found an IKEA spoon and a small stamped item that I don't know yet what it is. It looks like it could be tin or sterling. It seems hard and not too bendable so I don't really know. Here are a few pictures of the items that I have found. Non metalic items and rocks were simply found near by or while digging. As I said, above, I don't find it that difficult to use. There might be a little learning curve to get the most out of it but, at least for parks and beaches and play lots.... it has seemed to be a great machine.

One thing of warning though. I don't know if the issue was ever addressed but I do remember mention that people were frying out their XLTs on the beach. While it can be used in water, there was an issue of raising the wet coil above the control unit. Water that would collect in the shaft between the coil and the control unit was being dumped through the mounting holes for the screws, into the electronics. I seem to recall some mention of putting some sort of block, either a cork or plug of some sort, between the top piece of the shaft and the control unit, to prevent water from being directed into the control unit. Or, make sure you always keep your coil down.

I apologize for the length of this. Hopefully it will be of some value though.

050516-UpperGilson-640.jpg

050517-LowerGilson-640.jpg

050521-UpperGilson-640.jpg

050523-LowerGilson-640.jpg

050525-Elder-640.jpg

Items located with XLT set to RELIC

050525-Elder-Stamping-640.jpg

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...thanks for your replies! It will probly end up being mine....I just don't think he has the patience to do this.....But I'm trying really hard to get him interested.... And if he doesn't then I'll have another one! I don't look for anything specific...just don't care to dig anymore bullets or nails! :D
You all are very helpful!
Thanks !

Nana ;)

wmas1960

May 17, 2005
Chicagoland
OH, while thinking a little since I posted my last reply, I think it might have been the Whites ads on TV that had sparked a renewed interest in me. The one where the guy holds up the ring or something like that. Is that ad about 5 years old? People talking about getting out and getting some exercise and all. The detector that was being pitched, or modeled in the ad, I think, was the XLT. I ordered the catalog based on the ad and started the reading into all the models and features and all. That may be what pointed me toward my ultimate choice. During my online reading I was reinforced that Whites was a good brand and the "Techno-Geek", in me kept urging me toward the XLT, It just seemed so cool. Now, I realize that may not mean much to someone looking for more real reasons to buy a detector. Just wanted to throw it in though. Especially since my detector seems to be doing me pretty good right now. It was amazing the differences in what I was finding when I changed from the Coin and Jewelry mode to Relic. With less discrimination, I was getting hits on a lot more. In your case, something with different modes can allow you to be more discriminative and skip over the "Bullets and Nails" Never found a bullet but, as you can see above, a lot of shards of metal, beer cans, nails, wires, pull tabs.... But then, just getting started, I dig anything that beeps. Of course, I will know more of how good my detector is when I get out on hard land a little more. Haven't had the right tools to do much hard digging. So, I got a nice sand scoop and stuck to the beaches and sand lots.

Right after I got my detector, I did test it in my back yard. I did find a part of one of my old Corgi cars, from when I was a kid, and a coin or two, some nails from when they built the addition on our house when I was about 8. Nothing special though. Now that I got my Lesche Preditor the other day, I would search the yard a little more if not for the land mines left by my little friend Misty. I know of a couple sites of old train stations along an abandoned RR freight line. It used to be an Inter-Urban Commuter line till, I think the early 60s. I might try and search those sites. One of them looks pretty overgrown. Don't know what nasty stuff could be growning (burrs etc.) in there though. Trying to find some time and courage.

caratjuice

Oct 15, 2004
Washington State
I own a QXT Pro, and used it for 6 months before I got my DFX. I found some nice gold rings with it. It seems well suited for gold finds. It's a simple machine to operate and that price seems reasonable. If you get it I can give you some tips on it. The DFX is a nicer rig, but of course the price is higher, but it hasn't found gold yet.

johny mc.

May 18, 2005
Nana- I sell detectors, use detectors extensively and actually listen to my fellow thick-neckers who hunt. I am an active participant in most of the good forums (though some are too cliquey), so I have a pretty good feel for where to steer you- at least with Whites.....without having to mail you rope for the noose....a quick list in order of my favs:
1. mxt- will go pretty deep, good value, ground balance feature is big plus, finds relics like a champ, can be used at beach, light.
2. idx pro- dollar for dollar best detector made..light, very quick rebound, accurate, simple, will go deep.
3. XLT- sings like the fat lady, if you have the ears to use the multiple tones and have deep pockets go here, 90 per cent of users "love their xlt's"- fairly simple to use , though can get more sophisticated as you go, not remendously deep but deep enough. finds good stuff because its accurate.
4. DfX- if you are an electrical engineer or Foster this is the bomb, a little too much tweeking for my taste to run this one at max capabilty. Can go deep, finds stuff cause its accurate. Every now and then a dud comes out where you play ups hot potato.
5. Any of the old classic threes- great value.
If you like to hunt relics the vets swear by the Blue and GRay, though they are out of production you can still get one used.....other than these you are rolling the dice....the analog detectors have their fans but getting more obsolete.

Several other good detectors in no special order: minelab explorer, sov elite, advantage, garrett250(entry level), Fisher CZ70 pro, Shadow 3 or 5 by Troy,.....................
Because I'm a mostly local dealer I recommend if you have someone locally, use them: keeps the money flowing in your neighborhoods, quicker service, better knowledge of local conditions, sites, promotion of sport, etc. If you don't have a local dealer there are plenty of us who have stores and sell through the internet and
can give you the stuff you need......if I can give my money to the smaller guy I will........that's my own opinion...you spend your money where you see fit.... if you have any questions feel good about e-mailing me.

aloha- johny mc.

www.theadventurelodge.com

OP
OP
Nana40

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everybody!!! I think I am going to go with the MXT.....I don't know......I'm so confused! :D But....I think that may be the one I go with......

Thanks for all the help!!!!!

Nana ;)

R

rvbvetter

Nana; The nails will be easy to get rid of, but the bullets will be difficult. Many bullets show in the coin range. It'll help though if you do like me. I stopped hunting at the aluminum recycling center, and it greatly reduced my pull tab finds. Stop hunting the gun ranges and your bullet count should drop off. Good luck with your new detector. HH

Charles

May 23, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Stingray II, AT Pro and Surfmaster II.
Hi Nana, You could write QXT , MXT and XLT on 3 pieces of paper. Put them in a hat and draw one out without being disappointed with your choice. The QXT is allot like the XLT, the display is smaller like the original Whites Spectrum which never was a problem for me. The QXT does not have some of the more advanced adjustments of the XLT model but I doubt you would ever use them anyhow. The MXT uses knobs instead of being controlled through a menu driven software and buttons. It is designed to be 3 detectors in one. It has a Coin Jewelery Mode, Gold prospecting Mode and a Relic Mode. The MXT's strong point is being able to handle Mineralized ground better the the QXT and XLT and some people like the knobs versus a computer menu.
Sounds like you visited a local dealer. Does he have a test garden where you can try the detectors, you might notice something you like or dislike by trying a few different models.
As far as buying new versus used. I would say new if it was a lifetime warranty and you planned on keeping it for a long time. I don't think I would pay an extra $300.00 for a 2 year warranty.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love my Garrett GTI 2500 Pro for all around detecting. And it goes deeper than I care to dig. Can't let you White's guys get all the glory! JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread