Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well guys she’s a little chilly but it’s my fourth Indian I’ve gotten in three years of metal detecting and it’s the greenest one. It’s my second 1800s. Any suggestions on how to get that tumor off of her face she looks like elephant man. Poor thing. IMG_1734.JPG IMG_1735.JPG

Great day for me I’m grateful

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 20

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The tumor is terminal sir. The copper has actually corroded. You could use electrolysis, bit the coin will turn shiny copper and still be extra chewed up.

I have been removing the compacted dirt from IHCs with the Andre pencils, with good success. But those bubbles can't be removed... sorry. The good thing is that you have a date on the coin.

Congrats on the Indian. One third of mine are bubbled like yours.

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Soak in distilled water and it should soften it and use a toothpick to remove .it may take a few days...

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The tumor is terminal sir. The copper has actually corroded. You could use electrolysis, bit the coin will turn shiny copper and still be extra chewed up.

I have been removing the compacted dirt from IHCs with the Andre pencils, with good success. But those bubbles can't be removed... sorry. The good thing is that you have a date on the coin.

Thanks Tom dated and first greenie. I take that day. For some reason they’re scarce down here or maybe It’s me : laughing7

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Soak in distilled water and it should soften it and use a toothpick to remove .it may take a few days...

I was wondering if it would leave a mark anyway since the patina wouldn’t be there.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Soak it in mineral oil or EVOO for a month or two and then use the toothpick to remove the crud.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Tom's right. Once you remove the tumor there will be nothing under it but a scar with no design left. You will find more and hopefully in an area that the soil is kinder to copper.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure how I clean it but congratulations on finding an 1800s Indian, well done. HH

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom's right. Once you remove the tumor there will be nothing under it but a scar with no design left. You will find more and hopefully in an area that the soil is kinder to copper.

One day. This Louisiana mineralized crumbling clay mud it’s tough to work with.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

First off, Congrats on the IH cent Truth1253. Secondly, a question for Tom. I've never heard of an Andre pencil before. What is an Andre pencil? Additionally, If I were to have a large one, would it be considered an Andre The Giant pencil?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Tom dated and first greenie. I take that day. For some reason they’re scarce down here or maybe It’s me : laughing7

My first couple of years,I did not find very many, like 5 per year. You have to hunt older place, ones that saw activity prior to 1920... and for me those aren’t easy to locate. Digging signals, just under a zinc cent in VDI, helped me find more. I try to dig all repeatable signals at older sites.

Really nice ones are hard to find. You did good though, green and from the 1800s, that’s what I’m talking about brother!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have and 1848 small french coin I dug last April. It was covered with the green crud. I soaked it in EVOO for a few months and was able to remove about 60% of the crud. It still has some, but looks way better. What will it hurt if you experiment on your crusty IHC? I wish I would have had the patience to do this with my 1st IHC. It had over an eight of an inch of the green crust on both sides. I used some electrolysis to clean it up. Maybe too much. I now reserve electrolysis for rusted iron.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
First off, Congrats on the IH cent Truth1253. Secondly, a question for Tom. I've never heard of an Andre pencil before. What is an Andre pencil? Additionally, If I were to have a large one, would it be considered an Andre The Giant pencil?

There is a guy selling these cleaning pencils. I have a new iPad and am not good at using it yet, or I’d paste you a link in here. Google: Andres coin cleaning pencils. I don’t want to promote the guy because I had to pay for the damn things! I found them to do an excellent job getting the impacted dirt off of IHCs and Two centers. When I used to clean them, it ruined the green patina, the pencils leave the patina. Here is the before and after pics.

Sorry to highjack your thread Truth, but Evo made me do it, he made me promote these dang pencils too and I didn’t want to do that either. This guy is a menace.

No relationship exists between the 7’4” pugilist and the pencil. JMHO sir.

77E15896-F77D-472E-8D8D-7B6250A66E57.jpeg 0B5ED710-7F88-4A49-AE79-261C0604ED3A.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Classic! Lol

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a guy selling these cleaning pencils. I have a new iPad and am not good at using it yet, or I’d paste you a link in here. Google: Andres Coin cleaning pencils. I don’t want to promote the guy because I had to pay for the damn things! I found them to do an excellent job getting the impacted dirt off of IHCs and Two centers. When I used to clean them, it ruined the green patina, the pencils leave the patina. Here is the before and after pics.

Sorry to highjack youR thread Truth, but Evo made me do it, he made me promote these dang pencils too and I didn’t want to do that either. This guy is an menace.

View attachment 1520603 View attachment 1520604

Caroline or you can hijack my thread any day

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a guy selling these cleaning pencils. I have a new iPad and am not good at using it yet, or I’d paste you a link in here. Google: Andres coin cleaning pencils. I don’t want to promote the guy because I had to pay for the damn things! I found them to do an excellent job getting the impacted dirt off of IHCs and Two centers. When I used to clean them, it ruined the green patina, the pencils leave the patina. Here is the before and after pics.

Sorry to highjack your thread Truth, but Evo made me do it, he made me promote these dang pencils too and I didn’t want to do that either. This guy is a menace.

View attachment 1520603 View attachment 1520604
Lol. Sorry Tom. :laughing7::tongue3:. I never can resist getting a little Andre The Giant humor into the mix. My Apologies to Truth for hijacking the thread as well. Keep hitting those older spots and the indian heads will start popping more often.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread