Were after rare coins

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
We're after rare coins

Itā€™s true that we donā€™t have much history here, Down Under, and when we say ā€˜modernā€™ we mean ā€˜modernā€™, and not the 18th century ;D. However, itā€™s also true that some of Australian vintage coins will outprice valuable ancient finds and common-date gold coins. There is a slim chance of finding them but I would not miss trying. Thatā€™s why I just love 1900+ sites. A week ago we were crossing an abandoned industrial zone of 1980ā€™s (AD) and spotted in the dry grass shards of black whiskey and case gin bottles that are about 100 years older than the zone itself. There were also remains of amethyst glass so common during the turn of 20th century. Among them we picked up this colourful marble.

marble001.jpg

It is possible that the zone was built over a household circa the later part of the 19th century. We decided to give this zone a go. A lot of good targets kept us busy. I mean the targets were giving good readings on Explorer and were raising some hopes till we were unearthing them :-[. Soon we had a huge bagful of agro machinery spare parts and could assemble our very own tractor. When we were at the point of leaving the place, the first coin - Ā½ penny of 1922 - popped up. The wrong date. Minted a year later, it would have been a scarce one. Then on the border of some big piece of alum crap we heard a half-signal and decided to dig it. Again Ā½ penny. This time of 1935. A common coin but its condition and patina are incredible.

1935halfpenny001.jpg

If something rare is out there, it will be in a very good shape because this industrial waste is kind to relics. After all those spare parts we were not so keen on digging louder signals but tried a coupla and got a florin of 1918 and a vintage sterling bangle with turquoise.

turquoisebangle001.jpg

1918florin001.jpg

In the same hole we found those pretty black bakelite buttons of 1920ā€™s ā€“ 1930ā€™s. They are called antique by collectors to set them apart from the later plastic buttons.

bakelitebuttons001.jpg

The next week weā€™re coming back. We might not find anything but at least I will know that we are not leaving money behind.

Upvote 0

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Re: We're after rare coins

Nice finds!
Way to keep those eyes open. If you hadn't spotted that glass you probably would have never hit that site.
Good luck when you go back.
Mike

hikeinmts

Bronze Member
Dec 13, 2008
South Korea
Detector(s) used
Cobra II/Minelab Sovereign
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Way to go. Must be a bad feeling, not thinking you will find anything old. But what you are finding at that site are definately
some good finds. Dig all signals......you are seeing that, with the great coin find and bracelet find.
Will look forward to seeing more reports of good finds. :thumbsup:

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

very nice finds, that bangle would have made my day as I love turquoise. thanks for sharing.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Looks like the site just may pay off kep digging those signals you never know what is there.....Matt

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
šŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tuatara said:
Itā€™s true that we donā€™t have much history here, Down Under, and when we say ā€˜modernā€™ we mean ā€˜modernā€™, and not the 18th century ;D. However, itā€™s also true that some of Australian vintage coins will outprice valuable ancient finds and common-date gold coins. There is a slim chance of finding them but I would not miss trying. Thatā€™s why I just love 1900+ sites. A week ago we were crossing an abandoned industrial zone of 1980ā€™s (AD) and spotted in the dry grass shards of black whiskey and case gin bottles that are about 100 years older than the zone itself. There were also remains of amethyst glass so common during the turn of 20th century. Among them we picked up this colourful marble.

It is possible that the zone was built over a household circa the later part of the 19th century. We decided to give this zone a go. A lot of good targets kept us busy. I mean the targets were giving good readings on Explorer and were raising some hopes till we were unearthing them :-[. Soon we had a huge bagful of agro machinery spare parts and could assemble our very own tractor. When we were at the point of leaving the place, the first coin - Ā½ penny of 1922 - popped up. The wrong date. Minted a year later, it would have been a scarce one. Then on the border of some big piece of alum crap we heard a half-signal and decided to dig it. Again Ā½ penny. This time of 1935. A common coin but its condition and patina are incredible.

If something rare is out there, it will be in a very good shape because this industrial waste is kind to relics. After all those spare parts we were not so keen on digging louder signals but tried a coupla and got a florin of 1918 and a vintage sterling bangle with turquoise.

In the same hole we found those pretty black bakelite buttons of 1920ā€™s ā€“ 1930ā€™s. They are called antique by collectors to set them apart from the later plastic buttons.

The next week weā€™re coming back. We might not find anything but at least I will know that we are not leaving money behind.

do what you know :icon_thumright:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Your not the only ones looking for those rare coins lol Yes 1923 half would be nice , i would take the 1923 silvers too Good luck with your site and thanks for sharing

tinpan

OP
OP
tuatara

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE

Your not the only ones looking for those rare coins
Bad news :-[
I will take 21/22 overdate too. But most of all I have cravings for mule. :tongue3:

IronSpike

Silver Member
Feb 24, 2009
NC
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome finds tuatara :hello2: Should be more to come from this site :sunny:

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer

PING !! JUST HUNTED OUT ONE OF YOUR POSTINGS.....neat finds and well put together..me , im just a learning novice but starting to get the goods...good on ya mate..never know huh!! might dig a few holes 2 gether and i'll nail the tiki and you the mere..cheers des..ps this is a lovely old coin i got some months ago 1858 peace and plenty..here in taupo just below the ...hell run out of chars...

Attachments

• 1850.JPG
    1850.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,036
  • 1850.JPG
    1850.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,045
OP
OP
tuatara

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE

PING !! JUST HUNTED OUT ONE OF YOUR POSTINGS.....neat finds and well put together..me , im just a learning novice but starting to get the goods...good on ya mate..never know huh!! might dig a few holes 2 gether and i'll nail the tiki and you the mere..cheers des..ps this is a lovely old coin i got some months ago 1858 peace and plenty..here in taupo just below the ...hell run out of chars...

Is it Melbourne peace and plenty token, mate? Looking forward to swinging coils 2gether and eye-balling for mere and tiki.

Thanks everyone for viewing :icon_sunny:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
šŸ„‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great post and history. Enjoy your history and your finds. Thanks for sharing with us.
Happy hunting
TnMountains

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer

tuatara said:

Is it Melbourne peace and plenty token, mate? Looking forward to swinging coils 2gether and eye-balling for mere and tiki.

Thanks everyone for viewing :icon_sunny:
yes tuatara made in melbourne ..thrown away in taupo...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread