What a day it was!!!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
What a day it was! DP Bob, Watercolor & I met up at an old house. Skinny Puppy called Bob and accepted Bob's offer to come out and join us. Within a few minutes of beginning actual hunting, Skinny Puppy got two very cool finds. We stayed at that house for a few hours, and I was able to coax up a very worn 1911 S Barber dime, a '47 Rosie, about five wheats, an old "Chicago City Police" uniform button and a 1967 Rabies tag (very cool to me) ;D. We had another property to hit in the afternoon, so we took a break and had a nice lunch.

We all met up at the second property. More finds came for everyone at that spot. I added four more wheats, a pocket spill with two wheats, a 1905 Indian, and a 1919 buffalo all stuck together, and 1940 silver George. Poor Bob wasn't having any luck with silver, and in fact was trying to break his silver drought. I thought I had a good quarter signal at just the right depth, so I called Bob over to see if he wanted it. He dug it and out popped a clad quarter. :( After a while, I was headed to a corner of the property when I passed over another good signal. Bob still hadn't dug a silver, so I told him to dig that one. Well, several inches down was a silver quarter. We rinsed it off and found that it wasn't just any silver quarter, it was a 1917 S SLQ with great detail. :o

I told Bob that it was his, but being the gent that he is, he refused to take it. :icon_king: After several minutes of "you take it - no you take it", Watercolor went off to resume hunting, laughed, and said "Well, congratulations! I don't know to which one of you, but congratulations anyway!" I wrapped it up and put it in my pocket. Bob got silver a little later on.

This was a great day all around, and what this hobby is really all about. The weather was nice, we hit two great spots, had a nice lunch, we had a blast laughing and joking with each other out in the grass, and everyone went home with at least one prize. It was good to see Skinny Puppy out again. Thanks Bob, for lining up that big property to share with us, and for giving me that SLQ. Thanks to the property owners, too. They let us dig all afternoon on their land and told us to have fun and come back again if we want to!

Good finds.jpg

SLQ small.jpg

Here's a shot of our group's better finds for the day. (Thanks for the idea, Kermit) I had to insert a pic of Skinny Puppy's hand with his finds because after he left we found more good coins, so the picture needed to be retaken.

Our silvers small.jpg

Thanks for checking out my post and HH!
Neil

Upvote 0

DrGrip

Apr 12, 2009
North, Texas
Detector(s) used
White's XLT & Quick Draw II
Looks like a great day was had by all! I loved the "no you take it" part!

I've never hunted with a group and it's really starting to sound like fun after seeing this post and a couple of others.

Grip

MikeOregon

Nov 26, 2005
Detector(s) used
White's V3
Nice haul!!!!

Thanks for the good story and the great coins. Give us all hope that one day we will have a day like that.

Mike

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Neil

Here's some of what I typed up when I got home, I mean the dog house.

At the 2nd house I went probably 2 hour’s with out a good keeper.
Neil ( the nice guy that he is ) said here Bob, dig this signal ….turned out to be a clad quarter
A good hour later and the only one with no silver ,Neil again says here check this signal out.
( I wish I would have had this on video )
I go over the spot  hummmm nice quarter signal 6 ½ inches deep.
Neil tells me to go for it it’s yours.
I dig the hole and probe it and it’s still in the hole. Hummmm
I pop the coin up and see the reeded edge and we were both looking at it.
I pulled it and laid it on the dirt pile.
I thought it was a Barber  " No Come on " so Neil put it in water and it turned out to be….
( Drum Rollllllllll )    a  Beautiful 1917 S Type 1 SLQ  at least vf maybe xf
Neil told me it was mine. It’s yours. No it’s yours You keep it you dug it
No it’s yours you found it I just dug it. No you keep it I’m a man of my words he said.
There was no way I was going to keep that beauty. To be honest, if it was a common Washington I would have, but this beauty belonged to the friend that located it. I would not feel right keeping it nor would I want a friend like Neil to have that awful feeling of he let that beauty get away from him.
The event happening even made that find a bit more special …. KARMA
There is a story to go with that Beautiful Coin….I’m glad I was a part of it too.
Thanks Neil for the thrill being part of that find… 

And also Congrats on all your other great finds

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, that SLQ is XF and is a $175 coin! Jeez Louise!

What is it with all the nice SLQ's lately?

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
That is one beautiful SLQ, Neil! :o ::)

What a great time you guys had. You're right! That's what it's all about! A great time with friends! :thumbsup:

I'm glad I finally got to see a post from you. It was worth the wait! :icon_king:

Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
Holy crap Batman!!! Not only does the SLQ have a date its near perfect. Wish I could find one!! Nice Finds :thumbsup:

John987

Jan 13, 2009
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Compass X-80 Challenger, Yukon 77B Professional
Wow! You guys had a great day!
Nice finds............ and a Super nice SLQ!

jOHN

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil, that is one magnificent quarter :thumbsup: and you were
having a spectacular day even BEFORE you found it :)

It was great that all of us could get together for a really wonderful
hunt and I'm looking forward to get back there sometime soon. . . :icon_sunny:

So. . . what do you want to find tomorrow? ;D

Take care,
Mark

Slipperyjack47

Apr 5, 2008
Solon Springs Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Procoil and SEF coils Bounty Hunter Lone Star
I am heading out to the local goat farm if that is what it takes to get an SLQ as nice as this and the ones being found lately!

HH
Slipperyjack47

t-bucket

Bronze Member
Oct 7, 2007
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
e-track- Explorer SE explorer 2 -
WTG Neil, That SLQ is sweet !!!! Looks like the one I found last year. Congrats on the silver !!! Good luck on your next hunt !!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a real nice SLQ. I'd say EF-40 or 45. $100-150 coin. VERY NICE! :thumbsup:

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Now that's a sweet pile of silver, the SLQ is soooo nice :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread