What a day it was!!!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
What a day it was! DP Bob, Watercolor & I met up at an old house. Skinny Puppy called Bob and accepted Bob's offer to come out and join us. Within a few minutes of beginning actual hunting, Skinny Puppy got two very cool finds. We stayed at that house for a few hours, and I was able to coax up a very worn 1911 S Barber dime, a '47 Rosie, about five wheats, an old "Chicago City Police" uniform button and a 1967 Rabies tag (very cool to me) ;D. We had another property to hit in the afternoon, so we took a break and had a nice lunch.

We all met up at the second property. More finds came for everyone at that spot. I added four more wheats, a pocket spill with two wheats, a 1905 Indian, and a 1919 buffalo all stuck together, and 1940 silver George. Poor Bob wasn't having any luck with silver, and in fact was trying to break his silver drought. I thought I had a good quarter signal at just the right depth, so I called Bob over to see if he wanted it. He dug it and out popped a clad quarter. :( After a while, I was headed to a corner of the property when I passed over another good signal. Bob still hadn't dug a silver, so I told him to dig that one. Well, several inches down was a silver quarter. We rinsed it off and found that it wasn't just any silver quarter, it was a 1917 S SLQ with great detail. :o

I told Bob that it was his, but being the gent that he is, he refused to take it. :icon_king: After several minutes of "you take it - no you take it", Watercolor went off to resume hunting, laughed, and said "Well, congratulations! I don't know to which one of you, but congratulations anyway!" I wrapped it up and put it in my pocket. Bob got silver a little later on.

This was a great day all around, and what this hobby is really all about. The weather was nice, we hit two great spots, had a nice lunch, we had a blast laughing and joking with each other out in the grass, and everyone went home with at least one prize. It was good to see Skinny Puppy out again. Thanks Bob, for lining up that big property to share with us, and for giving me that SLQ. Thanks to the property owners, too. They let us dig all afternoon on their land and told us to have fun and come back again if we want to!

Good finds.jpg

SLQ small.jpg

Here's a shot of our group's better finds for the day. (Thanks for the idea, Kermit) I had to insert a pic of Skinny Puppy's hand with his finds because after he left we found more good coins, so the picture needed to be retaken.

Our silvers small.jpg

Thanks for checking out my post and HH!
Neil

Upvote 0

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Nice bunch of finds for you guys!

That quarter's sure in gorgeous shape, so it must've been dropped in 1917 or 1918.
Glad Bob finally broke his silver drought.
Mike

OP
OP
kimsdad

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Detector(s) used
DrGrip said:
Looks like a great day was had by all! I loved the "no you take it" part!
I've never hunted with a group and it's really starting to sound like fun after seeing this post and a couple of others.
Grip
Glad you liked it, Dr.Grip! Hunting with pals is the best way to make this hobby more fun. I've made some real good friends through MD'ing. Everyone is happy when one person makes a good find, and it's great to have someone to share the excitement with. Definitely give it a try!

MikeOregon said:
Nice haul!!!!
Thanks for the good story and the great coins. Give us all hope that one day we will have a day like that.
Mike
Thanks Mike! Yeah, it happens when you least expect it, it seems...

Bob S said:
Nice Finds WTG
Thanks, Bob!

DP BOB said:
Thanks Neil
Here's some of what I typed up when I got home, I mean the dog house.... ...There is a story to go with that Beautiful Coin….I’m glad I was a part of it too. Thanks Neil for the thrill being part of that find… And also Congrats on all your other great finds
Like I said in my PM, Bob - I was 250 feet away from you on the other side of the house, wearing headphones and standing by the road traffic when I heard you yelling. I smiled, because I knew you had just broken the drought. :D Thanks for making it a fun hunt! :wink:
thrillathahunt said:
Dude, that SLQ is XF and is a $175 coin! Jeez Louise!
What is it with all the nice SLQ's lately?
Thanks TATH! DP Bob found one in identical condition that sold on rip-off-bay for $90. Nice to know, but this one is a keeper and isn't going anywhere! ;D

Chicago Ron said:
Nice day boys! thats one pretty lady!!!!
Thanks, Ron! Those are great seateds you found! Nice Website you have and a great vid of the quarter recovery, too!

Captn_SE said:
That is one beautiful SLQ, Neil! :o ::)
What a great time you guys had. You're right! That's what it's all about! A great time with friends! :thumbsup:
I'm glad I finally got to see a post from you. It was worth the wait! :icon_king:
Congrats,
CAPTN SE
Dan
Thanks, Dan!! It was nice hitting virgin ground! I wish I could do this at the hard-hunted parks like you do!

silvereagle78 said:
Holy crap Batman!!! Not only does the SLQ have a date its near perfect. Wish I could find one!! Nice Finds :thumbsup:
Thanks, Silvereagle!

NUKE345KV said:
looks like a good day with good friends
Yep. The most fun hunt so far! Time well spent.

John987 said:
Wow! You guys had a great day!
Nice finds............ and a Super nice SLQ!
jOHN
Thanks, John!

plehbah said:
I had to ooh and aah over that one for a minute.
I called my girlfriend over to see it, and she said "look honey! he found your quarter!"
I explained to her that is not how it works. I explained to her that we must increase our quota of goat sacrifice for a quarter like yours.
That is a great one. I really want one of those.
Thanks, Plehbah! I'm proud to have caught your discerning eye! You can take it easy on the goats, though. I've found that sacrificing chocolate easter bunnies works just as well. I recomment starting on the ears... ;D

watercolor said:
Neil, that is one magnificent quarter :thumbsup: and you were
having a spectacular day even BEFORE you found it :)
It was great that all of us could get together for a really wonderful hunt and I'm looking forward to get back there sometime soon. . . :icon_sunny:
So. . . what do you want to find tomorrow? ;D
Take care,
Mark
Thanks Mark! Yesterday was a fantastic day for all of us!! The only thing I would have done differently is ordered the chicken pita and onion rings that Patrick had! ;D

beetle662

Bronze Member
Jul 25, 2003
Independence, KY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+
What a great day! Congrats to everyone on a great hunt and a great day together with good friends!

That SLQ is amazing! Best one I've seen in a long time!

Congrats again!!! :thumbsup:

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All's I can say is THATS AWESOME!!!!!! Great unt guys!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

twistidd

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2007
Chicago
Detector(s) used
White's Matrix M6 w/ Sun-Ray DX-1, 950 coil and 6x10 DD, Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett Ace 250, Garmin Etrex GPS
The one day I pass on detecting and everyone is finding large cents, indians, SLQ's, halves, Washingtons, Barbers, V's, Buffs...and on and on.

That looks incredible. You guys sure had a field day! Congrats to you all.

I am seriously humbled by your finds. I would be elated to hit #5 for silver by the end of the month.

Joe

litefire56

Bronze Member
May 14, 2008
Illinois
Detector(s) used
DFX -10x12 SEF, 300mm, 10"DD, 6x10DD, Sunray DX-1
Oh man Neil, what a day! I knew we should have hooked up with you guys yesterday.
Getting one of everything too! Great hunt!
Beautiful SLQ!!!!!

John

MarkinIa

Nov 10, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-505
That sure is a sweeet SLQ, Congrats.

It sounds like you guys had a great time.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
if I remember correctly thats the "bared breast" SLQ -- and is a big bucks collector item way to go .

Finman

Mar 21, 2009
Seymour, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab - Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice haul of fine coins!!! Love the Beautiful Detail on the SLQ!!!!!

HH Joe

OP
OP
kimsdad

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Detector(s) used
bilt46 said:
That's a lot of nice silver... Beautiful Quarter..
BillT.
Thanks, Bill!

Slipperyjack47 said:
I am heading out to the local goat farm if that is what it takes to get an SLQ as nice as this and the ones being found lately!
HH
Slipperyjack47
Thanks Slipperyjack47! Check my reply to Plehbah... ;D

tymcmurray said:
It's always a good hunt, when everybody goes home
with some booty!!! Looks great.
Thank you! Yeah, it feels real good when no one is left out!

t-bucket said:
WTG Neil, That SLQ is sweet !!!! Looks like the one I found last year. Congrats on the silver !!! Good luck on your next hunt !!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks, man!! I'm trying to do as well as you guys do. Even if I only get halfway there, I'll be doing well! :wink:

briankb70 said:
looks like you all had a greeeaaaaaaaattttttttttttt day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Indeed! :wink: HH to you!
hogge said:
That is a real nice SLQ. I'd say EF-40 or 45. $100-150 coin. VERY NICE! :thumbsup:
Thanks hogge! That whole day was worth at least $200 to me just in the great time we all had!

pepperj said:
Now that's a sweet pile of silver, the SLQ is soooo nice :thumbsup:
Thanks pepperj!!

cntrydncr1 said:
That is a great hunt! congrats
Thanks cntrydncr!!

John Deere Digger said:
Super dig, hunting with friends is always great. Nice bunch of silver.
JDD
I agree with you! Thanks, JDD!

allen said:
looks like a good day of
hunting with all of that silver.... :thumbsup:
Thanks Allen!! HH and lots of silver to you!

mikewaz said:
Nice bunch of finds for you guys!
That quarter's sure in gorgeous shape, so it must've been dropped in 1917 or 1918.
Glad Bob finally broke his silver drought.
Mike
Thanks, Mike! It was a blast!

Brett

Bronze Member
May 8, 2008
Montgomery, IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-TRAC w/Sunray X-1
WOW, congrats on that SLQ! Super Quality :) Good thing you had Bob dig it up because he worked it out without a scratch. I really don't feel right accepting another's located item though... that's the hardest part about getting the treasure. You definitely would have been missing that one ;)

STH69

Bronze Member
Feb 17, 2009
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter, ACE 250 with 9X12 coil
very clean nickel, nice

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brett said:
WOW, congrats on that SLQ! Super Quality :) Good thing you had Bob dig it up because he worked it out without a scratch.

Was that directed towards me? Sheesh, I scratch the heck out of one semi key SLQ and I'm gonna hear about it for the rest of my life... :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread