What a day it was!!!

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
What a day it was! DP Bob, Watercolor & I met up at an old house. Skinny Puppy called Bob and accepted Bob's offer to come out and join us. Within a few minutes of beginning actual hunting, Skinny Puppy got two very cool finds. We stayed at that house for a few hours, and I was able to coax up a very worn 1911 S Barber dime, a '47 Rosie, about five wheats, an old "Chicago City Police" uniform button and a 1967 Rabies tag (very cool to me) ;D. We had another property to hit in the afternoon, so we took a break and had a nice lunch.

We all met up at the second property. More finds came for everyone at that spot. I added four more wheats, a pocket spill with two wheats, a 1905 Indian, and a 1919 buffalo all stuck together, and 1940 silver George. Poor Bob wasn't having any luck with silver, and in fact was trying to break his silver drought. I thought I had a good quarter signal at just the right depth, so I called Bob over to see if he wanted it. He dug it and out popped a clad quarter. :( After a while, I was headed to a corner of the property when I passed over another good signal. Bob still hadn't dug a silver, so I told him to dig that one. Well, several inches down was a silver quarter. We rinsed it off and found that it wasn't just any silver quarter, it was a 1917 S SLQ with great detail. :o

I told Bob that it was his, but being the gent that he is, he refused to take it. :icon_king: After several minutes of "you take it - no you take it", Watercolor went off to resume hunting, laughed, and said "Well, congratulations! I don't know to which one of you, but congratulations anyway!" I wrapped it up and put it in my pocket. Bob got silver a little later on.

This was a great day all around, and what this hobby is really all about. The weather was nice, we hit two great spots, had a nice lunch, we had a blast laughing and joking with each other out in the grass, and everyone went home with at least one prize. It was good to see Skinny Puppy out again. Thanks Bob, for lining up that big property to share with us, and for giving me that SLQ. Thanks to the property owners, too. They let us dig all afternoon on their land and told us to have fun and come back again if we want to!

Good finds.jpg

SLQ small.jpg

Here's a shot of our group's better finds for the day. (Thanks for the idea, Kermit) I had to insert a pic of Skinny Puppy's hand with his finds because after he left we found more good coins, so the picture needed to be retaken.

Our silvers small.jpg

Thanks for checking out my post and HH!
Neil

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TreasureFiend said:
Brett said:
WOW, congrats on that SLQ! Super Quality :) Good thing you had Bob dig it up because he worked it out without a scratch.

Was that directed towards me? Sheesh, I scratch the heck out of one semi key SLQ and I'm gonna hear about it for the rest of my life... :tongue3: :tongue3: :tongue3:

LOL

mlhudson

Mar 19, 2006
GADSDEN, ALA.
Detector(s) used
All White's Detectors MXT and IDX_pro, ANY OLD DETECTOR WILL DO
WAY TO GO GUYS- CONGRATES ON THE FINDS :thumbsup:

KEEPA DIGGIN

MLHUDSON

Jazdo

Oct 11, 2007
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes,Golden Sabre II, & Inca!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome hunts.. SLQ is sweet one of the best designed coins IMO. The Buffalo was kept good by the other coin..too cool..

OP
OP
kimsdad

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Detector(s) used
silverfreak said:
AWESOME digs Neil. Way to go buddy. :thumbsup:
That slq is SWEEEET :wink:
Thanks, brother Bryce! It was a shocker!

beetle662 said:
What a great day! Congrats to everyone on a great hunt and a great day together with good friends!
That SLQ is amazing! Best one I've seen in a long time!
Congrats again!!! :thumbsup:
Thanks, Beetle!

crazyjarhead said:
WTG Neil on a nice pile of coins. That walker is a beauty :icon_sunny: I need to find one of those :thumbsup:
Thanks Ron, I appreciate it! With the old properties you line up, you are bound to get one! :wink:

twistidd said:
The one day I pass on detecting and everyone is finding large cents, indians, SLQ's, halves, Washingtons, Barbers, V's, Buffs...and on and on.
That looks incredible. You guys sure had a field day! Congrats to you all.
I am seriously humbled by your finds. I would be elated to hit #5 for silver by the end of the month.
Joe
Ahh Joe.... The price you pay for romance...

Marry that girl so the romance goes away and you can do some serious hunting like the rest of us!!! ;D

litefire56 said:
Oh man Neil, what a day! I knew we should have hooked up with you guys yesterday.
Getting one of everything too! Great hunt!
Beautiful SLQ!!!!!
John
Thanks, John. It was truly a one in a thousand day!!!

whitesPA said:
nice load of silver
Thanks WPA! I appreciate it!

Gibbsium said:
Awesome quarter, just awesome.
Thanks Patrick! Been out lately yourself??

MarkinIa said:
That sure is a sweeet SLQ, Congrats.
It sounds like you guys had a great time.
Thanks Mark! It was a wonderful day!!

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your great finds.
I love the Standing Liberty.
I have not found one yet, but probably will this year with my new E-Trac.
HH

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good day!!! Wish I could have one like that!!

OP
OP
kimsdad

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Detector(s) used
wyattrr said:
Now that's what I call a hunt...Great group digs. Congrats and HH
Thanks, Wyatt!

ivan salis said:
if I remember correctly thats the "bared breast" SLQ -- and is a big bucks collector item way to go .
Thanks, man! One like it sold on rip-off bay for $90!

Finman said:
Nice haul of fine coins!!! Love the Beautiful Detail on the SLQ!!!!!
HH Joe
Thanks, Joe!! :wink:

Nick Pappagiorgio said:
I am going with SPLENDORIGHTEOUS ... :thumbsup:
Truly a STELLAR assortment of Argento ...
Neil & the Boys from Illi ~ Continue to Rock On & Persevere ...
~ Nick ~
Thanks, brother Nick!! SPLENDORIGHTEOUS, eh? I'd like to hear that more often! ;D

Brett said:
WOW, congrats on that SLQ! Super Quality :) Good thing you had Bob dig it up because he worked it out without a scratch. I really don't feel right accepting another's located item though... that's the hardest part about getting the treasure. You definitely would have been missing that one ;)
Thanks, Brett! Say, you wouldn't be referring to my little "incident" I had with that Merc, were you? ;D
Merc owie.jpg

STH69 said:
very clean nickel, nice
Thanks!

artzstuff1 said:
Very good day for you guys,,!!! what a pile of goodies,,,thanks for sharin!!!!
arthur
Thanks a bunch! I'm glad you liked it! :wink:

ModernMiner said:
Holy smokes guys!!!! What a great day indeed. :o
That SLQ is a BEAUTY. :thumbsup: I dug the same year about a year ago, but not in that condition. :wink:
That POLICE button is a super find too KD.
Congrats to all,
MM
Thanks Doug!! I love that quarter, but for me the police button and the dog tag coming out of the first property have a special meaning for me. I agree with you - it's a cool old button.

mlhudson said:
WAY TO GO GUYS- CONGRATES ON THE FINDS :thumbsup:
KEEPA DIGGIN
MLHUDSON
Thanks ML - Now that's all I want to do - (keeping on digging) ;D

Jazdo said:
Awesome hunts.. SLQ is sweet one of the best designe coins IMO. The Buffalo was kept good by the other coin..too cool..
I appreciate it, Jazdo!!

rodgerdodger said:
Congratulations on all that silver and group hunt.
Thanks Jazdo!!

WaSaBi said:
Congratulations on your great finds.
I love the Standing Liberty.
I have not found one yet, but probably will this year with my new E-Trac.
HH

Thanks Wasabi!! Nice machine you have there! What part of our state are you in?
olekyground said:
Very good day!!! Wish I could have one like that!!
Thank you! You will have a day like that, I'm sure!

Thanks again for all the nice comments and HH!
Neil

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good group hunt beats hunting alone anytime! I'm really glad that every body found something. Just know that I'd love to be there with you too! HH
Steve

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, that is one nice Standing. Tiny little work of art it tis.

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
WOW wow WOW wow WOW wow WOW wow WOW wow WOW ~ SUPER NICE FINDS THERE!! I especially like the 1917-s Standing Liberty Quarter! AWESOME!!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

gold nuggets

Bronze Member
Apr 5, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE, Pro coil inline probe. Also the Excal II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't get much better than that, Kimsdad!!! :thumbsup:
Nice place to hunt, everyone finds something good,
a good lunch break and good friends to hunt with.
The 1917-s SLQ is a real treasure..... congratulations.
Gold Nuggets :icon_jokercolor:

wildheart

Jan 1, 2009
Bucks County, PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Wow - Be still, my beating heart! I don't know how you guys manage to dig this stuff out without keeling over. I'd have a stroke right there! Congrats, Y'all, both on your great finds and the fun day you made. And all those memories you'll have forever. This hobby ROCKS! :icon_king:

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats one nice looking SLQ. ;D

donny nj

Jan 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! :thumbsup: that quarter is in super shape, date & all which are usually worn....nice!

Rickiowa2009

Mar 6, 2009
Cedar Rapids Iowa
Detector(s) used
GTP1350 Garrett, Xterra 705 gold pack and ace250!
Great Finds! Happy hunting!

Kimsdad said:
What a day it was! DP Bob, Watercolor & I met up at an old house. Skinny Puppy called Bob and accepted Bob's offer to come out and join us. Within a few minutes of beginning actual hunting, Skinny Puppy got two very cool finds. We stayed at that house for a few hours, and I was able to coax up a very worn 1911 S Barber dime, a '47 Rosie, about five wheats, an old "Chicago City Police" uniform button and a 1967 Rabies tag (very cool to me) ;D. We had another property to hit in the afternoon, so we took a break and had a nice lunch.

We all met up at the second property. More finds came for everyone at that spot. I added four more wheats, a pocket spill with two wheats, a 1905 Indian, and a 1919 buffalo all stuck together, and 1940 silver George. Poor Bob wasn't having any luck with silver, and in fact was trying to break his silver drought. I thought I had a good quarter signal at just the right depth, so I called Bob over to see if he wanted it. He dug it and out popped a clad quarter. :( After a while, I was headed to a corner of the property when I passed over another good signal. Bob still hadn't dug a silver, so I told him to dig that one. Well, several inches down was a silver quarter. We rinsed it off and found that it wasn't just any silver quarter, it was a 1917 S SLQ with great detail. :o

I told Bob that it was his, but being the gent that he is, he refused to take it. :icon_king: After several minutes of "you take it - no you take it", Watercolor went off to resume hunting, laughed, and said "Well, congratulations! I don't know to which one of you, but congratulations anyway!" I wrapped it up and put it in my pocket. Bob got silver a little later on.

This was a great day all around, and what this hobby is really all about. The weather was nice, we hit two great spots, had a nice lunch, we had a blast laughing and joking with each other out in the grass, and everyone went home with at least one prize. It was good to see Skinny Puppy out again. Thanks Bob, for lining up that big property to share with us, and for giving me that SLQ. Thanks to the property owners, too. They let us dig all afternoon on their land and told us to have fun and come back again if we want to!

Here's a shot of our group's better finds for the day. (Thanks for the idea, Kermit) I had to insert a pic of Skinny Puppy's hand with his finds because after he left we found more good coins, so the picture needed to be retaken.

Thanks for checking out my post and HH!
Neil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread