Nixa, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,
Garrett AT Pro,
Garrett GTAX 550,
Fisher gold bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crap crap and more crap. my first mistake of the day was taking the advice of an idiot that knows nothing of the states history and checked out an area that supposedly once had an old V&T Railroad depot. second mistake was dragging my wife along with me but i wont get into that. well i did find the area where the track once laid but that was it after digging up my share of nails and tin soup cans i was getting disappointed and then i hit something i thought was going to be really nice. well after digging for over 20 min to a depth of 9 inches i realized it was a buried rail road tie >:( you see my frustration. so i left that site went to the picnic area of an old lake and found more crap junk clad and i think one penny 1987 and one dime 2000 anyway. spent a couple hours there and started heading home when i decided to stop at an old park so i went out to the volley ball court and scanned both sides for over 2 hours found NOTHING!!!! then i asked a park attendant if he new anything about the court and yes he did they just put it in a week ago :-\ so i left there and decided one more spot which was the local reservoir and i must have found enough nails to build a boat with and that's it just nails. I'm getting frustrated and i just started detecting. i spent 10 hours today out and about and didn't even find a dollars worth in change. am i doing something wrong or what? ??? i did find a button and some plate looking thing maybe someone on here might know something about let me know if you do. i hope my bad luck streak goes away soon. >:(

Attachments

• P1010081.JPG
    P1010081.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 632
  • P1010082.JPG
    P1010082.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 628
  • P1010086.JPG
    P1010086.JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 632
  • P1010087.JPG
    P1010087.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 626
  • P1010088.JPG
    P1010088.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 583
  • P1010089.JPG
    P1010089.JPG
    28.8 KB · Views: 595
  • P1010090.JPG
    P1010090.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 627
Upvote 0

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
You still got out swinging and that makes it a good day in my book!

Next time you are starting to go deeper on a target than you either
a) initially thought it was due to a depth reading on your machine that you are already surpassing or:
b) expected to find a target because of the depth of OTHER targets in the area

...raise your coil slowly off the ground as you sweep over the target. Continue raising it and note if the machine continues to respond to the target (in discrim mode...not all-metal pinpoint)
A small target like a coin that is DEEP will be lost pretty quickly (within raising an inch or more) but a deep large ferrous object (like you described) that is tricking your machine into a coin response will continue to trigger a response even with the coil 6" or more off the ground. That type of target often doesn't deserve the shovel if it's small coin-sized stuff you're seeking.

Tubecity

Bronze Member
Mar 11, 2007
sw Pa.
I like the post from Crusader about looking at all the finds on this
site & thinking everyday is payday. Reminds me of people watching
soap-operas & thinking that's how everyones lives are.

DFX-SE Gregg

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 SE and DFX
CRUSADER said:
The only thing your probably doing wrong is:

Looking on Tnet & thinking your find this sort of stuff right away.

It seems from you post that this MDing is winding you up! Its meant to be fun & help you unwind from a hard days work. Keep at it & chill & the finds will come.

Unless you double your goal and then it becomes an obsession.... :D ;)

bill gent

Sep 22, 2006
jersey city new jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
any day you can get up is a a good day . me I love to just md with friends or a mate (if shes interested) an share a day. Don't care if i find anything or not. Im in this hobby to have fun not make a profit because when you u have to find stuff then it becomes an obsession and it's def not fun anymore

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Danimal said:
You still got out swinging and that makes it a good day in my book!

Next time you are starting to go deeper on a target than you either
a) initially thought it was due to a depth reading on your machine that you are already surpassing or:
b) expected to find a target because of the depth of OTHER targets in the area

...raise your coil slowly off the ground as you sweep over the target. Continue raising it and note if the machine continues to respond to the target (in discrim mode...not all-metal pinpoint)
A small target like a coin that is DEEP will be lost pretty quickly (within raising an inch or more) but a deep large ferrous object (like you described) that is tricking your machine into a coin response will continue to trigger a response even with the coil 6" or more off the ground. That type of target often doesn't deserve the shovel if it's small coin-sized stuff you're seeking.

I agree somewhat with your analysis. However I like to clear big iron & even small nails, mainly because I do plough fields & larger iron may shield gold coins, or break up into smaller targets for next year. Clear the trash & treasure will come. They should call this hobby trash digging not treasure hunting!

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
CRUSADER said:
I agree somewhat with your analysis. However I like to clear big iron & even small nails, mainly because I do plough fields & larger iron may shield gold coins, or break up into smaller targets for next year. Clear the trash & treasure will come. They should call this hobby trash digging not treasure hunting!

Crusader,
I was not even touching on the fact that the iron can (and sometimes does) mask good targets that are nearby. I was just trying to help the new guy understand how to tell if the target is NOT a coin or small coin sized obect....to help eliminate his frustration after digging down and down and then pulling up a rusty pc of crap when his machine was telling him otherwise!

I also will clear iron our when I believe there's good targets about.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread